Should I get a "real" synth? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 16-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #41
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
VoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really nice
Hamburg
MC Status: 360
Re: Should I get a "real" synth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotronic View Post
Consulting the internet is one thing, but laying hands on a synth is another.
That's really good advice. The key aspect for me currently is whether I can integrate the hardware in the way I work with music at home. I set up here and there with constrained space and often work on something for maybe an hour and then need to do something else. So a dedicated studio-like setup is not working so well, as I end up not using it at all. The 30-days money back thing from Thomann allows me to better test that special aspect...

Thanks!

Advertisements

VoidPointer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #42
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotronic View Post
Why dont you go to the justmusic store or any other music store in your town and test both hardware pieces. You can perfectly sit there for some hours and test out 2 or 3 synths that you might want to buy.
Wait, there are brick and mortar music stores in the world still?

80's called, they want their business model back.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
relic (18-02-2015)
Old 17-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #43
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564880
Thanked 7,479 Times in 5,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
Wait, there are brick and mortar music stores in the world still?

80's called, they want their business model back.
I don't exactly live in a thriving metropolis and I can go to a big box music store and demo most of the non-boutique synths.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #44
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I don't exactly live in a thriving metropolis and I can go to a big box music store and demo most of the non-boutique synths.
I live in a massive city complex of 135,000 people. We have one music store that sells analogue synths at all, and all they have is Volcas, Monotrons and Mini/Microbrutes. The thriving capital of Finland apparently have some shops where these products might even be available for trying, if they so happen to be in stock. One shop, which advertizes itself as Finland's largest even has a MS-20 Mini.

By comparison, there are 7 pages of electric guitars, 3 pages of basses and at least 20 different ukuleles. :problemofficer:

------------------
Thanks to Blingley
relic (17-02-2015)
Old 17-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #45
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
VoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really nice
Hamburg

Quote:
...and at least 20 different ukuleles. :problemofficer:
Where do I apply for citizenship? :mayonesa:
Old 17-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #46
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478808
Thanked 3,104 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
I live in a massive city complex of 135,000 people. We have one music store that sells analogue synths at all, and all they have is Volcas, Monotrons and Mini/Microbrutes. The thriving capital of Finland apparently have some shops where these products might even be available for trying, if they so happen to be in stock. One shop, which advertizes itself as Finland's largest even has a MS-20 Mini.

By comparison, there are 7 pages of electric guitars, 3 pages of basses and at least 20 different ukuleles. :problemofficer:
Perkele!

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #47
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent

I should be fair to Finland, most music played here is rock/metal/pop, and the stores just cater to that. That still does not explain the ukuleles, but I doubt anything will. Perhaps the store owner just has a fixation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidPointer View Post
Where do I apply for citizenship? :mayonesa:
Try [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 17-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #48
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47860

Quote:
That still does not explain the ukuleles, but I doubt anything will. Perhaps the store owner just has a fixation.
That's a very strange instrument to develop a fixation for.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 01:39 AM   #49
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
Hamburg

An opportunity presented itself. Now I just realized I misplaced my MIDI cable...

On the other hand, the little guy can play all by himself by routing LFOs to CV/Gate.
Let's see what happens.
Thanks to VoidPointer
relic (18-02-2015)
Old 19-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #50
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
Hamburg

Coincidentally, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
has been calling for an outside bass - so I used the µZwerg to lay down a bassline for that track: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Old 19-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #51
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

NIce, it did but squelchy and acid in the later part.

It sounds a bit dry though, could do with some fx

------------------
Old 19-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #52
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
Hamburg

Quote:
It sounds a bit dry though, could do with some fx
Oh I see what you did there...
Now that I got a real analog synth, I need to go out and buy analog effects units...
Tape delay anyone?
Old 19-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #53
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

You can run it through a nice fx chain in your DAW, I use hardware and I don't have any external fx unit (although my Elektron A4 has the best reverb I've heard)

------------------
Old 19-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #54
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
Hamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
You can run it through a nice fx chain in your DAW, I use hardware and I don't have any external fx unit (although my Elektron A4 has the best reverb I've heard)
Yeah, I was just trying to justify more gear-acquisition-syndrom :-)

I tried a bit of Saturator and Reverb (native Ableton plugins) but obviously went a bit too soft there...
Any suggestions what one would try to spice up an externally recorded synth like this? I know this needs lot of experimentations but some starting points would be cool...

Cheers!
Old 19-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #55
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

In Ableton you can set up a nice parallel chain, on one fx you put a low pass filter and maybe only a bit of compressor and saturator, on the other fx you can put a high pass and have as much fun as you like...

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
VoidPointer (21-02-2015)
Old 26-02-2015, 01:50 AM   #56
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
Hamburg

Well now, here's the first actual track I've done using the Microzwerg...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It's indeed quite a change from a workflow perspective. I worked much more in SessionMode Jamming with sounds and recording different versions of various midi lines and only then switching into the arrangement and bringing things over, cutting them up a bit, adding FX, EQing them and trying to make everything sound a bit smoother.

Is that how you guys work with external non-programmable synth as well?

I forgot to note down most of my patches unfortunately. I'm really not used to not having a "save" button :-)

Cheers,
Lars

Last edited by VoidPointer; 26-02-2015 at 09:22 PM..

------------------
Old 26-02-2015, 03:59 AM   #57
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318139
Thanked 1,000 Times in 790 Posts

Yes, And here is why. This week I had the opportunity to jam with some random musician friends, Which is cool in itself. But what really took it to the next level was getting the go ahead and command the Yamaha DX27. All I know to say is, You've not truly lived until you synth IRL.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #58
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043741
Thanked 7,526 Times in 4,656 Posts

At this point there's really no should involved, just do I want to and can I afford it?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #59
Psychotronic
Digital Surfer
Psychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MC
MC Status: 18647

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidPointer View Post
Well now, here's the first actual track I've done using the Microzwerg...
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It's indeed quite a change from a workflow perspective. I worked much more in SessionMode Jamming with sounds and recording different versions of various midi lines and only then switching into the arrangement and bringing things over, cutting them up a bit, adding FX, EQing them and trying to make everything sound a bit smoother.

Is that how you guys work with external non-programmable synth as well?

I forgot to note down most of my patches unfortunately. I'm really not used to not having a "save" button :-)

Cheers,
Lars
Adrian Utley from Portishead says he make photos of the synth setup and encoder positions to reproduce them on stage.

I am considering that.

------------------
(シ)// Reject all ambition to center yourself and find intuition. >> Homepage
Psychotronic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Psychotronic
VoidPointer (26-02-2015)
Old 26-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #60
Zigg
Granular Poster
Zigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

I bought a synth years ago and to this day, it is collecting dust. Not using my hardware synth does not interfere with my music creation process one bit.

Advertisements

Zigg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote