Thoughs on LANDR free mastering and mastering in general?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 17-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460
Thoughs on LANDR free mastering and mastering in general?

So Im still somewhat new.

I make my tracks in fruity loops and am EQing each instrument individually then setting mix volumes.

I leave the master bus empty atm.

Now I heard about LANDR so I started using that to master. My ears arent great to me it just kinda seems like it makes it sound louder...Im not sure if its better or much better etc.

Anyone else using it? And opinions?

Maybe its better to learn to mater yourself? but that could take a while and its not easy?

You can check my SC page top 2 songs for example of master/unmastered track from LANDR

Advertisements

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217960
Thanked 4,359 Times in 3,236 Posts
Re: Thoughs on LANDR free mastering and mastering in general?

Learn to master yourself..and yes, it does take time to become good at it, but then all things do.

If you don't have the time..can't be bothered..or are just too lazy, then pay a good Sound Engineer to master your work for you, if you want your stuff mastered.

In short, there is nothing better than a set of fresh human ears attached to a head that knows and understands how to master. Whatever about the future of this kind of technology, at the moment it's not good enough to work on the kind of thelevel that's needed to master the music of individual artists.

As you already noted, all it seems to do is make everything louder, which might be good for some styles of music..but not for all. I tried it myself and, while it didn't completely thrash the track in question, I could have gotten far better results mastering the track myself..and I'm still learning to mastering.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Alert (19-01-2015)
Old 17-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Learn to master yourself..and yes, it does take time to become good at it, but then all things do.

If you don't have the time..can't be bothered..or are just too lazy, then pay a good Sound Engineer to master your work for you, if you want your stuff mastered.

In short, there is nothing better than a set of fresh human ears attached to a head that knows and understands how to master. Whatever about the future of this kind of technology, at the moment it's not good enough to work on the kind of thelevel that's needed to master the music of individual artists.

As you already noted, all it seems to do is make everything louder, which might be good for some styles of music..but not for all. I tried it myself and, while it didn't completely thrash the track in question, I could have gotten far better results mastering the track myself..and I'm still learning to mastering.
yeh maybe ill just not use it? I dunno...Maybe ill just post my tracks raw straight from the DAW?

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Indican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant future
Brighton!!!
MC Status: 1910

Do you have any friends who are producers? getting other people to master your tracks is usually the best option, even if they're not specifically mastering engineers, mastering your own stuff is tricky because youv heard it too many times and have an emotional attachment to the music so you can't be nearly as objective about the balance as others.

------------------
Keepin it real on the interwebz!

A Fine Time To Be LP Available now at http://dustedwax.org/dwk253.html
Indican Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: deep fucking purple motherfuckers!
Old 19-01-2015, 12:32 AM   #5
RUncELL
Soundscaper
RUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond repute
Essex
MC Status: 3410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indican Sound View Post
Do you have any friends who are producers? getting other people to master your tracks is usually the best option, even if they're not specifically mastering engineers, mastering your own stuff is tricky because youv heard it too many times and have an emotional attachment to the music so you can't be nearly as objective about the balance as others.
That's true. Good idea there Indican man.
RUncELL is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 02:40 AM   #6
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Learn how to mix first and worry about mastering later.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 04:42 AM   #7
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105322889
Thanked 1,095 Times in 849 Posts

I personally feel like it takes away from a certain element from your music and what makes it yours, Even if you suck at mastering (like myself) you should still challenge yourself to do your own mastering..at least attempt it.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i prefer the sage. makes me truly believe the unbelievable.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 05:10 AM   #8
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,549 Times in 2,148 Posts

In summary: "Freedom isn't free, no there's a hefty furkin fee, and if you don't pay your buck'o'five, who will?"

Computers are dumb. Until they can think for themselves and understand abstract concepts like emotion, feeling and "the vibe of the thing" they will never be able to mix or master or perform any other application that requires these.

If you give LANDR an album, it's not capable of knowing that track 1 is a catchy, light-hearted song; or that track four is a very sombre, sad and personal song to the artist; it can't know that track 7 is the pinnacle of the album. If it can't know these things, it can't know how to master the album.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 05:15 AM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8588680
Thanked 7,955 Times in 5,591 Posts

You might as well slap the same Ozone preset on every track...

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #10
fck75
Granular Poster
fck75 has a spectacular aura aboutfck75 has a spectacular aura aboutfck75 has a spectacular aura about
Paris
MC Status: 210

I think the idea is pretty interesting in itself, like to have a crazy algorithm filled with mathematical efficiency that can learn from itself. But I think music is still something too human to be mastered only from a computer calculation. All the feelings and ideas someone can have while mastering your song is priceless comparing to a pragmatical / mathematical approach. So I wouldn't rely on it.
fck75 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 01:45 AM   #11
Andantonius
Sample Destroyer
Andantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7610

It would be better to just do faux masters yourself. Mastering isn't about putting a limiter on a waveform to make it louder (which is all an automated mastering program could do), it's about listening to the track in the context of an album and a genre and making sure it sounds as good as it possibly can within those parameters.

Mastering is *all* about getting a fresh set of ears (and most likely great analog gear and a treated room), so in the order of best to worst: Hire a mastering engineer is best, doing a quick master yourself is second best, and using landr is worst.
Andantonius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Andantonius
A.M (24-01-2015)
Old 26-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
Benwaa

i've just tried this on a free promo offer, and i'm unsure as to what i make of it tbh,i need to listen to it a lot to decide how i feel

anyway, to pass on the love i got for having two free wavs, if you use this link you'll also get two free wavs mastered from the to see what you think

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #13
fontlame
Radial Developer
fontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant future
Paris
MC Status: 1960

many says you shouldn't master your stuff yourself. for playback one would want to limit by a few db for a fine blending effect, or runned thru some analog outgear, bounced on tape/runned thru a tape plug in, etc. and fix the eq and other issues in the mix!

as for the rest i haven't tried landr yet.
fontlame is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 188460
Thanked 3,769 Times in 2,231 Posts

Don't listen to that Many guy.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #15
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

You're better off doing it yourself over using this piece of shit, no matter how bad you suck.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #16
fontlame
Radial Developer
fontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant future
Paris
MC Status: 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Don't listen to that Many guy.
honestly i myself don't care about mastering. but i know that if i run my track in a limiter and it doesn't sound as loud as my reference track i have a problem that can be fixed right in the mix.

yes you should use these tools on your track to see what happen.
fontlame is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #17
gecKohead
Minor Glitch
gecKohead has a spectacular aura aboutgecKohead has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I've only mastered a couple of my own tracks with serious effort into doing so, and I used Landr too. Even with my limited experience and mastering my own stuff, I still seemed to do a better job. Landr did just make it a bit louder and turn up the bass, compressing the shit out of everything else. It sounds 'radio-ready' , but only from the point of view that the radio seems to play exclusively loud, irritating pop-edm with nothing human or good about it. I settled on thinking that even if my mastering was shite, I would prefer it to sound like a person had dumped all over my mix than have it sound like the worst commercial releases.

As far as self-mastering goes, having a week or as long as possible between finishing your mix and then mastering it seemed to do an awful lot for how well I pulled it off. Pretty much the same deal as mixing a track after writing it, it seemed to me. Also for a basic mastering 101 you can do a lot worse than the PointBlank FFL on Mastering your track with free plug-ins which is, I believe, available for all on youtube. I would post the link but I'm at work so youtube is blocked.

Advertisements

gecKohead is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to gecKohead
A.M (28-02-2015)