CPU spikes, audio clipping, I am sad
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 21-05-2014, 03:51 AM   #1
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler
iliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
CPU spikes, audio clipping, I am sad

Hey guys, I am workin in ableton live 9. I've been getting these serious cpu spikes over 100% and the audio playback often starts glitching when I re-play back the project multiple times within a short period(e.g. when I am composing). ALso, when I turn off ALL channels, eventhough I can not hear anything, I can still see the CPU spike to over 100%. I have tried everything talked about in the following thread:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Neither of those things worked. I ruled out my interface, it is not a latency issue because the DPC thing only showed green bars, I re-installed live, updated my bios, did bunch of other stuff that supposedly are supposed to optimize my pc for audio production, I defragged my HD, trying different buffer sizes in Asio4All, etc.. neither of those things worked.

Another thing I just noticed is the Asio4all icon in the bottom right toolbar turns red with a yellow exclamation sign on it when my audio starts to clip. Is it something with Asio that I can do?

My machine: i7, 8gb ram, 7200rpm HD

Please help! this really sucks

Last edited by iliveinmyguitar; 21-05-2014 at 04:17 AM..

Advertisements

iliveinmyguitar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts
Re: CPU spikes, audio clipping, I am sad

Sorry I can't be very helpful here but I want to just add I've always had problems with ASIO's clipping and bad handling of audio, it's likely something in that respect - maybe something you can tweak? (ASIO-Heads, chime in)

I stopped using ASIO, it was recommended and came with Traktor, but always gave me problems and now I just use my laptop's Realtek or Traktor S2's built in.

I was going to suggest maybe there was too much automation going on, but with 8gb of ram that seems slightly out of the question

Can I add (ASIO?) to the thread title maybe? It might generate more specific advice.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

This happens to me with ASIO all the time. Make sure your buffer is set right, and that you don't have 2 inputs or 2 outputs selected (or something similar). If all else fails, use direct sound or whatever you have for the time being
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
strkssinthes
Soundscaper
strkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MC
MC Status: 38420

I have the same exact problems. I'll get CPU spikes in Live 9 even with one track. No IRQ conflicts or DPC latency problems on my end either. Not a fucking clue as to why this still happens. If you find a solution for this I would love to hear it.

------------------
strkssinthes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

How many of you (with problems) use your MoBo sound card instead of a dedicated audio interface? Just curious.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinmyguitar View Post
I ruled out my interface
Quote:
Another thing I just noticed is the Asio4all icon
Why are you using Asio4All? Your interface should have it's own dedicated driver. I've only used Asio4All for on-board sound or in trying to fix latency / routing issues.
Quote:
My machine: i7, 8gb ram, 7200rpm HD
Please list your interface as well when asking questions of this nature on a music forum.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
theotommy
Learning The Ropes
theotommy is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

make sure your multi-core processing is turned on and if your DAW's project is a big file you should try freezing tracks that you do not need real time processing with.
theotommy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
strkssinthes
Soundscaper
strkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MC
MC Status: 38420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
How many of you (with problems) use your MoBo sound card instead of a dedicated audio interface? Just curious.
I'm using a Tascam US-2000. I know it's not what's causing me issues because it was working fine in Live 8. My mobo's internal sound is disabled along with just about every other device

------------------
strkssinthes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

to the OP:

Mac or PC?

I was having issues like this in ableton 9. i updated to Mavericks and the latest Ableton version and it didn't help. It took me a while to diagnose, but google Chrome is a hog, as is Dropbox.

So when i run heavy duty sessions i disable airport and close Chrome and Dropbox.

Problem solved.

(this was an issue with my external interfaces as well as with Core Audio/headphone jack)

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler
iliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of light

My bad, I am using the Alesis iO2 Express. It actually uses the Asio4All driver since its a plug and play device. But I think I ruled it out because when I disconnect it and run ableton through the mobo sound the same issue occurs. Another thing I noticed is the project runs smoothly for the first few minutes but than it gets progressively worse to the point where its impossible to work. Oh and I am using PC

Last edited by iliveinmyguitar; 21-05-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Old 22-05-2014, 01:17 AM   #11
airwalker
Minor Glitch
airwalker will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 90

what is your power plan in windows? you need to set it to high performance otherwise this can cause all kind of issues
airwalker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 02:08 AM   #12
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalker View Post
what is your power plan in windows? you need to set it to high performance otherwise this can cause all kind of issues
Yup did that! though to no avail...
Old 22-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #13
airwalker
Minor Glitch

hmm then im confused bro sounds like your set up is more then power full to handle audio have you tried a different daw?
Old 22-05-2014, 03:12 AM   #14
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler

I really don't want to switch to anything. I put alot of time into learning the ins and outs of ableton. I have good work flow in it. I meddled around with FL studio a while back which was cool but I liked ableton more.

What can this be?
Old 22-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #15
airwalker
Minor Glitch

yeah i get ya ableton is a good daw i was just wondering if it made any difference using different software

------------------
Old 22-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #16
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

Try downloading Reaper and just test it with that for a bit to see if it's only Ableton that's giving you problems.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #17
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684455

Damn man. Nothing suspicious when you run the latency programs?

I can't stress enough, when I took apart my laptop and cleaned the crap out of it, I was almost immediately convinced that heat buildup was the problem all along.

did you try the Coretemp program? When I did, I noticed that the Ableton spikes hit at EXACTLY the same time as the cpu exceeded the "tjmax" temp.

Just be patient! I know, it is fucking infuriating

Last edited by Deep Dose; 27-05-2014 at 01:38 AM..
Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #18
Hooligan
Radial Developer
Hooligan is a jewel in the roughHooligan is a jewel in the roughHooligan is a jewel in the rough
Pennsylvania
MC Status: 260

Just because it's happening in Ableton didn't mean it's soundcard related. You could be having a slew of other pc related problems. Ram, cpu, mobo, psu and more can cause all kinds of crazy anomalies. Did this just start? Is it after an update? Give us any information you can about just before and right when it started happening. I like what another guy said about trying Reaper or another free trial of a daw to see if it happens in that one as well. For shits and giggles, if you're running a wireless network card, unplug/disable it. They're known to cause all kinds of issues and cpu spikes.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

------------------
:instagib:
Hooligan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #19
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler

It gets glitchy the more complex the project becomes. But the strange thing is, at that point, if I freeze all the tracks, the glitching does not go away! And it comes and goes periodically. I could be working on the project for 1 minute without problem and then all of the sudden the CPU spikes over 100% and I get audio drop outs. There is no point of me trying out a different daw because I would first need to learn how to use it to get to a project of complexity where glitching occurs. Usually, waiting for the CPU to drop down to 0 before hitting play DOES NOT solve the issue either. I just dont know anymore lol
Old 02-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #20
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

I might help to load up Task Manager and set the sorting to CPU and watch while Ableton plays your project to see if it's Ableton spiking.

Also, I noticed you said 'project' instead of 'projects' so is this issue only limited to one thing you're working on? If it's multiple projects where you are using a certain plugin, it's possible it could be that plugin causing it. Some third-party software doesn't jive with some daws.

Advertisements

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote