What's the best production tip(s) you've learned/discovered so far? - Page 21
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:59 AM   #401
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4910
Re: What's the best production tip(s) you've learned/discovered so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
Experiment, lately I've been using feedback and odd distortion along with other effects within my music, I'll resample the feedback and turn it into synths or noisy buildups, don't just pass off all the weird shit that comes out of your effects.
To add to this. if you do this, or play with high resonance, and use headphones, be ready at any moment to grab them from your head and throw them off your ears as fast as possible, and with priority. Some accidents get past the master limiter, past the DAW, and some noises mess up your hearing if played at the limiter ceiling.

Advertisements

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:03 AM   #402
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O)))
MC Status: -2147482197
Thanked 1,168 Times in 772 Posts

That's how you get tinnitus. I tried some 'dub' routing in Live 8 and I'll never do it again
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #403
SamWeath
Minor Glitch
SamWeath is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

The greatest and most simple trick I've learned is that I always automatize the volume before the drops, down with -3dB gradually. Then the drop hits even harder. That's it.
SamWeath is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #404
Daff Vibes
IDMf's latest spammer
Daff Vibes is currently spamming hard

I'm new, and haven't learnt too much, search my name on Youtube. Daff Vibes.

However, I'm learning how to improve with each track, adding more and more effects, and more instruments.
Daff Vibes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #405
Plague
Analog Lurker
Plague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud of
Munich
MC Status: 1010

This isn't for everyone:

- as soon I started mixing with mixbus compression, my songs feel closer, bigger. Still tranparent
- don't use compression when you can't hear the effect!!!
- very light Settings. Ratio <= 1.2.
- test Listen the whole mixed track vs mixed without mixbus compression
Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #406
Morphia
IDMf's latest spammer
Morphia has a spectacular aura aboutMorphia has a spectacular aura about
Stafford
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
This isn't for everyone:

- as soon I started mixing with mixbus compression, my songs feel closer, bigger. Still tranparent
- don't use compression when you can't hear the effect!!!
- very light Settings. Ratio <= 1.2.
- test Listen the whole mixed track vs mixed without mixbus compression
I completely agree with you about mixbuss compression. I use it a lot and when used subtly can really add an extra something. Everything in the mix just seems to sit a lot better together.
Morphia is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #407
joaoricardo
Soundwave Mangler
joaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3280

I'm having problems to mix my tracks. I am using a Sony Extra Bass headphone to produce and to master but it doesn't sound near as good as when I listen to it on 'normal' headphones.

What should I do? Change headphones before closing the track or try to find a proper set up sort of general configuration so the mixing / mastering sounds good in both headphones?

I normaly master my tunes using Izotope Ozone plugin in Ableton Live.
Help
:comando:

------------------
joaoricardo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joaoricardo
Iyashi Sound (14-01-2018)
Old 14-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #408
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 10710

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaoricardo View Post
I'm having problems to mix my tracks. I am using a Sony Extra Bass headphone to produce and to master but it doesn't sound near as good as when I listen to it on 'normal' headphones.

What should I do? Change headphones before closing the track or try to find a proper set up sort of general configuration so the mixing / mastering sounds good in both headphones?
Using speakers or headphones that colour the sound to "sound good" isn't ideal for mixing (but can be fine for enjoying music). The problem is, that if your headphones enhance the bass frequencies, your mix will have too little bass, - since you turn it down in order to compensate. Look for speakers (studio monitors) and headphones that have linear frequency response instead.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 14-01-2018 at 05:44 PM..
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
Br/ainfu+ked (15-01-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #409
batmanforever
IDMf's latest spammer
batmanforever will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Side chaining
batmanforever is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to batmanforever
Dokan (04-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #410
Dokan
Analog Lurker
Dokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant future
Hamburg
MC Status: 1860

This gives a easy to automate, super powerful and lively bass.

Making a Bass Instrument Rack in ableton Live with, for example, 3 or even 4 instances of Diva or any other synth.

Take care of mixing those 4 synths in a way together that they sound well (and of course chose suitable presets or design the patches yourself)

1. Sub no eq
2. Low Eq that cuts the sub
3. Mid Eq that cuts the lows
4. High Eq only leaves the highs

Of EACH of the 4 synths, link for example Filter Freq, Resonance, Filter Envelope, FM (=works very nice) and ... whatever you like to the SAME macros of the instrument rack.

You can do another FX section after the synths with Reverb and Delay and map those as dry/wet together also to the macros.

Last edited by Dokan; 06-02-2018 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: changed my wrong englisch not "automate" but "link" (make ready for automate)
Dokan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dokan
Iyashi Sound (09-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #411
Dokan
Analog Lurker
Dokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant future
Hamburg

maybe not for everyone... i`m only slowly getting there, and i think it is something i should have learned much earlier:

try to never only work on a loop on one day, do a basic arrangement at the same day on wich you wrote the maybe 8 or 16 bar loop... all the energy can get lost if you try to remember all the cool arrangement ideas on the next day or week or month...

so, if you do a loop, at least make a rough arrangement as well
Old 12-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #412
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O)))
MC Status: -2147482197
Thanked 1,168 Times in 772 Posts

Easy live guitar loopin' recipe:

1. Record a simple 8-bar loop in session view (MT Power Drumkit is excellent for dummy drum loopz)
2. Record L or R side (whichever you didn't do the first time) for the double track
3. Drag all to arrangement (loop as many times as you see fit)
4. Start cutting random segments with your grid on 1/4 - 1/8 (never cut L+R at the same time, though)
5. Punch in / out much more interesting parts to fill the gaps
6. Consolidate everything (even well past the loop points)
7. Set loops back on
8. Throw it back into session view
9. (Bonus) Do the same with your leads / buffer licks with two backup rhythm tracks

I don't do this often, but I kind of wish I had RTFM'd when I was even worse at playing
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Dokan (12-02-2018)
Old 20-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #413
Dokan
Analog Lurker
Hamburg

Working with reference tracks, but i mean not for mixing, but for learning about structure, rhythms etc. is something that, i feel, is bringing my productions to a whole new level at the moment...

i don`t speak about stealing stuff... but about learning how things function, what exactly is the structure of a song... why is a specific rhythm so cool...

Just load any track you like in your daw and with another for example midi clip above you analyse the blocks or more on detail the rhythm of only one or two bars...

[ I did knew about this technic but now that i actually doing this, i learn so many things like not in years...

To be honest, i always said to myself in the past: "no, this is kind of stealing, this is not how to be "original"... you have to do be original... don`t even look at how other people arrange stuff etc."

but this mindset was so obstructive... i feel that (almost) all good musicians are letting themselves get inspired... i mean, see sampling... everyone in music is using all the time elements from other musicians...

and i don`t even mean to copy the structure of a track... just that it helps to learn about it.]

Old 24-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #414
Plague
Analog Lurker
Plague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud of
Munich
MC Status: 1010

Use the whole stereo width. Don't go for symmetry - unless it's volume symmetry. Pan sounds on different places. Keep only the bass in mid.

And sometimes you have to break rules!
Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Plague
Bare Bare (11-05-2018)
Old 26-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #415
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9010

A friend of mine teaches music, and he gets people to use reference tracks for arrangement. Tells me it works far better than the book he's supposed to use to teach. Gets them to make a couple of tracks using different songs as arrangement cues, then the students have to take their own new tracks. It's a pretty good idea.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #416
FTD
IDMf Artist
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3464855

The most recent one I've learned is mixing to pink noise.

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FTD
Dokan (26-02-2018)
Old 25-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #417
Garruden
IDMf Supporter
Garruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of light
San Jose, California
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
The most recent one I've learned is mixing to pink noise.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
^this.

Also one fun trick I learned in Logic is you can get a pseudo tape saturation effect with the Tape Delay. Turn off tempo sync, and bring the delay time all the way down. Then add feedback, clip threshold, dry/wet to taste.

------------------
Garruden is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #418
Brookside_Chase
Minor Glitch
Brookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

I don't think I responded yet with this, but one of the best pieces of advice I have heard is to do the mix in the mono. Or at the very least reference the mix in mono and get it to sound decent in mono. A decent mix in mono should sound great in stereo and should translate well to various listening systems.
Brookside_Chase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Brookside_Chase
Bare Bare (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:56 PM   #419
Bare Bare
IDMf's latest spammer
Bare Bare is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
A friend of mine teaches music, and he gets people to use reference tracks for arrangement. Tells me it works far better than the book he's supposed to use to teach. Gets them to make a couple of tracks using different songs as arrangement cues, then the students have to take their own new tracks. It's a pretty good idea.
Yeah that works really well, easy to forget simple stuff like that! I`ve done it a few times with success, one time i tried copying the style of a favorite. I contacted the original track writer when i was done and showed it too him respectfully and thanked him for the "lesson". Actually two times ive done that. Both was very nice to me, i did not get any pointers or such but i got to talk to them for a while and one of em played my track in a set the weekend after. So dare to talk to the people behind the music you admire, be humble, dont kiss ass be realistic and turn the work to your own. I kind of digressed into a story then a different tip, sorry about that

Advertisements

Bare Bare is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote