The ultimate IDMf Community project? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

View Poll Results: Add "hype" section for members personal projects etc
yes 30 81.08%
no 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #61
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts
Re: The ultimate IDMf Community project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post

If it's just a wording issue then just drop the "IDMf" off the sub-forum title and leave it to run as it is at the moment.
lol, just checked and it's not even called "IDMf" Community Projects, so what the hell do I know?

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks
Thanks to lolirl
Muse-ic (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #62
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

^I think @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
just wants black and white rules on what goes were so mods lives are easier. If it is clearly defined, stuff gets moved/deleted. Those are the rules. End of story.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to relic
Br/ainfu+ked (12-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #63
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I like the idea of a Members Projects area, or hype area as it were. I also like this idea of an area within the community center for community related outside projects that involve IDMf members.

What would constitute getting your contract cancelled though? I'd like some clarification on that if you don't mind. I mean I understand "drifting too far from involving IDMf members" but you'd have to make some black / white guidelines for that too so if a particular project wishes to not have their contra t cancelled they can make damn sure they stay well within said black / white guidelines.

i appreciate why you have your concerns RFJ, at this point though could we try to steer clear of our personal involvements and try deal with the matter at hand. AE isn't going to be chucked out of the forum n any shape or form if that's your worry, at worst it will have to post in a different area and as such refer to relic's post above yours
  Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
RFJ (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #64
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

I'd take the Community projects out of the LB for a start.
Make that it's own section, then within that have an IDMf and non-IDMf section.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #65
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
I see, so you want the community section to be more clearly defined as an IDMF product? If this is the case I think it should be modeled as A IDMF community projects section and then a members projects section then. I don't think members release is an appropriate place for AEP, which is a community project. So perhaps having another section.

I do think it will make the community section a less used place unless there are some official projects started by mods with the promise of an official release or something like that.

the word community implies to me that its stuff started out of and for the community - the one here.

and we're currently talking about including an area for "outside" stuff to be hyped and talked about , involve people with etc, rather than shifting it all to one place alone. I agree members releases is no place for such a thing, other than any resulting release
  Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
Muse-ic (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #66
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
the word community implies to me that its stuff started out of and for the community - the one here.

and we're currently talking about including an area for "outside" stuff to be hyped and talked about , involve people with etc, rather than shifting it all to one place alone. I agree members releases is no place for such a thing, other than any resulting release
Well that makes sense. As long as there is a section for something successful like AEP to go in. Although I do rather dislike the hype name too.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #67
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt

HYPE, PROMOS, SHOUT-OUTS & BIG-UPS
Old 11-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #68
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Well, that got my attention!
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #69
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

I don't really like the idea of saying that community projects are only ones that are run by IDMf for IDMf. To my view, that's far more exclusive and punitive than a high post count. And the point of a high post count isn't to exclude, it's just to reduce the amount of crappy submissions. The logic being that we should be able to trust people in this group to not post stupid shit, while encouraging newer members to get in touch with their people who have already posted something similar to their project for help getting it off the ground. I'm sure if Auto, or Relic, RFJ, lolirl et al who have been overseeing various projects would be able to help newer members in this way. I know I would.

My reasoning for saying that community projects must be run exclusively by IDMf is that this goes against the way every community project I've worked on in the REAL community. In reality, when I work on a project that is resourced by Melbourne City Council, they aren't running the show, they're making their resources available so that we can run the show.

One year for Melbourne Music Week we did Where?House which was a project where we took a derelict building in the city and turned it into a day market, workshop space and a nighttime concert space. Melbourne City Council provided us access, OH&S consulting, volunteers. All they did was provide the infrastructure and funding to facilitate the project. Beyond ensuring that we observed the law and made the space available for a couple of events, there was very little input on their part. Our project was not representative of the Melbourne City Council. It was representative of the community which the council oversees. That's my definition of a community project. It's a project which is dependent on the community at large to exist.

RFJ and relic have been more than honest in saying that a large part of their AEP project's success is down to the support and involvement of the IDMf community. How are their competitions any less relevant to the IDMf community than in-house ones? Or is it just that their contributions in community projects are better organised and presented to the audience, thus garnering more participation?

Sure, maybe it's time we close their thread introducing AEP as they're now well established. Maybe when time-based competition, submission or challenge projects conclude, their threads should be closed after a grace period for post project discussion. And then the conversation could be redirected to the relevant thread in the members release section or wherever.

Or maybe it's time that ongoing and successful projects borne out of IDMf are given a section of their own to facilitate their work. I keep thinking of the IDMf net label section on the front page and reckon it would be great to change the header to net label and add an AEP section under the IDMf net label page, or maybe we put successful projects as their own sub-forums of the community projects section.

I don't know, but I feel any "rules" we make should be aimed at encouraging more of these types of activities on the forum and should provide facilities for that.
Jaded is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #70
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421878329
Thanked 5,007 Times in 2,896 Posts

Quote:
in my eyes, that's your project, not an idmf one as it's not done with the intention of benefiting the community other than through your own good will to get more numbers for your comp by asking a place you have a following to help you out. is it a community project if you post it on facebook the same way via your page?

so yeah, what lug said
No problem (if I ever get an overwhelming response from the community, I will certainly submit it to the netlabel (that's only happened once, though)). It looks like everybody's still discussing exactly what should go down.

I like the idea of having an area to post outside projects that's not the Listening Booth, but I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out where to put it.

And it's been said a million times, but.........banners. (if possible)

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #71
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I'd take the Community projects out of the LB for a start.
Make that it's own section, then within that have an IDMf and non-IDMf section.
But is this really necessary? I mean, I agree that community projects should be its own section, but maybe not separated. Can you have a quick look at the threads in the Community Projects section and (excluding the AEP ones) tell me what the ratio is of IDMf to non-IDMf projects is? I'm asking because I don't know and I know that you are involved in the area. Are there even enough threads to warrant a split at this stage?

As for what is or isn't a community project, if it's actively run within IDMF (submissions/conversation/hype/whatever) then isn't that enough? Does it really need to have the IDMf logo on it and if it doesn't, can't you just photoshop one on for your personal feels
Jaded is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Jaded
Muse-ic (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #72
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

As for what is or isn't a community project, if it's actively run within IDMF (submissions/conversation/hype/whatever) then isn't that enough? Does it really need to have the IDMf logo on it and if it doesn't, can't you just photoshop one on for your personal feels

i think the difference for me is that the white nose thing is exclusively done for IDMf members alone, douche factor the same, one day challenge etc etc
its not that it needs a badge per se, more that for clarification the area certainly needs defining of what goes in there. i don't think it's ok really to define a project that is open to anyone and is promoted elsewhere with no intention of being solely for the improvement of IDMf members to be in the community projects area.
In your council analogy, sure they had f all to do with the actual project. within the community though the council facilitated the appropriate space for the appropriate activity. and hopefully we can define the appropriate space for things here
  Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
Jaded (12-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #73
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I'm sure if Auto, or Relic, RFJ, lolirl et al who have been overseeing various projects would be able to help newer members in this way. I know I would.
Obviously I'm far too entrenched to reply to the bulk of your post there but just wanted to say...

Yes I'd be down to help with any community projects, in any capacity, or assist in any way in the running of the community projects sub forum(s) of IDMf, regardless of where my own project winds up living.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 12-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #74
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18032619

Quote:
Yes... possibly

we'd like us all to discuss what the rules should be of the forum, how do you feel about how they are now, what sections should have what in them and who should have access to what/what privileges etc.
i like the rules as they are right now, i think we need a DIY section for DIY builds with a circuit bending sub forum and a schematics sub forum. there are a fair few people here who do DIY stuff.
and i think i should have mod privileges

Quote:

We're going to start off with this area here - community projects. What should go in here? Who should be able to post in here? what constitutes a community project? do there need to be any sub forums for here, and what for? same questions etc what should the rules be.

discuss/suggest etc below
i think projects that are open for anyone to join should go here. not collabs with only a couple of people, it should have to be open all the time for anyone to join in, even halfway through the project (where possible)
i think everyone should be able to post here.
maybe we could have a sub forum for collabs with only a couple of people? still open for anyone to post and start projects.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Parricide
Br/ainfu+ked (12-06-2014)
Old 13-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #75
Benwaa

poll added, if you think the wording needs changing or whatever, speak up soon
  Thanks
Old 13-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #76
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269481058
Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,083 Posts

I've gone through the thread, but some might might have skipped some bits, so can you add a bit more info about what the "hype" section would be?
Maybe in the poll question or in the first post

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (13-06-2014)
Old 13-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #77
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts

A no vote would mean things remain as / is?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 13-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #78
Benwaa

sure: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Benwaa; 13-06-2014 at 02:38 PM..
  Thanks
Old 13-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #79
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
A no vote would mean things remain as / is?

well that's what's under discussion here. personally, after taking in everyone's points and my own feelings too, i'd like to see the hype section, and merge it with parties events radio shows etc too
  Thanks
Old 13-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #80
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Yes, Bass ports...

you pasted the wrong link

Advertisements

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Nyul
Closed Thread