Drum Programming (Hihats) - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 14-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #41
ChillGamerJay
Minor Glitch
ChillGamerJay is a jewel in the roughChillGamerJay is a jewel in the roughChillGamerJay is a jewel in the rough
Earth, for now anyway..
MC Status: 260
Re: Drum Programming (Hihats)

I love Redrum. I like to automate just about every knob in my progressive tracks depending what I want the feel to be within the track and which instrument it is. With hats I like to use the start and length knobs to compliment whatever is going on in the background as well as combining (gate) 2 hats (or any .wav instrument with my hat) to match the sound I am looking for. What kind of music do you swing toward?

As far as patterns go, I suppose it's whatever sounds right with the mix.
Also, using good samples is prime.

I need to mess with drums in Live more, its the only thing holding me back from switching over completely.

Advertisements

ChillGamerJay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #42
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 24510

I use maschine and personally I think adding velocity, reverb, resampling, and playing around is the best thing. Once you find your style you see what is most beneficial for you I think.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #43
SNoOK
Regular Freak
SNoOK will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I've found it's best to listen to your track.. i.e could be just a kick and snare and maybe a bassline.. listen in a loop and get a feel for where you'd like a couple of single hits to be, then use one hi hat sound to program in those places.. then do the same for a different hi hat sound.. and repeat.. just keep layering it up with different hihat samples rather than worry about different velocities of the same hi hat sample.. this gives a much better feel
SNoOK is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 04:12 AM   #44
vashima
IDMf Supporter
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukio Dzantala View Post
Hello guys,
I was wondering if you can recommend some Midi drum pad that I can connect with Reason 7 + midi in/out functions.

Thanks in advance
Hey Man, I have the Novation Launchkey 25 and it has 16 pad keys that work really well for drums. there are 8 parameter nobs that you can link to any automation as well. you should check her out. It is a pretty decent controller for use with any DAW.

Amazon.com: Novation Launchkey 25, 25-key USB/iOS MIDI Keyboard Controller with Synth-weighted Keys: Musical Instruments [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #45
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210

I like to use multiple groups playing different patterns and experiment with different ways to layer them. For instance, I'd usually have a standard closed and open high hat arranged around the main drum pattern - I'd start by adding open hats to accent the beat, and then fill in any empty spaces with the closed hat in a linear drumming style, then removing any hits that didn't work and adding velocity variations, FX etc.

I'd use another two sounds (hat-ish, often made from a foley recording) to make a more regular pattern - an off-beat emphasis, or some sort of of psuedo poly-rythm thing (I can't remember the real name for the technique!) where it goes 11211212 over 8 beats.

I'd also usually have some high passed white noise pattern, with the swing written into the piano roll as note length. The high pass frequency is often automated to give it a little more movement.

So yeah, that's the way I approach it - velocity variations are practically a must (as covered earlier in the thread) - starting by generating a few standard-ish lines, (something linear [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, something straight, something swung) with relatively standardised sounds and then see how they groove together. Obviously, each time you discover a new groove by knocking one of the patterns off by an 1/8 or so, you can generate a new pattern.

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 05:16 AM   #46
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler
mic3756 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Yeah, routing velocity to 'sample start' and 'amp decay' can add a lot of real feel, if you are using just one hi-hat sample. That way low velocity plays short decay and sample start offset (so that the transient is not played). High velocities play the full length of the sample and and starts at the very beginning (playing the transient). It's quite important to set sample volume to (almost) fixed, i.e velocity doesn't work as velocity.
This sounds pretty sweet from what I can understand. How would you go about setting this in Ableton. I'm guessing it would be something like putting the sample in say impulse and using the volocity function, how do you set it up to do such a thing?

EDIT: I'm guessing it's not by just adjusting the volocity amount up or down to how the transient response? Apologies I haven't been in front of my computer to try it.

Last edited by mic3756; 19-02-2015 at 11:45 AM..
mic3756 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #47
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Do yourself a favor and find some multi-sampled hihats with as many different hits as possible. Otherwise, these guys above covered the basics already.
Ive never been able to create such organic and rhythmic patterns with just one sample as to what you can do with two or more. I think these two ideas are important in rhythmic patterns, only trouble is Ive never found a sample pack to catter to this. Sure some sample packs have a few different samples off the same instrument or subject, but never enough. This leads to the next quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
one very simple thing people often over look is to listen to the pitches of the hihats you use.

Generally the snare or clap will have a little resonance somewhere in the 4k on up range. you want the resonant spot of the hihat to work well with that.. so like if you hipassed the beat at 2k there would be a little "beat" to itself between the snare/clap and the the hihat.

the same goes for using more than one hihat sample at a time. You want the main pitches of them to create a call and response sort of feel.. do do DAH do do Dah.. you know what I"m saying?
Because of the lack of sample I find often don't share this same "pitch" or timbre, I end up recording something around the house a number of different ways. Sounds awesome!! Only thing I don't have a drum kit so what I don't have are those cool hit hats (god dam, I just want some sort hitting hat samples haha) anyway try it hope that helps.
Old 19-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #48
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390248
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic3756 View Post
This sounds pretty sweet from what I can understand. How would you go about setting this in Ableton. I'm guessing it would be something like putting the sample in say impulse and using the velocity function, how do you set it up to do such a thing?

EDIT: I'm guessing it's not by just adjusting the volocity amount up or down to how the transient response? Apologies I haven't been in front of my computer to try it.
I don't know Ableton Live. I just know how to route velocity to affect sample start/offset and other parameters in my samplers of choice (to make organic/modulations/interesting things out of otherwise static sounds). You adjust the amount/range of how you want your 127 levels of velocity is going to change/offset the sample.
It's just like you add an/a LFO to any parameter. If you can do that I think you can control sample start with velocity.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
mic3756 (19-02-2015)
Old 19-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #49
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MC
MC Status: 11210

In impulse, I think you can only modulate some stuff like volume, transpose and stretch with velocity, but I think this does not include the sample start parameter. But it is very easy to do in the live sampler (and you can even use velocity layers for some more crazy "modulations" in it) and you can use samplers in your drum racks...

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 10:18 PM   #50
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaside View Post
In impulse, I think you can only modulate some stuff like volume, transpose and stretch with velocity, but I think this does not include the sample start parameter. But it is very easy to do in the live sampler (and you can even use velocity layers for some more crazy "modulations" in it) and you can use samplers in your drum racks...
Sounds great I've got sampler should have thought of it. I'll do a search
Old 21-02-2015, 12:27 AM   #51
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MC
MC Status: 11210

1) for simple modulation: select midi tab -> select velocity destination A or B (sample offset, for example) -> adjust amount of modulation
2) to use velocity layers/zones: select zone window -> select vel page -> add layers and select the velocity zones for each layer

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: lupe fiasco - blur my hands
Thanks to Metaside
mic3756 (21-02-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 03:03 AM   #52
ConfusedMuse
IDMf Artist
ConfusedMuse will become famous soon enoughConfusedMuse will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I think velocity is half the job. Most people just go randomly up and down a bit with the velocity bars and expect to get great dynamics. When doing accents on drums you take swings between less than an inch and 2 foot or more with your drum sticks. Try to play with some very quite and some very loud strokes.

Advertisements

ConfusedMuse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote