Aphex Twin
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Intelligent Dance Music / Electronica IDM, braindance, ambient techno, electronica or whatever else you call Warp/Skam/Schematic/Planet-Mu/Rephlex/Raster-Noton type music goes here.

Old 29-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
stu
Administrator
stu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 5803663
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

Richard David James was born to Welsh parents Lorna and Derek James in 1971 in Limerick, Ireland. James spent his childhood in Cornwall, United Kingdom. As a teenager, he became a DJ and musician on the local rave scene, taking on the moniker "AFX" (Acid Effects) and later "Aphex Twin" (in reference to his dead brother). James formed the Rephlex Records label in 1991 with his friend Grant Wilson-Claridge and released his first records on this label, as well as Mighty Force and R&S Records of Belgium. After success with his early work, James relocated to London and released a slew of albums and EPs on the Warp Records label, under a bewildering set of aliases (from Polygon Window and Caustic Window to the lesser known Gak and Power Pill).

In 1995 (primarily with Hangable Auto Bulb), he began releasing more material composed on computers, and embraced a more drum and bass sound mixed with a nostalgic childhood theme and strange computer generated acid lines. The early adoption of Native Instruments' softsynthesizers predated the later popularity of using computers to make music. The late 1990s saw his music become more popular and mainstream, as he released two singles, "Come to Daddy", and "Windowlicker", which were shown on MTV and the covers of music magazines including NME.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
In 2001 Aphex Twin released his most personal album yet, drukqs, a 2-CD album which featured prepared piano songs under the influence of Erik Satie and John Cage. Also included were abrasive, fast, and meticulously programmed computer-made songs. The level of detail and artistry was so high, that reviewers and fans complained that the music was less in the style of innovative pop music, and more about detailed beautiful and personal musical art. drukqs is perhaps Richard's most controversial album to date; the album lacked the novelty found in his other albums, so reviewers guessed this album was released as a contract breaker with Warp Records - a credible guess, as James' next big release came out on his own Rephlex label. It is also rumored that the album drukqs was released as it was because he had almost all of these songs on a Creative Jukebox mp3 player that he forgot and left on a plane, and in fear of all of the tracks being leaked to the internet, its release was rushed as to avoid this.

In late 2004, rumours of James' return to a more acid techno based sound were realised with the Analord series. For these records, James used his extensive collection of Roland drum machines which he bought when they were still at bargain prices. Also he used one of the rarest, and most desirable synthesizers of his generation, the Synton Fenix, and the notoriously difficult to program Roland MC-4 sequencer (a sequencer with a reputation for excellent timing), as well as the infamous Roland TB-303 for his trademark acid melodies.

Richard D. James usually does the photography for his releases' artwork himself. A lot of his album artwork photos show James' own face, grinning or slightly distorted in another way. Near the end of the second track on the "Windowlicker" single (commonly referred to as "[Formula]", "[Symbol]", or "[Equation]") a photo of James' face is revealed when run through spectral analysis. The picture illustrates his famous toothy, evil grin (with a spiral also visible at the end of track 1). In addition to this, the cover of "Two Remixes by AFX" is actually contained only on the CD, encoded in a format used for sending images by amateur radio enthusiasts.

Aphex Twin press interviews are generally entertaining, eccentric, and confusing. He admitted to the Guardian newspaper that he lies in interviews.

Some seemingly outlandish claims from interviews have been verified, however. Richard does own a tank (actually a 1950s armoured scout car, the Daimler Ferret Mark 3) and a submarine bought from Russia, and he lives in southeast London in a converted bank, which was formerly the Bank of Cyprus and then HSBC.

Richard's close friends support his claims that he built his own synthesizers and samplers from scratch in his early years—he is experienced in electronics and electricity, and has modified and circuit bent his equipment from a young age. Further, the UK music magazine Future Music ran an article (with photo) about a sampler he built for his microelectronics degree.

Richard claims to have produced sound on a Sinclair ZX81 (a soundwise disabled machine) at the age of 11: "When I was 11, I won 50 pounds in a competition for writing this program that made sound on a ZX81.You couldn't make sound on a ZX81, but I played around with machine code and found some codes that retuned the TV signal so that it made this really weird noise when you turned the volume up."

Additional claims, some of which are unverifiable, include the following: He composed ambient techno at age 13; he has "over 100 hours" of unreleased music (including songs on his answering machine that could be wiped away by leaving a message); he made his own software to compose with, including algorithmic processes which automatically generate beats and melodies; and he is able to incorporate lucid dreaming into the process of making music.

Albums

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (1992)
Selected Ambient Works Volume II (1994)
...I Care Because You Do (1995)
Richard D. James Album (1996)
Drukqs (2001)

Singles

Digeridoo (1992)
Xylem Tube EP (1992)
On/On Remixes (1993)
Ventolin/Ventolin Remixes EP (1995)
Donkey Rhubarb (1995)
Girl/Boy EP (1996)
Come to Daddy EP (1997)
Windowlicker (1999)
Analord 10 in the Analord Series (2005)

Detailed Discography Here

Advertisements

------------------
Gleam - What I spend 110% of my time on these days.
stu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
gbenedicto
Learning The Ropes
gbenedicto is currently spamming hard
New York
MC Status: 10
I think the "over 100 hours" of unreleased music is actually pretty likely. Which is not to say that much of this trove would be amazing/breathtaking or even finished. Autechre has boasted in a similar way in the past. It's just natural that musicians would be futzing around with their music all the time, abandoning one piece to work on another.

Still, I'd love to hear it.
gbenedicto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
eat_now
Learning The Ropes
eat_now is currently spamming hard
there is a youtube floating of him around from 96 where he states he has tonnes of tracks sitting around. 10 years later im sure its a pretty heafy load of aphex
eat_now is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Mika Technika
Regular Freak
Mika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MC
Serbia, Novi Sad
MC Status: 34061
Re: Aphex Twin

good old aphex
Mika Technika is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
warm phone ear
Learning The Ropes
warm phone ear is currently spamming hard
minneapolis
MC Status: 33

hmm he writes music while dreaming? what a strange idea... i suppose i'll have to check it out sometime, although when i get lucid i usually prefer flying over anything i'd do in reality.

what a guy.
warm phone ear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
efnx
Learning The Ropes
efnx is currently spamming hard

i've got the interview where they talk about richard's tank on youtube. i didn't know he owned a submarine though... ...where do you put something like that?!
efnx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
indrani
Learning The Ropes
indrani is currently spamming hard
Calgary

Ahh.. The legend, the artist, the genius, the insanity, the grand-daddy of IDM shall we say. What we would we do without Aphex Twin! In short, he's the best!
indrani is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #8
Minimalpisces
Learning The Ropes
Minimalpisces is currently spamming hard

I luv that guy
Crazy dude!!
Minimalpisces is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
vplanter
Learning The Ropes
vplanter is currently spamming hard

will check out
vplanter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
vplanter
Learning The Ropes
vplanter is currently spamming hard

mm downloads don't work for me
vplanter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 03:09 AM   #11
SCD
Learning The Ropes
SCD is currently spamming hard

very cool thanks
SCD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 11:25 PM   #12
miknevel
Learning The Ropes
miknevel is currently spamming hard
tallinn,estonia

prolly the sickest man on earth in a good way ofcourse...

and his videos... thats something amazing .
miknevel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
the_real_bean
Audio Butcher
the_real_bean is currently spamming hard
Guildford/London
MC Status: 20

I've recently been totally obsessed with "Vordhosbn" off Drukqs, and the video on youtube (dunno if it's official) called "Aparatus" for it is sick too.

40 seconds in, that little medlodious bit with the portamento back down to the root note -how does he do that? ahhh the bastard. I've been utterly rinsing it recently and i could happily rinse it for months to come.

We are not worthy richard!
the_real_bean is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #14
Ivan Martinez™
Learning The Ropes
Ivan Martinez™ is currently spamming hard

Amazing artist.
Ivan Martinez™ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:21 AM   #15
alteredtensions
alteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MC
Los Angeles
MC Status: 156639

i've been listening to "selected ambient works vol. II" a lot recently.

rhubarb = love

------------------
alteredtensions is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #16
limbo
Learning The Ropes
limbo will become famous soon enoughlimbo will become famous soon enough
Regina, SK
MC Status: 103

I remember getting into him the first time.

I think it was either the Windowlicker video or Come To Daddy video.
limbo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #17
edwardthewave
Learning The Ropes
edwardthewave is currently spamming hard

I personally like his Selected Ambient Works 1 and 2. Despite being one of his earliest releases, I think they are one of his most mature sounding albums. Deep Stuff.

Xtal, Rhubarb, Aegispolis, Green Calx, Blue Calx are my favs.
edwardthewave is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #18
speed-ii-freund
Learning The Ropes
speed-ii-freund is a savage MCspeed-ii-freund is a savage MCspeed-ii-freund is a savage MCspeed-ii-freund is a savage MCspeed-ii-freund is a savage MCspeed-ii-freund is a savage MCspeed-ii-freund is a savage MCspeed-ii-freund is a savage MCspeed-ii-freund is a savage MCspeed-ii-freund is a savage MCspeed-ii-freund is a savage MC
Denmark, copenhagen
MC Status: 27861

very fond of AFX my self!!

Any one ever heard the Trentemřller Windowlicker re-edit. Its a white label, so awesome!
speed-ii-freund is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #19
Dr Scientist
Learning The Ropes
Dr Scientist will become famous soon enough
Aisle 3, Canned Goods
MC Status: 77

Lets go through his rubbish and sell it on e-bay and then use the money to buy hardware.
Dr Scientist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #20
skalamerija
Learning The Ropes
skalamerija is currently spamming hard

The biggest king in the world!!!

Advertisements

skalamerija is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote