Side Chain Compression. Yay! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 30-10-2015, 01:02 AM   #21
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32910
Re: Side Chain Compression. Yay!

Yeah man i wouldn't use multiple compressors in series for a side chain pumping effect
Someone more knowledgable than I could correct me if I am wrong but that doesn't seem the place to use compressors in series
You can for sure use serial compression for other applications tho for a more subtle effect but I think in the case of getting a side chain style pump going it's the opposite of what you want!

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 02:08 AM   #22
Bergnermd
Soundscaper
Bergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 4960

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Yeah man i wouldn't use multiple compressors in series for a side chain pumping effect
Someone more knowledgable than I could correct me if I am wrong but that doesn't seem the place to use compressors in series
You can for sure use serial compression for other applications tho for a more subtle effect but I think in the case of getting a side chain style pump going it's the opposite of what you want!
It seems to be working for me, the reason I do that is to get a ton of gain reduction for a tiny amount of signal that goes over the threshold

The reason I feel the need to do this is because I really don't trust ableton's native equipment to a fairly good job in obtaining the sound I am searching for

And I was just thinking that some one/ company would design a better compressor that handles ducking somewhat better

------------------
Bergnermd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 02:12 AM   #23
Bergnermd
Soundscaper
Bergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 4960

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Why do you not use one compressor and crank up the ratio?

Seems that you successively compress your peaks and by the third time you probably are looking at a hard clipper effect, which will distort the compressed signal. Listen to your side gain out and see if that's going on.

Just adjust threshold and ratio until you get enough reduction.

I do not get any distortion because each compressor is only working to compress a small amount of gain for a larger total gain.

When I crank up the ratio on just one I don't get the amount of gain reduction I am looking for (comparing recorded audio to samples from packs I have bought that have ducking effect)

I don't trust ableton's native audio tools because each one I work with seems to have some sort of undesired effect

------------------
Bergnermd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 03:20 AM   #24
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 961 Posts

FabFilter Pro MB does a fine job.
Also Ozone's compressor.
Are you sending the side gain signal with enough gain?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #25
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Are you sending the side gain signal with enough gain?
^This!

I think this might be your issue, Bergnermd. Also, use short and transient types of ghost "kick" in order to really play with the compressor sustain.

If you use your kick (and not a ghost kick) you can highpass + saturate the kick before going to key/side input of your compressor.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #26
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts
Side Chain Compression. Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergnermd View Post

I don't trust ableton's native audio tools because each one I work with seems to have some sort of undesired effect

Honestly, one compressor is enough and if you don't manage to get the right sound with the Ableton compressor I think you're doing something wrong as the stock compressors work just fine.

Try some of the other suggestions people made such as ghost kick for sidechain as that allows you to modify all kinds of parameters such as note length without it affecting your actual kick drum.

Last edited by professurreal; 01-11-2015 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: typo

Advertisements

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to professurreal
jbvdb493 (31-10-2015)