Using a spare QWERTY keyboard as a midi keyboard?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 25-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts
Using a spare QWERTY keyboard as a midi keyboard?

Basically i dont have my midi keys.but i read you could use a qwerty keyboard as a midi keyboard in sonar x3,however i have tried a bunch of things and suggestions i found but none of them work.
can anyone point me in the right direction?i have had no luck with my Google searches.
any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts
Re: using a spare qwerty keyboard as a midi keyboard?

I know it works in Reaper fairly easily, SonarX3 no clue.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Triton64
Triton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MC
Having fun
MC Status: 22350264
Thanked 1,170 Times in 674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtr View Post
Basically i dont have my midi keys.but i read you could use a qwerty keyboard as a midi keyboard in sonar x3,however i have tried a bunch of things and suggestions i found but none of them work.
can anyone point me in the right direction?i have had no luck with my Google searches.
any help would be greatly appreciated!
I know tim exile uses one on his live setup. Maybe look into that?

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The more you keep up w the board the less you'll want the OP at the top every time you open a thread you've been following and / or active in.
Triton64 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410

Tim Exile is using Reaktor though, which automatically has qwerty keyboard MIDI, albeit with plenty of latency.
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
UpSides
Granular Poster
UpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

It normally comes from your daw. If your daw doesn't have it then you need a virtual midi keyboard program. Here is a free one: vmpk.sourceforge.net/ (I'm sorry I can't link fully so put h t t p : / / in front ).

This link was recommended by a Sonar X3 user on another forum.
UpSides is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

I've used [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
before. Glovepie acts as a translator that sits between the qwerty keyboard and your DAW. You basically have a setup like this:

KEYBOARD -> GLOVEPIE IN -> GENERATES MIDI -> MIDI OUT TO A VIRTUAL MIDI DRIVER AND IN TO YOUR DAW.

Considering the pics I've seen of your gear Rixtr - I can't imagine why you'd want to fiddle with a qwerty midi layout rather than just get a cheap used midi keyboard. Even one of the akai mini 25 keys or something you could pick up for a few dollars used.

It gets a bit annoying always having to first open glovepie whenever you want to have a midi keyboard available. Doesn't one of your hardware synths have an unused midi-out port that you could connect to your interface?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!

Thanks for the replies,i only have my laptop to work with right now.
and no money or power supplies for my boards,thats why i am trying this.
i have loopb1 for midi,and sonar recognizes it,but i still cant make the qwerty a control surface.
I have tried a couple different virtual keyboard's but none work,including one thats supposed to work with sonar.dunno,maybe i don't get how the routing works?
scyn,i will give that a try thanks.
really sucks i cant set up my normal studio gear.
oh an and upsides ima try that one as well!

Last edited by Rixtr; 27-06-2014 at 07:07 PM..
Old 27-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
Re: Using a spare QWERTY keyboard as a midi keyboard?

I have seen one of these for 30 bucks

Thinking about getting one and using it instead of the hulking mass of a keyboard I have now.
Old 27-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Actually scratch that one, this one is 88 keys and usb

Just saw it at 11 bucks.
Thanks to Numerical
Rixtr (28-06-2014)
Old 28-06-2014, 01:41 AM   #10
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
fuck you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Actually scratch that one, this one is 88 keys and usb

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Just saw it at 11 bucks.
that looks pretty cool!
i just have to wait till the 3rd to get paid and have str8 ship up some of my stuff,wich he was kind enough to grab and hold for me.im just itching to make some tracks.
However it does work in FL studio,but the 64 bit plugins are a bit dodgy,so i will have to use the 32 bit as well.at least it's somthing,it's how i started anyway,renoise and my laptop.
Old 29-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

All I know is that FL Studio can do it out of the box. Read the FL Studio manual. Other than that, it seems like the NanoKEY2 by KORG is just as bad/(good?) as QWERTY keys and you could get one used for really cheap.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #12
UpSides
Granular Poster
UpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to behold

As far as qwerty in FL Studio, there was someone that created a huge amount of scales (several hundred) for qwerty templates and posted them in the Image Line forum. All you have to do is select the desired scale and all of the keys are remapped to only be in that scale. I have three keyboards 49 and 32 keys, but I find that I use qwerty mostly now because of the scale selection. I imagine that I would use the keyboards more if I was classically trained though. As it is, I'm not that great at keyboarding- barely ok at most. I've learned a lot of theory. I've had carpal tunnel problems for years, and I can't see myself properly using a keyboard.
Thanks to UpSides
Rixtr (01-07-2014)
Old 30-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #13
houserecords
Minor Glitch
houserecords will become famous soon enoughhouserecords will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I have seen one of these for 30 bucks

Thinking about getting one and using it instead of the hulking mass of a keyboard I have now.
Thats awesome WANT ONE
houserecords is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:27 AM   #14
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
fuck you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpSides View Post
As far as qwerty in FL Studio, there was someone that created a huge amount of scales (several hundred) for qwerty templates and posted them in the Image Line forum. All you have to do is select the desired scale and all of the keys are remapped to only be in that scale. I have three keyboards 49 and 32 keys, but I find that I use qwerty mostly now because of the scale selection. I imagine that I would use the keyboards more if I was classically trained though. As it is, I'm not that great at keyboarding- barely ok at most. I've learned a lot of theory. I've had carpal tunnel problems for years, and I can't see myself properly using a keyboard.
I searched that forum today and had no luckany chance you know the link?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:11 AM   #15
UpSides
Granular Poster

I'm sorry, it was just a forum link. The files are housed at Image Line's forum. I'll see what I can find and be right back. A few minutes of memory jogging and I'm sure I'll find something relating to it.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 AM   #16
UpSides
Granular Poster

Heh, I'm back. I remembered his name and couldn't find the complete pack on the forum, but I did find his website, and he has the pack there for download. The address to that page is:

h t t p : / / w w w . cafebeatpub.com/fl/ultimatetypingkeyboard.aspx

Sorry for the mangled link, but I can't post links yet.
Thanks to UpSides
Rixtr (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #17
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
fuck you!

cool beans man! thanks for the link!!!:victory:
Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
UpSides
Granular Poster

You're welcome. I saw your post in the other place, but you seemed happy with the answer that was provided. I didn't think that answer was what you were looking for though. You asked how to get it and the answer was how to use it. Hopefully, it works well for you. The layouts are great. I think that's why I use them so much. You can tell if a note is higher or lower by key placement with no exceptions. I'm not sure why, but they are very musical layouts. I may write one for myself for figuring out chord progressions.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #19
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
fuck you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpSides View Post
You're welcome. I saw your post in the other place, but you seemed happy with the answer that was provided. I didn't think that answer was what you were looking for though. You asked how to get it and the answer was how to use it. Hopefully, it works well for you. The layouts are great. I think that's why I use them so much. You can tell if a note is higher or lower by key placement with no exceptions. I'm not sure why, but they are very musical layouts. I may write one for myself for figuring out chord progressions.
yeah thanks again!i never really liked that forum,they seem unhelpful and hostile.
i never had a question answered,all i got was rtfm,when my issue wasn't even in the manual!
Thats why i came here years ago,i have learned so much here,and the people here are mostly cool.
best forum in my opinion,plus i have some great internet friends here!

Advertisements