Bedroom producers and the future of music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 15-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
agreth
Master of the LFO
agreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MC
Sydney
MC Status: 1465792
Bedroom producers and the future of music

Haven't posted on here in a while but lurking as usual and thought you guys might be able to help me with a uni assignment. Keen to hear from any independent artists / bedroom producers that can shed some light on these topics. Three questions, all sort of interlinked.

To what extent are bedroom producers responsible for pushing electronic music into new territory?

Are bedroom producers likely to be more experimental in nature given that their creativity isn't inhibited by labels/managers/popular opinion etc?

How important are online communities such as IDM Forums in nurturing creativity and encouraging individuality?

* By 'bedroom producers' I'm referring to anyone who releases home-produced electronic music independent of a record label (or any middleman). Especially interested in those of you who don't actively seek financial gain from your music (i.e. self-releasing free albums while still working a regular 9-5).

Thanks

Advertisements

agreth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts
Re: Bedroom producers and the future of music

I will try and answer these tomorrow (just heading to sleep), I like how you worded these questions and actually am keen on giving my opinions on this.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23210

To what extent are bedroom producers responsible for pushing electronic music into new territory?
50% I say because while we may inspire s lot of popular musicians and even become popular westill have a strong limit due to the fact our influence is so limited most of the time. Plus so many people have so many different sounds, but as producers and musicans period I think people should explore their real creativity nad not try to be skrillex 1.0. We already have skrillex and no one will get "big" copying him.
Are bedroom producers likely to be more experimental in nature given that their creativity isn't inhibited by labels/managers/popular opinion etc?
yes. This site is an example of that, but there are a huge amount of bed room producers that only make mainstream which is sad, but it happens. There are also people who are a bit to weird and will only appeal to a few people, and it doesn't mean they suck it just means they have their own lane. Plus music listeners are not ready for the music revolution.

How important are online communities such as IDM Forums in nurturing creativity and encouraging individuality?
they are important in that we should support each other, and be honest. I remember when I was just starting to use more than loops I didn't know what mixing and all that was I just knew how to make music and sound, but not much of the technical part. We should be honest or comment more on peoples songs and works so they know what to improve, and we as the idm posters should support the page so it can grow and have a grow like future producers. I think this page should be on par with that because, it is helpful and the creativity is far more vast than someone trying to make music because of money. That is what killed mainstream and what will kill music is greed for money. Most people don't realize how little musicians make and how much the industry makes, and what is it even for? It's obviously not for making music better or music gear, school, or anything like that because it's not like the field is blooming. We have so many people who just want to make dubstep, electrohouse, hiphop, trance, and they are just copying tiesto, skrillex, or deadmau5 and have never even heard of Skream or can't even fathom the music side. We have a duty as musicians to make what we want because we can start a revolution to bring back good music.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

To start, I believe that the independent bedroom electronic musician is definitely more interested in listening to a wider range of musics than the typical consumer base listener who buys something because it is a popular genre and widely available. Because of this, they will often be more inclined to search out similarly unique and independent electronic musicians, and often times they will want to share their new findings with friends, family, and fellow musicians. The bedroom musician will also tend to find hobbies which involve sharing and streaming music, and working with other musicians either in a live setting or via the internet. Such broadcasts can be insightful and even exciting to the new listener, especially if they involve live manipulation of synthesis.

A big yes and a small no, and not just because they are bound to certain constraints but as an extension of what I mentioned earlier: They are more likely to focus on elements which they DO enjoy about certain music especially unique independent music that they are searching for, as opposed to what they simply "won't buy" because it "isn't accessible". The bedroom musician is constantly looking to assimilate the techniques they appreciate and gain satisfaction from, in order to build their own personal style, and this venture in itself is that of an experimental nature.

However, on the "small no" end of this question, I will argue that "Popular Opinion" is something that ends up building itself around a community. As lenient as some communities can be, every group of individuals can have their group opinions, and that will definitely affect how new learners form their own. A good example of this is in the case of the Loudness War.

Online communities, can really be no different than schools in many ways. You have your dedicated peer-base of people with similar interests and ever clashing opinions, you have people who are completely new to the world of music and want to learn where to start, but as well you have folks who have been doing the music thing their entire lives, and have real world experience to offer. In terms of encouraging individuality, that really must be up to the individual, some people simply don't want to be individually creative, and unfortunately they tend to get the blunt end of the "nurturing" stick in communities where individual expression is key.

I think it is also important to mention that while there are online communities that really do want it's members to flourish as independent and creatively unique musicians, there are also a myriad of forums where people go to simply learn how to "produce" a typical brand of "track" and often times are shunned for expressing any kind of creativity or emotional context outside of the boundaries of their chosen genre.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreth View Post
As much as anyone with enough time and creativity to push anything beyond the boundaries of what people consider the norm for that current genre-staple sound.A bedroom guy does not have much in the way of time constraints compared to the "Old Model' where bands or artist spent thousands and went to a facility to work on records, bringing with it the constraints and financial restrictions, not to mention label deadlines to spur them forward into getting it done. Bedroom guys can twiddle away for weeks at a time with no such restriction.

Quote:
I would say yes, absolutely. In my experience doing the home studio for many years, I've been able to grow as a musician beyond what I was before I owned any recording/mixing equipment. I've gotten much more adept at writing an entire song by myself, whereas before my gear was there, I had to have other people to play the various parts, and they had the creative input to ruin some good music.

Quote:

I'd say they play a huge part, to the extent of being able to learn new techniques, be privy to others' ideas about your own music even though they have no stake in how important it is to you. IMO it can only be a positive thing to have many objective sets of ears to bounce ideas off of.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote:
Zero.

I don't think we are responsible for anything other than maintaining the absolute highest standard of artistic integrity that is possible at all times. We are unique in the fact that we have the ability to do that and it is for this reason that we have a leg up, so to speak, on the guys getting paid to do it.

I feel that if true artistic integrity is sought, the end result of the honest search for personal truth via the music that one makes, will be music that is "pushed into new territory" by default. There's no need for anyone to try and push limits. I think, in fact, that if you are trying to do this it won't work. On the flip side, as I said before, there is a need for honesty in production which is, sadly, overlooked by many "bedroom producers" of our time.

I hold any artist 100% responsible for pushing music into new territory, via the method I have described above, be them "pro" or not. That's why I only listen to a hand full of "pro" artists on a regular basis because there's too many out there with blood on their hands.

Quote:
I would say yes but, again, anyone trying to be experimental should stop it and just make what comes naturally to them. It's the only way, or it should be the only way rather.

Quote:
They are incredibly important on both fronts. But from what I've seen I can't think of one that does it as effectively as this site. Most others are wastelands of people trying to achieve a certain style and I see no innovation, honesty, or artistic integrity there.

Last edited by RFJ; 16-04-2013 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: formatting, spelling, bolding, rephrasing, clarifying etc...
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #7
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 75274
Thanked 1,254 Times in 775 Posts

Quote:

I fear being ridiculed for my answer on here, but, I believe they are very responsible for it. From my experience, everything starts underground, then it's later raped and massacred. Alot of my influences were found as bedroom producers, and alot of them still ARE bedroom producers.

Quote:

Yes. Without a doubt. There is nobody putting the pressure on them, there is only time to make whatever their heart desires. As long as we are talking about somebody who actually cares about what they are doing, not a producer who is just trying to mimic.

Quote:
How important are online communities such as IDM Forums in nurturing creativity and encouraging individuality?[/B]
Uh... NO. Stay away especially as a bedroom producer, look for technical info and get the hell out of here. Especially this forum, way too many hateful pretentious people who just love to argue. Sorry, but it's true! (I still love all of you )

[/QUOTE]

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163741
Thanked 1,419 Times in 1,047 Posts

I know I have influenced a few top dogs around the world. But to downright new territory, nah, more like old territory. IDMf had very little influence on that, as I'm talking about mixing jazz with hip hop.

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #9
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroonage View Post
I fear being ridiculed for my answer on here
I dare say this is the one forum on the net where I feel free to say anything I feel like about a subject and not get into a pissing match about it. At the one other forum I go to, this is most def not the case.

[puts giant purple flame retardant suit with tassles on and starts juggling fur coats]
Thanks to Numerical
statisticquill (16-04-2013)
Old 16-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #10
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I dare say this is the one forum on the net where I feel free to say anything I feel like about a subject and not get into a pissing match about it. At the one other forum I go to, this is most def not the case.

[puts giant purple flame retardant suit with tassles on and starts juggling fur coats]
Then say something about knob twisters, IDM(f) and Guettas piano..

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
:banalama:

------------------
Old 16-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC

Well, things have been alright since I started visiting again, and I don't want anybody to take it personally. Sometimes people just get so wrapped up in making a point that they become vicious, and begin putting people down. I visit other forums, but they are business only, which might be a reason I believe that searching for technical information and remaining unsocial is the way to go. Obviously I don't use my own advice here, lol.

P.S.- I would gladly pay money to see ANYBODY wear a purple flame retardant suit with all the bells and whistles juggle some furs!

------------------
Old 16-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #12
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Yeah I completely agree, and that's what turns me off of most internet forums, the proving themselves (as if they really have to so they can appear more intelligent than the rest of us chimps).
Thanks to Numerical
GomesR (16-04-2013)
Old 16-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #13
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Compared to some shit that gets hailed on jewtube we are the creme de la creme, rather then chimps. Never let a popularity vote overpower your sense of quality.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #14
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Well, things have been alright since I started visiting again, and I don't want anybody to take it personally. Sometimes people just get so wrapped up in making a point that they become vicious, and begin putting people down. I visit other forums, but they are business only, which might be a reason I believe that searching for technical information and remaining unsocial is the way to go. Obviously I don't use my own advice here, lol.

P.S.- I would gladly pay money to see ANYBODY wear a purple flame retardant suit with all the bells and whistles juggle some furs!
Are we talking millions or billions? I might just be up for the task!

------------------
Old 16-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #15
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilitez View Post
Compared to some shit that gets hailed on jewtube we are the creme de la creme, rather then chimps. Never let a popularity vote overpower your sense of quality.
Popularity is overrated.

Wait a minute.

------------------
Old 16-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #16
GomesR
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Are we talking millions or billions? I might just be up for the task!
Billions of Millionaires juggling millions of billy goat furs.... Why did I type that.... I'm gonna post it to show how comfy I really feel here....

------------------
Thanks to GomesR
Numerical (30-10-2014)
Old 16-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #17
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Billions of Millionaires juggling millions of billy goat furs.... Why did I type that.... I'm gonna post it to show how comfy I really feel here....
I think you've just solved the western world financial crisis.

------------------
Old 16-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #18
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Depends on how you look at it... The guys from BoC were working unrewarding day jobs to buy gear for their studios and work their way up to where they are now, so I'd say bedroom producers are definitely responsible for pushing electronic music into new territory. And in their case, the "artistic integrity" RFJ was talking about comes into play, as they have frequently said that they didn't send their music out to labels until they were ready.

People make the music they like. Some bedroom producers freak out if they can't fit a tune into a standard structure, some will be like "hey, why don't I put 30 seconds of noise in here". I don't think it necessarily belies creativity, the issue is that "popular music" will always be popular, and as a result more people are going to create it, listen to it, and enjoy it, than experimental music or what not.

I love this community, it has honestly been such a huge influence on me production-wise. Seeing people that have complete confidence in making quirky, off-kilter music is huge, because it gives me the confidence to make quirky, off-kilter music, and not feel like I have to produce some super-popular cliche genre in order to have people understand what I'm trying to do.
A good example of the role of forums is excision, the guy has posted on Dubstepforum and said that he essentially learned everything he knows from DOA. And look how far he's gone... So I'd say yes, these forums are an integral part of the future of music (sorry for the dubstep example... first one that came to mind : ).
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #19
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I think you've just solved the western world financial crisis.
No one can do that since its been planned a 100 years ago.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #20
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53741005
Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,627 Posts

Hopefully I will remember to answer the questions you proposed tomorrow at some point.

(too drunk and tired right now)

Advertisements

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote