Sun Dog Scale Studio
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 24-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
MichaelMartin
Regular Freak
MichaelMartin is currently spamming hard
Denver Colorado
MC Status: 10
Sun Dog Scale Studio

Hey has anyone ever worked with this program? I sometimes find that just getting Melody or Lead ideas is the breakthrough I need to get my song from idea to completion.

I am thinking about getting this an 40$ is not much of an investment, but I would like to put this out and see if anyone has used it.

I did a search and found nothing with IDMF

Advertisements

MichaelMartin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564980
Thanked 7,481 Times in 5,281 Posts
Re: Sun Dog Scale Studio

You could also spend 40 dollars and get a book that would teach you music theory. Watched the demo. Not sure I would pay 40 dollars for this. Seems like a crutch.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
MichaelMartin
Regular Freak
MichaelMartin is currently spamming hard
Denver Colorado
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
You could also spend 40 dollars and get a book that would teach you music theory. Watched the demo. Not sure I would pay 40 dollars for this. Seems like a crutch.
I am working specifically with a piano instructor for this very reason... And in all honesty I would love to someday be like ZEDD and play grand piano live, but as a newer producer, one who has read 100 thousand threads about people needing to find inspiration to move forward... I thought this might be the thing.

I dunno I could be wrong, but some of us have strong tech back and some have strong music back and some have both... I am tech for sure.
MichaelMartin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564980
Thanked 7,481 Times in 5,281 Posts

If you are already taking piano lessons I would say this isn't worth the money. At least for myself, something like is seems to pre-determine too much. I don't really pick a key to work in when I set down to the keyboard. I just noodle around until I find either a melody, bassline or chord progression I like then I work the rest out from there.

I don't like the idea of saying "Ok, this song WILL BE A Minor" before I even do anything else--it seems to me this software pretty much forces you to work this way. I just don't feel like that would be very inspirational for me.

I think I'd get more inspiration from going out for a night for the 40's or taking my girl to a nice steak dinner then from this software lol. I will admit I was immediately turned off by the demo video when the developer basically called song writing "annoying". I also don't like the process it suggests...that you would write all of your synth patches before you have any idea what your real musical ideas are. There was just a lot in the demo and on the website that I didn't like.

Music theory freed me from obsessing about the mix down.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2410

Save yourself 27 bucks

Study of Counterpoint: From Johann Joseph Fux's Gradus Ad Parnassum: Johann Joseph Fux, Alfred Mann: 9780393002775: Amazon.com: Books [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lepstok
relic (24-07-2014)