Reason sounds so much better than FL Studio - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 23-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #21
DotDotDotEllipsis
Minor Glitch
DotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the roughDotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the roughDotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Re: reason sounds so much better than fruity loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
why not the master?
What I mean is, I usually put Maximus on the master because it's far more versatile than Fruity Limiter. Limiter definitely has its uses, but not in my mastering process.

Advertisements

DotDotDotEllipsis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DotDotDotEllipsis
FunkMasterBrown (23-11-2015)
Old 23-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #22
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

Reason has an inbuilt algorithm that makes samples that have been used in FL Studio sound better. Its a marketing thing.

Its pretty complex math.

Its deep, but there is a link to an article about the technology here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

its really pretty interesting stuff.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #23
DotDotDotEllipsis
Minor Glitch
DotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the roughDotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the roughDotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the link, some great information there. I love learning about the inner workings of programs.
Old 23-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #24
saneliv
Knob Twiddler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2760

I left FL years ago... I always thought it was cause Reason could get weirder...
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #25
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460

all go rhythm

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 02:50 AM   #26
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Well duh one of them is called Reason and the other one is called Fruity Loops. They're opposites dude! Of course reason sounds better than madness. I hear Logic is good too. Apparent the pros use it.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 03:31 AM   #27
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Well duh one of them is called Reason and the other one is called Fruity Loops. They're opposites dude! Of course reason sounds better than madness. I hear Logic is good too. Apparent the pros use it.
well thats logical.

------------------
Old 24-11-2015, 05:41 AM   #28
DotDotDotEllipsis
Minor Glitch

Your joke is bad and you should feel bad... actually it was kind of okay.
Old 24-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #29
UpSides
Granular Poster
UpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

I use FL Studio mostly though I have others. For me it was mostly the purchase price. I bought it quite some time ago when it was at version 3. I paid $99, and with lifetime free updates it didn't make sense not to use it. I never gave Reason a chance because I never had the extra money and didn't save up for it when FL Studio was fulfilling my needs. I also can't imagine not using VSTs in my DAW. I don't use many anymore, but the ones I use are mostly 32 bit VSTs that I've gotten extremely comfortable with. Some people insist that Reason can do everything you need. That might be true, but changing to Reason would invalidate all my VST purchases. I don't think loading up a complete DAW to use one plugin via Rewire is a good idea. My computers are self-made ones that lag significantly behind industry-standards. I'm not a bleeding edge, or even leading edge person. I always try to make do with what I have first. Perhaps that will change if I begin making an income at this?

To sum it up, I think that Reason might have been nice for my first DAW, but when I've invested in the VSTs and learning that I have already there's just no ... reason (sorry) to do so now.
UpSides is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #30
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

reason has a few things for me that make it better.

Firstly the live automation aspects. You have all the knobs on the synths in your face, you have pitch bend wheels, filter knobs, distrotion gain knobs etc, delay knobs. Its fun to record in real time and do live automations to your music. I guess one can do this in fruity loops also but its much harder one needs to have various plugin fx open and swicth between them. The grpahics of the synth interface makes this much easier and enjoyable on reason.

Secondly, I like to get away from the pattern system. I find FLS leads to laziness and undynamic songs due to the ease of copy/paste patterns.

With reasons full length note/piano roll thing per insturment one can easily edit different parts as the song goes on. Rather than copy paste the same bassline and drum pattern for 32 bars maybe every now and then you change a note or two. Same with melody etc...Might even change melody comp;letely at a couple of points its easily done. On fruity loops i tend to just have a couple patterns, bass, melody, chords, pads, and copy paste without any variety. It breeds laziness and reduces creativity for me at least.

third, the lack of vst is a problem for reason BUT only as a non synthesising guy. If you make your own sounds you can use reason for anything. For a newb that wants many sounds and vst then reason is limited.

HOwever, reason advantage is that is has IMO 2 of the best plugins I have ever used/ Thor which is just amazing and offers so much potential and quality sounds. And the Scream 4 distotion VSt which is quite simply the most fun plugin i have ever used. Most exciting thing to use for live automations, can really make some cool sounds, songs just using this with simple notes etc....

So, overall Reason has a lot going for it but is still limited.

Also, im not used to it but arranging songs on the sequencer though not difficult is a bit messy imo. Its not the easiest layout or nicest one to you.

Then we have ableton which is what i used to use at first. This one feels and looks the most pro to me. And would be the one I would most likely use I guess but i dont have it atm and still need to learn much about it. It can be overwhelming at times.

Last edited by JayMSay; 24-11-2015 at 07:14 PM..

------------------
Old 24-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #31
DotDotDotEllipsis
Minor Glitch

You make some good points, but that's not really the topic of this thread. This thread is specifically about the sound of FL vs Reason.
Old 24-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #32
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

i know this, i was replying to guy below me.

One thing fls is good for is making fast songs and ideas....Its not so easy to create drums, bass, backing chords then try melodies on reason. Well its not hard but takes a bit time to do it all then loop it. In reason it takes literally 5sec to make a drum beat then put on the sequncer...couple more patterns for chords, bass if u like then loop it all...then u can try melodies on top.

FLS is defo the best DAW as far as speed and ease of use IMO...even fully zoomed in the piano roll on reason is still small and tricky to put notes in..So much easier on reason. And its more effort to correct/delete things as you need to go to menu and change cursor etc on FLS u just right click on note to delete it.

------------------
Old 24-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #33
DotDotDotEllipsis
Minor Glitch

I understand you were discussing with the other person; I was kind of referring to both of you, lol.
Old 25-11-2015, 12:20 AM   #34
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
Re: Reason sounds so much better than FL Studio

fair enough he detoured and i continued

------------------
Old 25-11-2015, 12:52 AM   #35
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110850
Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,421 Posts

Back in the day everyone used to say Reason's "Audio Engine" was not good enough. Cubase and Pro Tools played those same samples better.

Jay - changing DAWs will not give you a more "Pro Sound" ever. That's just not how it works. There is no shortcut, no magic fix.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 01:15 AM   #36
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Back in the day everyone used to say Reason's "Audio Engine" was not good enough. Cubase and Pro Tools played those same samples better.

Jay - changing DAWs will not give you a more "Pro Sound" ever. That's just not how it works. There is no shortcut, no magic fix.
Wrong. You heard the man.

Also, check the link in my above post, proof is in the algorithms.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 01:17 AM   #37
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110850
Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,421 Posts

Clicked link and am now questioning all my previous beliefs in music production. Once you see the visuals and compare the corresponding sounds... it's pretty amazing.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 01:39 AM   #38
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
Reason has an inbuilt algorithm that makes samples that have been used in FL Studio sound better. Its a marketing thing.

Its pretty complex math.

Its deep, but there is a link to an article about the technology here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

its really pretty interesting stuff.
You got me. hahaha. Good jam though.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 02:20 AM   #39
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

there is a reason for all off this?

------------------
Old 25-11-2015, 03:41 AM   #40
UpSides
Granular Poster
UpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

OK, I'm contributing on topic. I don't agree that Reason sounds better than FL Studio. I didn't really take this topic seriously at first. I'm one of those people that believes there's not much difference between DAWs. There are different tools and workflows, but I think we all wind up at the same place. I haven't heard any track created with Reason that wouldn't have sounded just as good if FL had been used or Ableton for that matter. There are just too many different ways of producing to think that any DAW has a distinct advantage over another. One is better for live recording. Another has a great piano roll. Another has better quality provided effects. How can we seriously say that one "sounds" better than another. Wouldn't that be determined by your sound sources?

I still don't think this is a serious topic. Some replies appear to be tongue-in-cheek to me. This sounds just like the "audio engine" wars debate which has been settled time and again by comparing input and output files.

Advertisements

UpSides is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote