Friend is new to production, needs advice on his studio rig
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 16-06-2014, 03:57 AM   #1
Syllix
Eternal Echoer
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1097447
Friend is new to production, needs advice on his studio rig

Hey guys,

I'm posting here to help a friend of mine out who is somewhat new to music production. He's been dabbling for a couple years but is now taking a big leap and going to school and upgrading his studio.

Here's what he plans to get:

Ableton Live Suite 9
Ableton Push
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2x Yamaha HS5 Powered Studio Monitor
NT1-A Rode (Package)
Macbook Air 8gb ram/1.7gig dual core processor, 512gig of hd space

Now, I think he has a pretty solid start. The only thing I was thinking was that he may need a more powerful processor and a bigger HD, or possibly a mac book pro instead of the Air?

What are your guys' thoughts? Help me help my friend out. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Aquatic Ruin Zone!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31960
Re: Friend is new to production, needs advice on his studio rig

Yea, if have to side with you on this. Probably should go ahead and get a full on MacBook Pro. Maybe consider getting a used one. Look on ebay for one from a reputable seller and get a more powerful machine for a similar price. I always say get as much processing power as you can afford.

However, 512 fb HD is pretty damn big! That should last for quite some time and then he could get an external backup drive.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
SunkLo
SunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MC
MC Status: 132350

For the price of a macbook air, he could get an actually capable PC laptop as opposed to a facebook/email/looking cool device.
SunkLo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

My suggestion is for him to do his own research. Demo every DAW, learn some stuff on his own. It's a big investment and when you are new it can feel overwhelming so you are grateful when people tell you what to buy. However, you kind of miss out on valuable learning when others just tell you what to do.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Syllix
Eternal Echoer
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1097447

Oh, I should have mentioned it's more focused on the choice of gear, and specifically the computer I guess. My bad. He has experience with Ableton.

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Aquatic Ruin Zone!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Solum
Microknight
Solum has much to be proud ofSolum has much to be proud ofSolum has much to be proud ofSolum has much to be proud ofSolum has much to be proud ofSolum has much to be proud ofSolum has much to be proud ofSolum has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1060

The Yamahas just have five inch woovers, they wont give back low frequencies very well. I saw that he also uses a heady but having monitors that go a bit lower then a five inch woover can do is very handy. I would go for the HS7 if he wants to stick to Yamaha.
A Mac Air is not well suited for music production, you can use it though for DJing. Having more then two cores is nowadays important especially when focusing on software based electronic music production. Some plugins use much power and more and of them are of multi core style!
Push is a tool that has much to do with taste. You can`t say it is better or worse but you need to test it out if it matches your production style. I prefer keys for synths and have Maschine or drum machines for drums where i like pads. There are other Midi tools that work in perfect harmony with Live too, not only Push.

------------------
House and Jazz together, Promo.

Solum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

^^^ Yeah, I would suggest a controller with keys as well.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #8
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 13210

More than one hard drive PLEASE DO IT PLEASE. One drive has all the system files, the other has all the music crap. You get the beach ball of eternal waiting (on a mac) if you go off one drive, separating the music programs from the system programs allows the mac to do background system stuff at the same time as recording. You don't know how many times I've wanted to cry from the goddamn useless waiting. All that being said, a windows machine won't have as bad a problem with one drive, actually much less, but you will have to give up low-latency monitoring as a trade.

I heard the scarlet has decent pre's, I'd just suggest getting more i/o, like maybe a different scarlett. There's the 6i6 all the way up to the 18i20. Yeah I know electronic music doesn't have much call for 8 inputs but if you happen to make music with actual instruments, specifically drums, it's necessary to have enough ins for the job.
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #9
edium
Sample Destroyer
edium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

....but its so THIN!

Advertisements

------------------
please subscribe if you like my music. cheers!
edium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote