How to send tracks to a label?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 26-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to all
Athens
MC Status: 610
Icon4 How to send tracks to a label?

"24 bit .... 44.100 khz
-6 dbs
dont compressor please
put all infos
track name... artist name and bpms"

I talked to a rec company, and thats what they told me. Can someone tell me what they mean? I don't get everything they told me to do. Also any tips would be appreciated thanks.

Advertisements

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/excep...ion-3-by-knkuc
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
Benwaa
Re: How to send tracks to a label?

Simple.
They want a wav or aiff file in 44100Hz sample rate and 24bit.
-6dB of headroom, so this means your track won't go over -6 on the level meter that displays in dB
No compressor means don't have any processing on your master bus when rendering the file for them.

This is essentially the basic standard for a premaster (unmastered file) and what most labels ask for so they can get the mattering done at their place of choice and to their specific sonic requirements.

The last bit is simple. Name the file correctly. Artist name, track name and bpm of the track
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #3
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to all
Athens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
Simple.
They want a wav or aiff file in 44100Hz sample rate and 24bit.
-6dB of headroom, so this means your track won't go over -6 on the level meter that displays in dB
No compressor means don't have any processing on your master bus when rendering the file for them.

This is essentially the basic standard for a premaster (unmastered file) and what most labels ask for so they can get the mattering done at their place of choice and to their specific sonic requirements.

The last bit is simple. Name the file correctly. Artist name, track name and bpm of the track
Got it brother thanks a lot

------------------
Old 26-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
davenizak
Learning The Ropes
davenizak is currently spamming hard
Cherkasy
MC Status: 10

Hey there!
I'm really stuck submitting my music to a different labels.
How to reach an attention of a good one that maches the kind of stuff I make?
davenizak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
robotrobot
Minor Glitch
robotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond repute
South Jersey
MC Status: 2595

me too

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
robotrobot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
pavleas
Microknight
Athens

Should i send them a wav file of the track or should i export each sound in my track separately and send them all the sounds?

------------------
Old 26-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #7
Benwaa

Ask them?
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
pavleas
Microknight
Athens

lol i could do that

------------------
Old 26-11-2015, 11:21 PM   #9
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Labels (even small ones) usually have their criteria laid out. If it takes you a few minutes to read about and comply with their quality standards, it's usually worth it.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #10
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960

most labels have websites now with a upload your track section and if it gets listened to or it gets buzz around it they will ask for more tracks or your soundcloud link.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #11
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

ask the record label to explain the parts you don't understand.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #12
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York
MC Status: 860

I have never stumbled across a label who has written that they want an unmastered track. Is the unmastered track with the extra headroom labels generally appreciate? Would they rather have a decent mastered version (above average but not professional) or an unmastered version?

I would benefit from it if it was true because mastering is one of my weaker sides, and I would gladly let a professional do the last stages of mastering until I myself learn to do it better.
samk44 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 03:57 AM   #13
NervOperator
Learning The Ropes
NervOperator is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by samk44 View Post
I have never stumbled across a label who has written that they want an unmastered track. Is the unmastered track with the extra headroom labels generally appreciate? Would they rather have a decent mastered version (above average but not professional) or an unmastered version?

I would benefit from it if it was true because mastering is one of my weaker sides, and I would gladly let a professional do the last stages of mastering until I myself learn to do it better.
even unmasterd track should sound decent and in the best shape for the mastering engineer to work with
most of the mastering engineer job is to bring the track to the standarts of the industry and make the whole album,compliation or ep flow and sound proffesional as a whole
and obviously its much better if another trained ear will hear the track and sharpen the weak points if needed
NervOperator is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 05:40 AM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

ask

follow directions

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #15
emin_janaslani
Learning The Ropes
emin_janaslani will become famous soon enoughemin_janaslani will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

They just want you to export an unmastered version of your song peaking at -6 db. Your daw should have options 24 bit / 44.100 khz in the project settings or when you try to export. Put all info is pretty self explanatory, so...just put all info.

Advertisements

emin_janaslani is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to emin_janaslani
pavleas (15-12-2015)