"Can't polish a turd" myth - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 20-08-2015, 05:00 AM   #61
Dhji
Knob Twiddler
Dhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MC
Victoria, BC
MC Status: 66696
Re: "Can't polish a turd" myth

Semantics aside, the conclusion I've come to is that you can use any piece(1) and make it into a good sound(2). That doesn't mean there isn't a "bad sound", there may be a good/bad "frequency" in a sound but the question is, how many pieces do you really need? How long until you start molding them into something? Do you see a difference of quality between the pieces? Do you know what a good sound/piece sounds like?

Dimensions language translation:
1. Piece: A particular frequency cut out of a sound

2. Sound: A result of using different pieces

Thank you.

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I don't know either man. I kinda feel like things are heading towards talking about our feels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
So, this is the time to confess my unrequited love for Dhji?
Dhji is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #62
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
Semantics aside, the conclusion I've come to is that you can use any piece(1) and make it into a good sound(2).
Regardless of semantics, no you can't.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
Rixtr (29-08-2015)
Old 20-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #63
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
hotdog not hotdog
MC Status: 45967398
Thanked 1,231 Times in 945 Posts

you can't make music out of fart samples

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Br/ainfu+ked
Andantonius (20-08-2015)
Old 20-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #64
P.Rift
Minor Glitch
P.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br/ainfu+ked View Post
you can't make music out of fart samples
challenge accepted
P.Rift is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #65
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
Semantics aside, the conclusion I've come to is that you can use any piece(1) and make it into a good sound(2). That doesn't mean there isn't a "bad sound", there may be a good/bad "frequency" in a sound but the question is, how many pieces do you really need? How long until you start molding them into something? Do you see a difference of quality between the pieces? Do you know what a good sound/piece sounds like?

Dimensions language translation:
1. Piece: A particular frequency cut out of a sound

2. Sound: A result of using different pieces

Thank you.
Its more about what you want and need for a song then anything else, then you try and get a source sound as close to what you want and then you do the best you can off it.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #66
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110850
Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,421 Posts

Turd sculpture.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #67
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Turd sculpture.
[/thread]
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #68
QrQ
Analog Lurker
QrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
So, this is the time to confess my unrequited love for Unregistered?
ha good code.

Stanley Kubrick famously said that you can polish a turd if you freeze it.
QrQ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:27 AM   #69
ALR7
Granular Poster
ALR7 is currently spamming hard
Panamá
MC Status: 10

Yep, I agree with the people before me. You could maybe polish a turd but the end result will never be as good as it could be if that turd were re recorded or re arranged or whatever.However, Its very important to determine your definition of turd because, like someone else said, one man's turd is another man supper and you could end up throwing away an entire idea for being too picky.
ALR7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #70
jaytee
Regular Freak
jaytee is currently spamming hard
Toronto
MC Status: 34

I think the "don't polish a turd" thing has a lot more to do with recording audio than it does with deep sound design, and applies even less when talking about genres with intentionally strange sounds like IDM. The idea is that if your goal is a nice clean guitar recording, you can't magically conjure that from a shitty lo-fi recording by EQing it to death.

When you're designing sound at the most basic level, everything is just waveforms anyway, so even a turd can be processed to the point it's no longer recognizable as a turd.
jaytee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #71
SampleScienc
Knob Twiddler
SampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond repute
Canada
MC Status: 3060

Polishing turds is easily feasible with the right tools. Melodyne is very useful for that (to know the key of lofi chords), as well as good EQs, compressors and knowledge of sound design techniques.

------------------
SampleScienc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:14 AM   #72
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1260

I disagree with this myth. I polish every turd I produce and collect them in jars on my mantelpiece.

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MothSound
TNORTS (12-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #73
TNORTS
Minor Glitch
TNORTS has a spectacular aura aboutTNORTS has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I polish turds all the time... Like others have said before sometimes it can have some interseting sounds. All depends on what your going for...
TNORTS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:19 AM   #74
QrQ
Analog Lurker
QrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really nice
MC Status: 410

I run my modular through a turd it actually has a very interesting resistance pattern and adds nice 'texture

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

------------------
QrQ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to QrQ
vashima (17-12-2015)
Old 15-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #75
alex_virr
Minor Glitch
alex_virr will become famous soon enoughalex_virr will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

Advertisements

alex_virr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote