The ultimate IDMf Community project? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

View Poll Results: Add "hype" section for members personal projects etc
yes 30 81.08%
no 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 22-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #141
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts
Re: The ultimate IDMf Community project?

Why not just have it based around the existing badges, anyone with a badge gets access. Don't have a badge? Donate $10 and become a supporter. I don't see a need for a new badge.

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Thanks to RFJ
lolirl (23-06-2014)
Old 22-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #142
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Why not just have it based around the existing badges, anyone with a badge gets access. Don't have a badge? Donate $10 and become a supporter. I don't see a need for a new badge.
I don't like the idea of people having to pay money to be part of something. I also think it's a bit unfair that the veteran who's made 70 posts but been here 27 years has more privileges than a member who's active every day with 800 posts.

edit: Sorry are we talking about priveleges for the IDMf community projects or the hype section? Haven't been paying attention. Off to catch up on all the posts my bad.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #143
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

I'm not really sure what section we are talking about anymore either. I assumed we were talking about the hype section at one point due to someone calling it advertising.

Edit: I wouldn't think a fee would be involved in posting an IDMf only community project. Wanna' "spam" your "hype" though...

That'll be 10 dollars please.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Thanks to RFJ
scyn (22-06-2014)
Old 22-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #144
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I'm not really sure what section we are talking about anymore either. I assumed we were talking about the hype section at one point due to someone calling it advertising.

Edit: I wouldn't think a fee would be involved in posting an IDMf only community project. Wanna' "spam" your "hype" though...

That'll be 10 dollars please.
Yeah. If it's the hype section then I'm cool with badges and the discussed restrictions on starting threads. I would like to add that I'm also in favor of granting some of the bigger projects their own sections rather than it all being in one place. I'd be happy to be the one to read through proposals for a project having it's own section (within the hype area). With AE for example - I'd rather it have it's own space for a few months or however long. Unless this is the idea anyway.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #145
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Besides the aforementioned Altered Echo Project and Benwaas radio show is there even any hype besides people posting the occasional party on a boat type crap? obviously the changes will eliminate that last one so I guess my question, as related to the "hype" section is what will we be left with?

Probably should of asked that earlier, sorry.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #146
Benwaa

well I'd hope the "hype" section encourages people to post more personal projects they want exposure and possible involvement in such as this post here for example: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

and yeah, community projects i wouldn't expect anyone who isn't a part of the community actively to be able to start a thread in there.
hype section wise, if someone wants to come on and isn't a regular, doesn't contribute to the forum with good stuff then yeah, if they want access to spam their shit then they have to pay to get the bade they can't get any other way if they're not prepared to put the hard work in to becoming a more regular member of the forum.

So it's sort of both we're talking about i guess, but at this moment predominantly the hype section. If you have a badge then post away in there, if not then approach a mod and see if you have been here long enough to qualify for a badge, if not pay up?
i think it's been established that community projects should be for IDMf only based stuff, and with that i think it's pretty easy to moderate so *shouldn't* need as much a restriction as the hype section, at least that's what i would hope
  Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
scyn (22-06-2014)
Old 22-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #147
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
well I'd hope the "hype" section encourages people to post more personal projects they want exposure and possible involvement in such as this post here for example: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Your thoughts about certain projects getting their own dedicated sub-section in the hype area?
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #148
Benwaa

my personal thoughts are that it's down to the OP to use the section and their thread(s) correctly, there is no need to over confuse things with further sub sections. and tbh i can't see the benefit of one either really. but again that's my personal thoughts only.
it kind of ties in with my feelings on the releases sections in the genre sub forums tbh, i'd rather see just one big releases section for all non members releases, and then the members one for well... the members releases. Whilst i know we're talking about adding sections, i also feel some streamlining of the forum would help massively, but i digress and that's for another time when this is all sorted out
For stuff like this i hope everyone mentally removes my admin tag and takes it just as another members input only,
  Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
lolirl (23-06-2014)
Old 22-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #149
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Just throwing my loaded two cents in on the sub section...

I'd be more than willing to work out a fee or some other sort of tit for tat exchange (ie helping with the hype section in one way or another, reviewing threads etc) were that to become something that happens.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #150
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
my personal thoughts are that it's down to the OP to use the section and their thread(s) correctly, there is no need to over confuse things with further sub sections. and tbh i can't see the benefit of one either really. but again that's my personal thoughts only.
If we take your radio show and AE as examples - they each generate a substantial amount of posts on their own. I just feel each section could be more liberal with their posts and the threads they start without being mingled in with a load of other stuff.

The other reason it would be cool (for select projects) would be that we could generate unique urls for those sections. So you could have idmforums.com/benwaa for example (if you wanted it) and use that in your promotions which would, in turn, bring more people back here and hopefully they browse the rest of the forum too & become cool mofo members.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #151
Benwaa

yeah i get what your saying and i see it could work that way.

again, my own personal only opinion is post in the hype section? then if it's done right it'll get interest, if not then it'll sink. Ultimately it's down to the promoter of their thread to make it attractive in the right ways to get people on board and keep their thread active. Even wth my own stuff, i'd rather have to compete for attention in a space as opposed to sticking it in a section with one or maybe two other things and the section just being inactive.
there's a good few sections on here that in essence are completely redundant as it is.

that said, i can also see your point and how that could work too
  Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #152
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

To be honest I think IDMF community projects will be more successful if a mod kind of starts it and then is just there participating. It doesn't have to be any more work than posting in like another thread. Just having a presence in effect.

A good example of this is lolirl starting the Christmas compilation project and the album writing month projects. As a forumer I am more likely to participate in these as I know they are overseen in a way.they are overseen by someone representing the forum.

I think taking a few projects like, album writing month, a remix project, and a collab project and have them occur quarterly, so people like me can plan time in knowing that is coming up, will strengthen the IDMF's presence in this section.

Perhaps it might even evolve to actual releases if people can plan in advance to create something of quality.

It doesn't have to be a lot of work other than starting a thread and participating on the thread.

Any way, this is what would appeal to me, and I am sure others. The more it is a regular thing I think it could bring in new blood and other quality musicians if it is a regular thing.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Muse-ic
A.M (23-06-2014)
Old 22-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #153
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
To be honest I think IDMF community projects will be more successful if a mod kind of starts it and then is just there participating. It doesn't have to be any more work than posting in like another thread. Just having a presence in effect.

A good example of this is lolirl starting the Christmas compilation project and the album writing month projects. As a forumer I am more likely to participate in these as I know they are overseen in a way.they are overseen by someone representing the forum.

I think taking a few projects like, album writing month, a remix project, and a collab project and have them occur quarterly, so people like me can plan time in knowing that is coming up, will strengthen the IDMF's presence in this section.

Perhaps it might even evolve to actual releases if people can plan in advance to create something of quality.

It doesn't have to be a lot of work other than starting a thread and participating on the thread.

Any way, this is what would appeal to me, and I am sure others. The more it is a regular thing I think it could bring in new blood and other quality musicians if it is a regular thing.
I get what you're saying and it makes sense.

If say Automageddon (purely an example) started a project in the community section, would you feel the same security of oversight of it as much, if a mod was doing it?
  Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #154
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

Quote:
I get what you're saying and it makes sense.

If say Automageddon (purely an example) started a project in the community section, would you feel the same security of oversight of it as much, if a mod was doing it?
Well sure, I mean he is an established member and since i have been here for a while I know who he is.
Old 22-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #155
Lug
Savage Mad Cunt
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80997030
Thanked 4,136 Times in 2,684 Posts

I think I disagree with your idea Muse-ic since it seems to me that the exact idea of making the IDMf community section more alive is to give the idmf community a place to grow and develop. I think the ultimate goal is that this mass of people that we are start interacting and get more involved, using the tools this discussion will give us. It seems to me pretty incoherent with the idea of every project being patronaged by a mod.
Lug is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Lug
Old 22-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #156
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Well yeah I wouldn't want it to be like that.

I was suggesting just a few ongoing projects that are regular and a mod is part of them, not a mod being over every thread.

Maybe a few regular projects will inspire others to start some? If the section has regular activity?

Just an idea.

Last edited by Muse-ic; 22-06-2014 at 07:22 PM..
Thanks to Muse-ic
Old 22-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #157
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
Well sure, I mean he is an established member and since i have been here for a while I know who he is.
Cool so realistically you'd feel comfortable as long as it's overseen by either an established member, or a mod.

Not just directed at you:
Again it brings up the question for the community projects section, who should be able to post in there? anyone with a tag? People only over X amount of posts (and what would that post limit be)?

Ultimately what would the community feel would suit us all best?
  Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #158
Lug
Savage Mad Cunt
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80997030
Thanked 4,136 Times in 2,684 Posts

sure, fair enough. I still think the mods are "super-regulars" and part of the community anyway. I doubt a project could go on without any of these regulars to take a part in the discussion or show interest to it (unless the project sucks ass but that's another problem).
Lug is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #159
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

The Community Projects section...
Quote:
Ultimately what would the community feel would suit us all best?
Personally I'm more inclined to participate in something where there's even just a basic level of organization and a deadline. Obviously the game making thing is different and there will be projects like that which are more open-ended and not necessarily music based.

But for the music projects I'd like it if the person starting the challenge would at least agree to compile all the entries together at bandcamp, youtube or create an SC account to host the project once it's done. It sucks coming back to one of those threads a few months later only to find 80% of ppl have removed their contribution from their SC / youtube. I think when people feel like there's some organization going on they're more likely to particiapte as opposed to someone starting a thread along the lines of "ok guize lets make a drum only track with leaf sounds. you can submit whenever this will stay open for 7 years".
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 22-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #160
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
The Community Projects section...
Personally I'm more inclined to participate in something where there's even just a basic level of organization and a deadline. Obviously the game making thing is different and there will be projects like that which are more open-ended and not necessarily music based.

But for the music projects I'd like it if the person starting the challenge would at least agree to compile all the entries together at bandcamp, youtube or create an SC account to host the project once it's done. It sucks coming back to one of those threads a few months later only to find 80% of ppl have removed their contribution from their SC / youtube. I think when people feel like there's some organization going on they're more likely to particiapte as opposed to someone starting a thread along the lines of "ok guize lets make a drum only track with leaf sounds. you can submit whenever this will stay open for 7 years".
This!

Advertisements

Closed Thread