[Drone, Ambient, Experimental] Sm;le Pr;ce - Resurrection Man
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 26-02-2018, 05:32 AM   #1
Smile_Price
Soundwave Mangler
Smile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960
[Drone, Ambient, Experimental] Sm;le Pr;ce - Resurrection Man

I dug up and reworked this ambient stuff I did. Supposed to be vaguely eerie, somewhat musical background noise. Concerned that I may have made it too boring in an effort to make it ambient and too harsh in an effort to make it.. harsh. Watchu think?

Advertisements

------------------
Smile_Price is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Drone, Ambient, Experimental] Sm;le Pr;ce - Resurrection Man.
Old 26-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200160
Thanked 4,003 Times in 2,978 Posts
Re: [Drone, Ambient, Experimental] Sm;le Pr;ce - Resurrection Man

Interesting piece..I personally don't think it's boring at all..not harsh either..don't hear it that way at all.

My SUBJECTIVE advice / suggestions would be as follows..

Lower the vocals you have in the first minute of the track..they're way too load for this..instead make that throbbing undertone the main focus. The vocals are fine as they are, you just need to lower the volume of them in the mix a little, so they sit back behind that tone a little.

Second, learn to Crossfade, if you don't know how to do it already. The way you have this at the moment it's a track of fopur parts that don't sit well together. If you crossfaded between between each part, instead of running out into the tone like you do, then this would completely transform the way this track plays and how it sounds.

The term "Crossfade" seems to not get mentioned these days all that much, with many using the term "Morph" instead..which fits as a descriptor, if that's any help to you. Basically get rid of the silence between the parts..where you only have the tone playing. If you make the tone the main focus and place everything else behind it in the mix, then you don't need those gaps in there at all.

Overall, I really liked it..totally my kind of thing..just the things mentioned above took from it for me a little, but I liked what you did and the sounds you used to do it.

Nice one..please post the edited version, if you do go back and rework this. I'd love to hear it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #3
Vibe Origin
Analog Lurker
Vibe Origin is a jewel in the roughVibe Origin is a jewel in the roughVibe Origin is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Oh this is dark and creepy. Wonderful stuff for some horror movie. I like the sounds and textures you get. Well done.
Vibe Origin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
Smile_Price
Soundwave Mangler
Smile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

Thanks for the kind feedback guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post

Second, learn to Crossfade, if you don't know how to do it already. The way you have this at the moment it's a track of four parts that don't sit well together.

Nice one..please post the edited version, if you do go back and rework this. I'd love to hear it.
You're absolutely right. Thing is, I uh, I lost the stems for this at some point, so I did what I could to re-master it with the cruddy base track I had. I had less than no idea how to mix back then. As it sits, this really is four vaguely connected pieces tied together with a drone, like a micro-album. Sounds like it might be worth one more rework though I can get creative with the cross-fades.

------------------
Smile_Price is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200160
Thanked 4,003 Times in 2,978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Price View Post
Thanks for the kind feedback guys

You're absolutely right. Thing is, I uh, I lost the stems for this at some point, so I did what I could to re-master it with the cruddy base track I had. I had less than no idea how to mix back then. As it sits, this really is four vaguely connected pieces tied together with a drone, like a micro-album. Sounds like it might be worth one more rework though I can get creative with the cross-fades.

You could try chopping it into the 4 parts and importing each into its own track in your DAW..obvious really..sorry.

On that first one, try cutting all the highs from the sample, so you only have the lows coming through clearly and reduce the level a little..then fade that into the second sample and it "should" give the impression of magically transforming into something different if the fade speed is just right.

The rest is just a matter of fading between the different sample. Like I said, obvious, but thought I'd mention it in case somebody reads this who doesn't know what the hell we're talking about.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 12:37 AM   #6
pkreegi
Sample Destroyer
pkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1510

I agree with A.M, but i gotta say that "boring" is the last think you could say about this piece! Really cool! I should learn to make such textures myself...
pkreegi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #7
Matech
Granular Poster
Matech has a spectacular aura aboutMatech has a spectacular aura aboutMatech has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

interesting composition with the twist where things become somewhat brighter and then dwelve back towards the abyss.

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
never too much, if a song doesn't sound right, delete what doesn't sound right or just keep it, add more then label it as experimental...
Matech is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote