What monitors do you have and why would you recommend them? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 13-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #21
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10610
Re: What monitors do you have and why would you recommend them?

Just got a pair of dynaudio lyd-5. If I can make any recommendation it is to get the right size for where you sit. I'm pretty close to my speakers and I previously had 8inch ones and it was really hard to get an accurate picture of the bass. I'm super thrilled with the Lyd-5!

Advertisements

envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #22
KillSwitch
Learning The Ropes
KillSwitch will become famous soon enough
Melbourne
MC Status: 60

I have KRK 5's
With Iso Acoustic stands to support them on a slight tilt.
They do well for me! Eventually due for an upgrade though!
KillSwitch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #23
Enoh7
Learning The Ropes
Enoh7 will become famous soon enough

Adam A8 here.Good balanced and big sound for reasonable money.
Enoh7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #24
clocolan
Analog Lurker
clocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant future
Providence, RI
MC Status: 1910

I use Yamaha HS-10M monitors. I used to own a pair of the NS-10M monitors for reference, but I now use these ones for all mixing/mastering. Very even response and all my mixes sound good in the car, on headphones etc.
clocolan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:40 AM   #25
Bonanza
Learning The Ropes
Bonanza will become famous soon enough
Puebla, Puebla.
Icon14 Re: What monitors do you have and why would you recommend them?

I just bought a pair of yamaha's HS8 and boy oh boy...
im never going back, they are awesome, the sound its crystal clear, you can feel the lows in your bones, great speakers.
Bonanza is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #26
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 3060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
im never going back, they are awesome, the sound its crystal clear, you can feel the lows in your bones, great speakers.
I got Yamaha hs80m, sound really is clear. However I wish I could try other monitors to actually hear the difference.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #27
Bonanza
Learning The Ropes
Puebla, Puebla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D View Post
I got Yamaha hs80m, sound really is clear. However I wish I could try other monitors to actually hear the difference.
Ive compared them to Genelecs, KRK 5/8 G3, and HS5s, apart from the genelecs (of course) but not by far, the HS8s were the best for me without a doubt.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #28
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 3060

Quote:
Ive compared them to Genelecs, KRK 5/8 G3, and HS5s, apart from the genelecs (of course) but not by far, the HS8s were the best for me without a doubt.
What music do you make/listen on them?
I need them for house music, and low frequences are super important. These Yamahas seems superb on high frequences. I always wondered myself are there any monitors superb'er on lower frequences, or....this is it. ^.^

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #29
Bonanza
Learning The Ropes
Puebla, Puebla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D View Post
What music do you make/listen on them?
I need them for house music, and low frequences are super important. These Yamahas seems superb on high frequences. I always wondered myself are there any monitors superb'er on lower frequences, or....this is it. ^.^
Im producing a lot of electronic music, say trip hop, hip hop, ambient... the low frequencies on these things are really great, the 8inch woofer is more than enough to play those frequencies really clear, i dont think im ever going to need a subwoofer.

I was listening to Gesaffelstein the other day with a friend on my hs8s and he told me, he had never heard those songs with such definition, if you have the chance, i wouldnt let them go without trying
Currently Listening To: Flying Lotus
Old 12-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #30
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565580
Thanked 7,493 Times in 5,291 Posts

8inch monitors in an untreated room might cause more problems than the loss of low end response on smaller monitors.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #31
Bonanza
Learning The Ropes
Puebla, Puebla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
8inch monitors in an untreated room might cause more problems than the loss of low end response on smaller monitors.
thats 100% true, my speakers are in a not that big of a room, so i need to trim the low end with the control room switch, but regardless, they still sound really good even if a have them on a really low volume.
Old 18-03-2017, 06:51 AM   #32
EggplantPurple
Minor Glitch
EggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to behold
Toronto/Tkaronto
MC Status: 860

Quote:
I have these too and I'm happy with them. If only I had space to properly setup a studio... :/
EggplantPurple is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #33
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534501

A treated room with Genelec 8030's because they suited the size of my room,

I didn't want bass resonating in every corner from a monitor with more lower end.........

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #34
JasonTheKid
Learning The Ropes
JasonTheKid is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I have JBL LSR's - an older version with the carbon fronts. They're 8-incher's and my "studio" is well a complete mess with all kinds of crap - I'm starved for space in my flat. But I find that if I sit properly - equidistant from each speaker and the correct height, it combats the downside of poor treatment. I make mostly d'n'b and the my tracks translate well when I play them out when DJing.

If I had more coin, I would consider the barefoot audio speakers. I heard them at a trade show (closed listening room) and they're pretty sick.
JasonTheKid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #35
slugvision
Knob Twiddler
slugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond repute
Tampere
MC Status: 3560

RCF Ayra 5. Thinking of upgrading in the near future, maybe HS7's or HS8's.

I wish I was a rich man
:notafinga:

------------------
<a href=https://slugvision.wordpress.com/ target=_blank>https://slugvision.wordpress.com/</a>
slugvision is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 06:34 AM   #36
prophonic
Minor Glitch
prophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

still using my trusty Dynaudio BM6A (old version), they translate well, fairly neutral and the bass feels more defined than eg KRKs of that size.
prophonic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #37
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010

JBL LSR 305s here. They're very clear monitors and their relatively small size make them perfect for a small untreated room.
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #38
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I picked up the M-Audio M3-8s recently, I always liked the look of them and the more reviews I read the more I was thinking they'd be a great choice. They look great in my room (everything is wood, not the least reflective thing but, again, it looks nice!) and the mid tweeter gives more representation to the mids, which I never really noticed were lacking at all until I got these. Another reason I bought them is that, after reading all the reviews and setting my sights on them, they stopped selling them! I managed to hunt some down and that really made me eager to buy them. I have a small studio set up and, in hindsight, probably should have gone for the slightly smaller model, but they weren't much more expensive and I got sucked in haha. I would recommend them for sure, but for untreated rooms there are probably much cheaper alternatives that are still being manufactured and have a relatively similar quality. Like mentioned before, just buy a pair you're happy with and learn them inside out!
Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #39
benelli3000
Knob Twiddler
benelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MC
Los Angeles
MC Status: 6398019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRapitops View Post
Hello,
I'm interested in what monitors people have in their studios.
So what pair(s) are you rocking and do they get their job done appropriately
Cheers!

Edit: Oh and put a picture as well if you want
18 years going with OG NS10M round domes. Bryston 4b power amp, late 70's. I use these because everything else sounds like Beats headphones to me, I guess. Would love a pair of barefoots, naturally, but like ok $9k never gonna happen, lolol. Anyway it's pretty tought to make things sound terrific on these monitors and once that's achieved, they translate really well.

------------------
benelli3000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #40
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64410
Thanked 1,288 Times in 949 Posts

Mine, mostly because those are the ones I have.

Can you tell I'm bored and trolling?

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote