Ableton not recognizing VSTs - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 20-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #21
DoctaMario
Soundscaper
DoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MC
Ca$hville, TN
MC Status: 447799
Re: Ableton not recognizing VSTs

What's the excuse for Ableton not having something like JBridge except official so people don't have to hunt down an answer? If some guy from God knows where can make a 3MB piece of software and sell it for $20, but Ableton can't make this a standard feature of a $600 program KNOWING this is an issue something's wrong. It's laziness. If Cubase and Logic have solutions for this, there's no excuse for Ableton not to except laziness.

Advertisements

DoctaMario is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #22
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,549 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaMario View Post
What's the excuse for Ableton not having something like JBridge except official so people don't have to hunt down an answer? If some guy from God knows where can make a 3MB piece of software and sell it for $20, but Ableton can't make this a standard feature of a $600 program KNOWING this is an issue something's wrong. It's laziness.
Incorrect. Steinberg Bridge doesn't solve the problem. It's well documented that not all 32-bit plugins are stable in 64-bit Cubase. Steinberg officially recommends using jBridge as an alternative where Steinberg Bridge is unable to run a 32-bit plugin. Again, these problems are well documented. Even the guy who sells jBridge offers it as is with no support. Why? Because there's absolutely no guarantee that a bridged plugin will work at all.

In the case of Logic, well you're talking about a different platform altogether. Audio Units are not VSTs. More than that, there's a big difference between being a third party developer and an in-house developer. If the guys at Logic ever did run into a problem implementing 32-bit architecture in a 64-bit application, well they can just take a walk across campus and have a chat with the guys in the Core Audio team.

That's why it's no coincidence that Logic is the only DAW that has no problem running 32-bit and 64-bit architecture alongside each other. They write the DAW, the plugin specification, the operating system AND the audio drivers. No other developer has this advantage, that's why they've either opted to either discontinue support for 32-bit moving forwards (Ableton, Avid, Native Instruments) or developed a bridging application that ships as is and unsupported (Steinberg).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaMario View Post
If Cubase and Logic have solutions for this, there's no excuse for Ableton not to except laziness.
It's not laziness. Steinberg hasn't provided a solution and Logic's development is fully integrated with OS X. If Emagic still existed, you can bet that Logic would offer limited 32-bit functionality, if any. It's challenging enough developing a cross-platform application, let alone develop a cross-platform, cross-architecture program. That's why less and less people are developing or supporting 32-bit architecture.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
DoctaMario (22-01-2015)
Old 20-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #23
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40912

My problem Jaded was that I am still using Live 8. Even certain 32-bit VSTs I got weren't being recognized until I bridged them.

Perfectly fine doing the research beforehand but considering I didn't expect a problem running 32 on 32 it was an unexpected purchase. Still glad I found this thread though.

This is ultimately an issue with my 64 bit OS and 32 bit DAW. There isn't a whole wealth of info on that one either, since (I hear) major companies don't want to encourage holding onto 32.

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 02:10 AM   #24
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfsok View Post
My problem Jaded was that I am still using Live 8. Even certain 32-bit VSTs I got weren't being recognized until I bridged them.
Ultimately, when you were saying you were shitty at having to buy jBridge, the responsibility for that lies with you. You can get shitty at the guy charging you $15 for your ignorance, you can get shitty at me for pointing it out. But ultimately, it's a problem of your own making. So be constructive and learn from it instead of continuing on in ignorance.

Quote:
Perfectly fine doing the research beforehand but considering I didn't expect a problem running 32 on 32 it was an unexpected purchase. Still glad I found this thread though.
But you weren't running 32-bit on 32 bit were you? As you go on to say next, you are trying to run 32-bit in a 64-bit environment.

Quote:
This is ultimately an issue with my 64 bit OS and 32 bit DAW. There isn't a whole wealth of info on that one either, since (I hear) major companies don't want to encourage holding onto 32.
You're seriously going to try and tell me that you did your research and was unable to find out any information about how a 64-bit operating system runs 32-bit applications? Come on man. That's a ridiculous statement. Microsoft has extensively documented this and there are plenty of third party resources available as well. Windows even stores 32-bit applications separately in "Program Files(x86)" where they can be run via a 32-bit emulator. Again, this is well documented.
Old 21-01-2015, 02:20 AM   #25
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace

o.o

woah.

no words.

wasnt looking for a fight. damn.

now THIS is edgy. im gonna go over here now...

say, you havent heard of politicalcrossfire, have you? we may have already debated years back.

dont even say JLB.

------------------
Old 21-01-2015, 02:53 AM   #26
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
o.o

woah.

no words.

wasnt looking for a fight. damn.

now THIS is edgy. im gonna go over here now...

My user name is Jaded for a reason bro. There's no fight here. I just pointed out the fact that you found yourself in a situation of your own making and suggested you accept responsibility and learn from your mistakes. You're more than welcome to choose not to.

Quote:
say, you havent heard of politicalcrossfire, have you? we may have already debated years back.

dont even say JLB.
I don't know what any of this means.
Old 21-01-2015, 05:59 AM   #27
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulf Palace

No popcorn but fuck it let's go:

Quote:
Ultimately, when you were saying you were shitty at having to buy jBridge, the responsibility for that lies with you. You can get shitty at the guy charging you $15 for your ignorance, you can get shitty at me for pointing it out. But ultimately, it's a problem of your own making. So be constructive and learn from it instead of continuing on in ignorance.
Ultimately I was peeved (and so are others) at the lack of support for my preferred brands 32 bit software. A VST that I specifically downloaded as a 32-bit file should have (barring my ignorance that you so aptly pointed out) been detected in Ableton's plugin browser. Right? NO.

What's the definition of peeved? Oh, I don't know, perhaps slightly annoyed. IT'S A GODDAMN FREE COUNTRY, I CAN BE MILDLY ANNOYED AT WHATEVER I WANT TO AND VENT ABOUT IT WITHIN CONSTRUCTIVE REASON!!

Ahem

Quote:
But you weren't running 32-bit on 32 bit were you? As you go on to say next, you are trying to run 32-bit in a 64-bit environment.
I was running a 32-bit VST in a 32-bit DAW. Perhaps it was a bit too vague for you to understand. I apologize. Regardless, I have been using Ableton 8 on Windows 7 64-bit for several years, and it's only the select few VSTs that started this whole debacle that were an issue.

Now, and please do pay attention here, I could have only deduced that:

"Well, my other 32-bit VSTs have been working just dandy. Now are these new ones not showing up? Let's try the 64-bit version... D'Oh, doesn't show up either. Now what could be the problem?"

So is it
Quote:
ridiculous
to first delve into "Ableton not recognizing VSTs" on my very favorite forum, rather than dive into the horribly layman-impaired Google searches like "why is 32 bit vst not work daw"?

What, so you're telling me I should've used vague Google searches over the forum you moderate? For shame!

If you were to expect me to research bit depth and computational nomenclature during ^THESE^ troublesome times I'd have a field day disproving you. Let the facts speak for themselves.

Quote:
I don't know what any of this means.

Good.

------------------
Old 21-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #28
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199655268
Thanked 5,120 Times in 3,279 Posts

^Here, allow me...

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #29
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Man, I've worked with some pretty big egos in my time and yours is right up there.

Quote:
No popcorn but fuck it let's go:
Better users than you have taken out their frustration because something I said made them feel stupid. It's one thing to feel stupid, it's another thing to be stupid and avoid understanding what's being said.

Quote:
Ultimately I was peeved (and so are others) at the lack of support for my preferred brands 32 bit software. A VST that I specifically downloaded as a 32-bit file should have (barring my ignorance that you so aptly pointed out) been detected in Ableton's plugin browser. Right? NO.
And ultimately, if users are pissed off that a software update does not support other software which they already own, they have a choice not to update. It's not unheard of. Hell, I know people still running C-Lab on Amigas in 2015!

I'm sorry that you disregarded every release note for every 32-64 bit update that's been pushed out by vendors these past few years. I'm sorry you didn't think to research the process before updating and thus limited your ability to use your software. There's no need to wade through technical computer shit. Just refer to the manufacturer's release notes and actually read them. It's always made completely clear what will and won't work.

Honestly, I have no sympathy for anyone that fucks themselves over with an update. It's kind of the golden rules of digital audio: don't update. Now you know.

Quote:
What's the definition of peeved? Oh, I don't know, perhaps slightly annoyed. [B]IT'S A GODDAMN FREE COUNTRY, I CAN BE MILDLY ANNOYED AT WHATEVER I WANT TO AND VENT ABOUT IT WITHIN CONSTRUCTIVE REASON!!
If this is a demonstration of how you conduct yourself when you are mildly annoyed, I sure would hate to witness the carry on when you were actually angry about something. (And I don't live in your country. Another irrelevant point).

My first comment was the only thing I've said that wasn't constructive. If only you could say the same. You vented about your fifteen bucks, I made a sarcastic comment (that was the non-constructive one), you got "edgy" and said something irrelevant about piracy. Then I responded to somebody else, saying that nobody forces users to update their OS or DAW's, discussed different softwares and their 32/64 bit support, and suggested that these issues were the result of user fault, not manufacturers.

There's no fight, there's no argument. You either learn from your mistake, or you make it again in the future.

Quote:
What, so you're telling me I should've used vague Google searches over the forum you moderate? For shame!
What, so because I'm a mod cunt I'm supposed shut my mouth and take shit from you? Dude! This is IDMf.

The funny thing here is that I've gone out of my way to be helpful. Nothing that I've said suggests that you shouldn't discuss 32/64 bit issues on IDMf. Again, you're being ridiculous and you look stupid. If you untied the knot you've gotten your knickers in and go back and read my posts, you'd find a lot what I've written discusses these issues.

More to the point, it's not about you. I don't know if anyone in your life has ever told you that before. But it's not. Most of what I said, which you've taken issue to, wasn't even directed at you. I was responding to Docta Mario. Then you went all diva and flew off the handle carrying on about how your issue wasn't about 64 bit compatibility immediately before saying that it was about 64 bit compatibility... Like you're the only person who's ever made this mistake.

See what I mean when I say you're being ridiculous? Do I really have to continue repeating myself ad nauseam?

Get the ego in check. If you can't get over yourself, accept criticism and demonstrate some humility in your mistakes, you'll invariably end up making more mistakes until you're redundant.

Quote:
[/I]So is it to first delve into "Ableton not recognizing VSTs" on my very favorite forum, rather than dive into the horribly layman-impaired Google searches like "why is 32 bit vst not work daw"?
If you copied and pasted "why is 32 bit vst not work daw" you'd have found plenty of advice and recommendations in the first few pages for a wide range of softwares - demonstrating my point that there's plenty of information regarding these issues. Now, there's also some information in my comments that you could research further, if you could get over yourself.

Before you look at technology, the absolute first issue that needs to be addressed is user error (that's you, me and these "others" you spoke of). Before updating, always READ the release notes, RESEARCH manufacturers forums and make sure your PREPARED. If YOU don't do this and YOU break something it's YOUR fault.

Get it? READ RESEARCH PREPARE. It's not hard.

Quote:
If you were to expect me to research bit depth and computational nomenclature during ^THESE^ troublesome times I'd have a field day disproving you. Let the facts speak for themselves.
What does bit depth have to do with anything? Again, like most of what you're saying, this is irrelevant. Grow up.

You're being completely ridiculous. You made the same mistake I made. We made the same mistake a lot of people have made.

I already talked about Yosemite, Maschine 1 and having to pay over $100 for version 2. I should've checked NI's website before updating. Then I'd have known this in advance and would've had the option to wait until I could afford the update. Yeah, I'm pissed off about it. And yeah, I did vent about having to fork out the dough. The difference is that when people pointed out that I only had myself to blame, I didn't jump down their throats and pick a fight, I shrugged my shoulders and agreed with them. It's called humility. All you need to say is, "Yeah, well now I know for next time." That would at least have been constructive.

I'm not pissed off at NI, I'm pissed off at myself for being stupid and not checking this first. I should know better. And now, so should you. It's called learning from experience.

I have dozens of examples where I've broken my system out of sheer stupidity. I could tell you when I updated Atmosphere to VST 2.0 on my Logic 5 Windows machine. I could tell you about the problems I created when I updated my Windows 98 machine. Or I could tell you about the weeks it took me to unfuck my G4 after the Tiger-Jaguar update hell. Or when I ran out and bought a new DJ laptop and installed everything then got to the gig before I realised that the firewire port standard had changed. That was embarrassing. But again, I only have myself to blame. Just like you.

The lesson in these stories, and yours, is to do your research before charging in and updating. There's no debate, there's nothing for you to confront except your attitude. Move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Needs more popcorn :mayonesa:

Last edited by Jaded; 21-01-2015 at 03:47 PM..
Thanks to Jaded
Wulfsok (21-01-2015)
Old 21-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #30
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulf Palace

This is fucking great!! I'll be back later tonight, hold that phone!

------------------
Old 22-01-2015, 02:38 AM   #31
Jaded
Total mad cunt

There's no need to derail the thread any further than you have. I'll delete any responses you write to me.

If you really want to give me more shit, start a thread about me in the side room. Be my guest. I'm sure there are plenty of users who would have something to contribute to your "discussion".

Last edited by Jaded; 22-01-2015 at 02:43 AM..

Advertisements