Music forums for music [listening] anyone know of any good ones? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 18-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #21
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts
Re: Music forums for music [listening] anyone know of any good ones?

Maybe plug.dj? It's not a forum, it's like a bunch of chatrooms where everyone takes turns playing songs from youtube or soundcloud. While it's not directly geared towards getting critique, I think it could be a good way to expand your audience. (if you can find a room playing music similar to what you make, there are a lot of loldubstep rooms)

Advertisements

Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #22
Richard Travers
Soundscaper
Richard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1510

I've never heard of it, sounds good I'll give it a shot! Thanks Mindsweeper!!

------------------
Richard Travers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #23
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

There is also always second life! *rings collar*

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #24
Richard Travers
Soundscaper
Richard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant future

Wow Plug.dj is fun, got my avatar, got in the Techno room, got in the playlist. . .yes!!! XD

27th in the list :/ haha

Gonna check out Second life too

Thanks guys!

------------------
Old 18-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #25
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Travers View Post
Gonna check out Second life too

------------------
Thanks to PROton42
Mindsweeper (18-11-2014)
Old 18-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #26
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

Quote:
I like that kind of feedback I dont actually like the technical critiques I get on production forums, I know my mistakes/tendancies inside out, it doesn't take much in the way of brains to spot them. Really though I just want to reach a wider audience and I feel like I'm running in to a brick wall with the usual routes: Facebook, well I can reacch 450 people if I tag them all individually, which I dont often bother doing, Soundcloud I find is good but it's group sharing system is a joke and keeps getting me blocked, the label which released my LP does naff all in the way of promotion, and the responces from music forums are very low/to nill. I also post all my work on the Pirate bay which helps a little.

So I'm looking for other routes.
I'd quite like to frame this and put it on our front page.

You've basically run up against the main reason a lot of people form collectives and put out and promote their own stuff these days.

I suspect that this is typical for the majority of electronic musicians out there at the moment.

For what it's worth, I saw your threads in the LB and I listened to your tunes but I didn't reply because your music isn't to my tastes and you seemed like you know enough technically (sure, we can all improve) to be getting on with it with no bother.

Let me just say this though, you need to be prepared for the hate.
Silence is golden compared to the hate people will sling at you for seemingly no/any reason.
You may increase your feedback but it's not necessarily all going to be good.

Maybe you could ask your label for some contacts?
See if they have a mailing list you could have and start sending a more direct newsletter to fans of your label?
You could also pay a little bit to increase the number of people you can reach on fb but honestly I'm not sure it's worth it. My friend can post to 5000 people but still only gets about 80 or so likes.
It's a tough market.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #27
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31560

People must hate the first track I posted then.
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #28
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565580
Thanked 7,493 Times in 5,291 Posts

Quote:
I like that kind of feedback I dont actually like the technical critiques I get on production forums, I know my mistakes/tendancies inside out, it doesn't take much in the way of brains to spot them. Really though I just want to reach a wider audience and I feel like I'm running in to a brick wall with the usual routes: Facebook, well I can reacch 450 people if I tag them all individually, which I dont often bother doing, Soundcloud I find is good but it's group sharing system is a joke and keeps getting me blocked, the label which released my LP does naff all in the way of promotion, and the responces from music forums are very low/to nill. I also post all my work on the Pirate bay which helps a little.

So I'm looking for other routes.
This should have been the OP of the thread...this is a different matter entirely!

Just a general thought--I don't think you can really just "dump" your music somewhere and expect results. You need to make yourself a personality, a person. I'm not talking about creating and image and marketing here.

To you, your music is this precious thing that you put time and effort into. But to everyone else is just more data on the google box. You have to do *something* to connect that data to someone/something relateable.

Last edited by relic; 20-11-2014 at 06:53 AM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #29
Richard Travers
Soundscaper

Thats cool, no I am the OP.

You're totaly right relic, ideally I'd like to be out there trying to get gig's but no one is gonna want to book an ugly overweight 39 year old haha!

------------------
Old 20-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #30
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565580
Thanked 7,493 Times in 5,291 Posts

Quote:
Thats cool, no I am the OP.

You're totaly right relic, ideally I'd like to be out there trying to get gig's but no one is gonna want to book an ugly overweight 39 year old haha!
Oh I just meant that the post I quoted should have been your first post. Because it states what you want more clearly.

Also, I live in the uncoolest place ever: Ohio. And I know lots of chubby old guys who are going to spinning along side Lenzman, Netsky and Aphrodite--these are three different events that they, the old chubby guys, put together to build the DnB scene in Cleveland back up. They've got their own label going with some great releases.

Not that you have to do all that. Or even play gigs. Try to make headway writing articles for some webzines. Do reviews of shows, albums, gear. Do tutorials. Post mixes. Do jam videos. Attach it all to a single name. Unfortunately the democratization of music has put more work on the shoulders of the artist, though its allowed more of us access to tools and distribution. The pond is bigger and filled with a ton more little fish.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Richard Travers (20-11-2014)
Old 21-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #31
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23210

dude this is one of the more active forums I've been on. On top of that its not just the same house or trap song unlike some other things on the web.
You just have to give feedback and be active, and not just with forums, but with blogs, netlabels, and anything if you hope people to help you out.

You don't want to be the guy who only comes around when he needs something. That doesn't get people to like or listen or re post anything.

Not trying to seem like a jock rider, but this forum is one of the better forums for feedback and community out of the bigger forums.
Its also one of the better forums for this genre that are still active as most are not, and I've tried the other big forums and I can't stand some of the mas hinted in my comment. I dont want to drop names.

Last edited by NewWorldOrder; 21-11-2014 at 10:51 PM..

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 02:19 AM   #32
Marcus Quarter
Minor Glitch
Marcus Quarter will become famous soon enough
Vienna
MC Status: 60

this one is pretty good actually
Marcus Quarter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #33
rinseit
Microknight
rinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond repute
Denver, CO
MC Status: 2410

2nd Life is still a thing? O.O wow hahaha
rinseit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #34
e-SeeR
Soundwave Mangler
e-SeeR has much to be proud ofe-SeeR has much to be proud ofe-SeeR has much to be proud ofe-SeeR has much to be proud ofe-SeeR has much to be proud ofe-SeeR has much to be proud ofe-SeeR has much to be proud ofe-SeeR has much to be proud ofe-SeeR has much to be proud ofe-SeeR has much to be proud of
pittsburgh
MC Status: 1310

I think so have you seen estiban winsmore? He is a griefer on there. He made some youtube vids.

------------------
e-SeeR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #35
PROton42
IDMf Artist

Uhhh I dunno where you got your information but second life died a long time ago? So not it is not "still a thing" it exploded, remember?

------------------
Old 02-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #36
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

The best question is, do you need feedback or want it?
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
NewWorldOrder (03-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 AM   #37
rinseit
Microknight
rinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond repute
Denver, CO
MC Status: 2410

Quote:
Getting tiered of the lack of reogntion that seems to go hand in hand with music production forums. . .Would like to find some forums that are more orientated towards music listening, to help get my tunes some listens and decent feedback
If you want cold impersonal technical analysis and opinions from real folks
try CloudKillers. It has some drawbacks because so many of the people who
use it are just trying to earn credits to get their own music heard as well.. but
there are some genuine people who take the time to leave meaningful feedback.
Just like regular forums, you have to put into the community to get anything back.

In contrast to CK, I think regular forums (like IDMF) have a more family oriented
nature and therefore more rewarding, real relationships are formed, whereas
with CK all your comments are just lost in the sea of soundcloud and no real way
for those users to congregate around other subjects (where the real connections
are made).

Advertisements

rinseit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote