Underground Stuff - Suggestions?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 27-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Adge
Regular Freak
Adge will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Underground Stuff - Suggestions?

Hello!

I'm new here and I thought this would be the right place for this thread.

I am listening to electronic music for 7 years now. I got into this kind of music through Prodigy, then Noisia, Spor, Black Sun Empire, Sub Focus, Pendulum Camo & Krooked, and a whole lot more.
After some time I swapped to house and techno. I discovered Boys Noize, Acid Techno in general, Brodinski furthermore electro house, things like Haezer, F.O.O.L, Bloody Beetroots, the more aggressive stuff.
When I discovered Daft Punk, Deadmau5 also made his first big steps. After Deadmau5 and similar hard, minimalistic stuff i got into Deep House.
I always trusted Beatport as a place to get and discover new music, but since the EDM industry became kind of Mainstream, the tracks on Beatport now make me want to throw up. Especially the overall top 10.
Artists like Avicii, Martin Garrix....everyone who is booming right now and using the same formula of
build up - break - turbo - calm down - break - turbo - end are getting on my nerves.
It's not that I think Mainstream is all bad. I think the first album of Skrillex is great because it was something kind of "new". I also like Deadmau5 but I have to admit that his earlier productions were better than the last 2 albums.

Underground'ish like music always seemed to me to have more soul. I had the feeling that there was more behind these tracks from unknown artist.
Instead of Toolrooms VA's or Ministry of Sound Selections I prefer listening to Acid Paulis - Get Lost 5.
Anyone who does not know it and prefers more calm stuff should definitely check it out.
However I am feeling I am at a dead end right now. The last Album that really catched me was Flume's album Flume. It's one of the best things I have ever heard.

Here are a few things I really like:
  • Hole In One -- X-Paradise ( DJ G Spot Mix ) 1992
  • Connan Mockasin - Forever Dolphin Love (Erol Alkan's Extended Rework)
  • SBTRKT - Wildfire (Everything from SBTRKR's Album SBTRKT is absolutely great)
  • Wolfram - Fireworks feat. Hercules & Love Affair
  • Terranova - Paris Is For Lovers (My Love) feat. Tomas Hoffding
  • Plastic News - My Eye's Are Still Burning (Wodorfski Remix)
  • Parachute Youth - Can't Get Better Than This
  • Mr Little Jeans - The Suburbs
  • LDRU - The Tropics (I heard this the first time when I saw Flume live and absolutely "lost my shit")
  • Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
  • Traumprinz - Belive (I think this is my favorite ?House/Techno? probably Deep House song)
  • Branko - Ghetto Whitney (ex J-Wow)
  • Julio Bashmore - Au Seve
  • Dj Mehdi - Signature (Thomas Bangalter Edit)
  • Lorde - Tennis Court (Flume Remix)
  • Ghost Culture - Half Open
  • Gesaffelstein - Hate Or Glory

I would have posted links but I am not allowed to. I'm sorry.

These are just a few. There is so much more stuff. I love Boys Noize, Erol Alkan, Justice, Massive Attack,
Kruder & Dorfmeister, old stuff like Led Zeppelin, the list is infinite.
Maybe some of you guys know a few of them and can suggest me some Artists I don't know yet.
I am sorry if there are mistakes, english is not my first language.

Thank you.

Last edited by Adge; 27-11-2014 at 05:19 PM..

Advertisements

Adge is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Re: Underground Stuff - Suggestions?

It seems like you could find some stuff in pretty much any thread here .

Try these two:
http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=42339
http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=76530

Check out proton42s sets: http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=132420
benwaa: http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=135137
Or some other live sets: http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80996330
Thanked 4,122 Times in 2,676 Posts

hi adge

I don't usually listen to the stuff you listed but a few artists that pop to mind are
Dorian Concept, who just released a new LP on Ninja Tune

and FaltyDL

check out the IDM releases thread that we have, too:
http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=128020

Some of this stuff might catch your attention. People around here listen to very diverse music, but usually leaning towards the "underground" or "different" stuff.

I you really want to put some time in it, a method I have is to type an artist's name into discogs and check the labels on which he's been released, and listen to some of the other artists who were released on that label; if there's one I like, I type the name of that new artist and repeat.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283184
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
hi adge

I don't usually listen to the stuff you listed but a few artists that pop to mind are
Dorian Concept, who just released a new LP on Ninja Tune

wow shit. i really couldnt listen to that twice! i bet his head fell off when he made it! same tiny thing over and over! didnt expect that

...just a side note, sorry

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23210

a lot of those guys I'd call in between underground and mainstream because it well I'm nbot gonna get into that.

Check out these guys for similar chill sounds:
oOoOO- Sedsumting & Break Yr Heart
Balam Acab
Dream Koala\
Mister Lies- False Astronomy
Majestic casual LOL
With your list I'd go as far to say check out early boyz noise.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Adge
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
a lot of those guys I'd call in between underground and mainstream because it well I'm nbot gonna get into that.

Check out these guys for similar chill sounds:
oOoOO- Sedsumting & Break Yr Heart
Balam Acab
Dream Koala\
Mister Lies- False Astronomy
Majestic casual LOL
With your list I'd go as far to say check out early boyz noise.

Please get into "that". I'm interested.
Boys Noize is nothing new to me any more. I pretty much know everything. Even his old stuff when he performed as Kid Alex.

However thank you all for these suggestions.
Some I like, Some I don't , as it was to expect.
Old 29-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #7
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80996330
Thanked 4,122 Times in 2,676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
wow shit. i really couldnt listen to that twice! i bet his head fell off when he made it! same tiny thing over and over! didnt expect that

...just a side note, sorry
haha yeah that track is definitely different from what I remember of him.
But tbh I only really listened to "when planets explode" and then the little videos where he plays his microkorg

so, not sure I even expected anything special from him

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown
MC Status: 2147483647

Guys who made the music to FarCry 3 Blood Dragon. Extremely underrated, Kavinsky ain't got shit on them:

Enjoy

------------------
Mizuchi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mizuchi
Kvlt O))) (29-11-2014)
Old 29-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuchi View Post
Guys who made the music to FarCry 3 Blood Dragon. Extremely underrated, Kavinsky ain't got shit on them:

Enjoy
Best synthwave evr
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
Adge
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuchi View Post

Enjoy
If you like that you also should check out "Danger".

Can anyone suggest also things like this?

Traumprinz -Believe
Palms Trax - Equation
Breaker 1 2 - 2

I don't know what it is called. Melancholic Techno??
The deeper, the better.

Last edited by Adge; 29-11-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Old 29-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 124710
Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,463 Posts

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Kvlt O))) (12-12-2014)
Old 29-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
Adge
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post

I fell of my chair while listening to this.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390679

john kappas
miranda cosgrove
young ash

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown

Some more retro stuff:

LazerHawk
Com Truise
VHS Head

Diz mah jam yo!!! :3

------------------
Old 03-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #15
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23210

Yung Gud
Fka Twiggs
Swindle (Dubstep)
Joker (dubstep)
Yung Sherman

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #16
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390679

uniek tekniek -au hip hop

masta ace- us oldschool street hip hop

vector warrior- undiscovered glitch&idm

anyone on this board really- there's like 3 or 4 ppl from here who blew up hardcore, and around 10-15 who are moderately successful (they dont have to work a retail job)

almost all of the lolicore artists are completely unknown except for maybe 500 people spread across the world (L.A.A) and there's like what, 3-4 giants?

these days every mainstream artist is underground so i dont even know wtf to tell u about that one. have you visited beatport's charts lately? only artists i've heard of are like 2 out of 100 or 200. its too overwhelming for me to even acknowledge so i try to stay away from beatport alltogether.

birds of passage- ambient poem stuff

quantazelle- electronic/minimal/idm

i have a folder full of unknowns from download.com's music section before it was taken down. i'd say 70% of them r underground or fluke experiments by children.
::: bitstream dream
halovax
ever
dr skendy
squarepusher
innerpartsystem
byob
natalie walker
seb sinclaire
scientific american
theFabrique
uniek tekniek
respeak:resolve
sexshun8
adverse
shinra
vector warrior
dansepasses
aether216
then there's a bunch of hip hop beats and orchestral stuff like castle crashers sndtrk, shadowville productions, fallen prophecy, beeda weeda

o check out newgrounds- 99% of those are bedroom producers

there's a really good artist(s) who go by bliss- the first is beautiful soundscapes of ambient and long chords and lofi- the second group bliss is like world spiritual music with super fucking high quality sound- marimba's, cymbal crashes, chimes, bongos, flutes etc

i dont have alot more atm but if u want more pm me i got like a music catalogue of around 4 externals filled

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #17
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoxygen View Post

anyone on this board really- there's like 3 or 4 ppl from here who blew up hardcore, and around 10-15 who are moderately successful (they dont have to work a retail job)

almost all of the lolicore artists are completely unknown except for maybe 500 people spread across the world (L.A.A) and there's like what, 3-4 giants?

these days every mainstream artist is underground so i dont even know wtf to tell u about that one. have you visited beatport's charts lately? only artists i've heard of are like 2 out of 100 or 200. its too overwhelming for me to even acknowledge so i try to stay away from beatport alltogether.

i have a folder full of unknowns from download.com's music section before it was taken down. i'd say 70% of them r underground or fluke experiments by children.
halovax
ever
dr skendy
squarepusher
innerpartsystem
byob
natalie walker
seb sinclaire
scientific american
theFabrique
uniek tekniek
sexshun8
adverse
shinra
vector warrior
dansepasses
aether216
then there's a bunch of hip hop beats and orchestral stuff like castle crashers sndtrk, shadowville productions, fallen prophecy, beeda weeda

there's a really good artist(s) who go by bliss- the first is beautiful soundscapes of ambient and long chords and lofi- the second group bliss is like world spiritual music with super fucking high quality sound- marimba's, cymbal crashes, chimes, bongos, flutes etc

i dont have alot more atm but if u want more pm me i got like a music catalogue of around 4 externals filled
U still on SLSK bra?
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #18
Adge
Regular Freak

Quote:

halovax
ever
dr skendy
squarepusher
innerpartsystem
byob
natalie walker
seb sinclaire
scientific american
theFabrique
uniek tekniek
sexshun8
adverse
shinra
vector warrior
dansepasses
aether216

Problem in my opinion is, that nowadays every idiot who has a computer can make electronic music. And people think: "Well let's make some deep house because that's what people enjoy and maybe I can hop on the train and earn some money like the others do." Then they listen to stuff which already exists and duplicate it with a few changes. Most songs are far from original. Most songs sound like the same.
If there is a type of song most people like, artists will just copy that structure and make songs similar to that one, which ends up in thousands of songs of for example Deep House that sound all the same.
There is no real creativity anymore i think. It's all just copied and combined. Of course it ist hard to create something new because there already is so much stuff. Releasing songs which I just created with some copying and combining would not satisfy me as a person if I were a music producer because it's not my own mental result. I would feel ashamed by doing that.

I don't really like hardcore stuff. Well, most of it. There are a few things I like but they are all heading in the Goa, Psychedelic-Trance direction. Something like this:

Astrix - Monster
BK And Nick Sentience - Noise

Last edited by Adge; 13-12-2014 at 03:51 PM..
Thanks to Adge
Lug (13-12-2014)
Old 13-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #19
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Beertown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adge View Post
Problem in my opinion is, that nowadays every idiot who has a computer can make electronic music. And people think: "Well let's make some deep house because that's what people enjoy and maybe I can hop on the train and earn some money like the others do." Then they listen to stuff which already exists and duplicate it with a few changes. Most songs are far from original. Most songs sound like the same.
If there is a type of song most people like, artists will just copy that structure and make songs similar to that one, which ends up in thousands of songs of for example Deep House that sound all the same.
There is no real creativity anymore i think. It's all just copied and combined. Of course it ist hard to create something new because there already is so much stuff. Releasing songs which I just created with some copying and combining would not satisfy me as a person if I were a music producer because it's not my own mental result. I would feel ashamed by doing that.

I don't really like hardcore stuff. Well, most of it. There are a few things I like but they are all heading in the Goa, Psychedelic-Trance direction. Something like this:

Astrix - Monster
BK And Nick Sentience - Noise
Making something original and new isn't actually hard... it's even quite easy. What's hard is creating something original that people will like, that's what's hard. As for Deep House, its completely irelevant whether or not it's original... its club music, most people are there to dance, not listen to music. Deep House is just perfect for that.

------------------
Old 13-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #20
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283184
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
who and who? i know there were a few but 10 -15?

also what do you mean by hardcore :S like in 1992? lol im really intruiged!!

Advertisements

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote