FL Studio overload???
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to all
Athens
MC Status: 610
Icon4 FL Studio overload???

So i bought a new laptop, i7 cpu 8gb of ram, yet still when i load old projects on fl studio 12 they overload. I hate that, what should i do? my laptop is a killer machine yet fl still overloads now and then on tracks i created with another computer.
Any tips guys?

Advertisements

pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts
Re: FL Studio overload???

sell it and get a desktop

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960

freeze tracks bounce to audio, set up edison on busses and record stuff to them, then delete plugins etc
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to all
Athens

that's a good tech joem but kinda risky for a noob producer like me. And since i have some in progress projects i want to continue, this overload thing fucks me up!! And my laptop is good i mean i bought this for producing mostly and it's kinda disappointing..
And it's weird because if i make a track with the same vst's and stuff, it won't get overloaded, but if i load an old project made from another pc and FL, then it does.. Weird stuff im telling ya
Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

i7 should be fine, what high CPU plug ins are you running, how many instances?

Also check your background processes. And you aren't really risking anything by bouncing to audio. Save as...new version of the same project...then bounce to audio.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
pavleas
Microknight
Athens

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
i7 should be fine, what high CPU plug ins are you running, how many instances?

Also check your background processes. And you aren't really risking anything by bouncing to audio. Save as...new version of the same project...then bounce to audio.
Only one FL window open at a time, and only FL 12 installed.
Backround processes are not enough to cause overloading.. i will check some tutorials on that audio bouncing.. thanks for your help
Old 04-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #7
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Every new DAW computer needs to be optimized and tweaked for DAW usage. Look up everything you can find on how to fine-tune and optimize your operating system to accommodate being a DAW better.

There are several steps. You can find some on this site and others on other pro audio sites and on some blogs too. Some of it is BIOS stuff, some is filesystem stuff, some of it is control panels, some of it is disabling services, some of it is disabling scheduled tasks, some of it is registry editing, some of it is your FL Studio preferences settings. Even your monitor resolution can have an effect on this stuff.

------------------

Thanks to Nystagmus
pavleas (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 05:40 AM   #8
Mystahby
Learning The Ropes
Mystahby will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

A good friend of mine who works in IT at my job told me never to buy an i7 processor if it's going to be used for intense computing. There's something up with the architecture that causes the data to get backed up when it's processing causing skips in performance. I don't know how true this holds today because that was a year ago, but I use an AMD a10 series and i never have any problems. My old core i3 on my laptop only starts to struggle if more than about 20 tracks are played at once after mixing and automations. Before that, it can play about 40 before it gets overloaded. (I use FL studio on both machines) I'd suggest an i5, my gamer friends say i5's are better than i7's. But all that is just heresay.
Mystahby is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mystahby
Nystagmus (10-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #9
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Look into Asio4All, it made a huge performance difference for me.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 961 Posts

Seems like one can either buy a bigger computer or commit tracks to audio to reduce load.

Using a Mac Book Pro, it seems that maxing out the CPU is a good indicator that I've got too much stuff going on and should think about reducing complexity.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
pavleas (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
UpSides
Granular Poster
UpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

I'm not sure specifically what you mean by overload, but it might not have much of anything to do with FL Studio. Plugins can do that. A lot of reverb, a complex sound with delay, running multiple instances of a very hungry plugin, a patch that has everything turned on all contribute to a massive drain on cpu power. Several unison voices alone on most synths cause massive cpu hits. Take a good look at what your project looks like, try selectively eliminating plugins or previewing/changing settings first.
UpSides is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Check which particular i7 CPU you have. Some of the more recent i7 chips have been dual core. Although I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #13
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

If you are using Toxic Biohazard and Harmor, you can lower the polyphony for each of those to a minimun since that does affect CPU load. Also very long release times affect polyphony (and therefore CPU) as well. Similarly, if you find a polyphony section of your other synths try lowering those too.

------------------

Old 09-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
pavleas
Microknight
Athens

thanks everyone for your replies, problem still exists but i guess i will figure it out since my pc is good i guess i can work it out!! i will also see some tutorials on that bouncing to audio thing.
Thanks again! Cheers

Advertisements