Adobe DAW? Adobe Audition - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:01 AM   #21
Vescor
Granular Poster
Vescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of light
Earth
MC Status: 460
Re: Adobe DAW? Adobe Audition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanIsElectric View Post
If you had to pick, what would you say is the easiest DAW to pickup? Again, this is just for fun, not to become a serious producer.
It depends a lot on your work flow.

See, learning a DAW is like learning a language. They all do pretty much the same thing, but some will be more difficult to learn compared to others, and some will "click" with you and some won't.

What I'm trying to say is, you're going to find you like working with one DAW better than working with another (like you might find working with Photoshop better than something else). So you have to think about what you're going to find easier to learn and ultimately easier for you to make music.

If you like working in very straightforward, well spaced out programs where everythings quick, where there's a lot of capability, and everything is pretty much the same every time (i.d. if you want to add a sample you do this, if you want to add an effect go there, etc), then Ableton Live will be perfect for you.

If you like working in more broader DAWs, where there's many different ways to do things, and you're kind of free to do whatever you want and it's more like painting on a canvas, then FL Studio is the best choice for you.

Those are the two that I use, they both do most things as well as the other (Ableton does have slightly more functionality in some ways, and vice versa) . I suggest you download the demos and see which you prefer. There's some other DAWs you should try out too: Reason and Cubase, which both have free demos that you can try out.

There's also tonnes of tutorials for all those programs so don't worry about it being too difficult (even for a hobbyist)

Happy music making,

- V

FL Studio 11 Demo - Image Line

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Ableton Live 9 Demo - Ableton

Cubase 7 Demo - Steinberg

Reason 8 Demo - Proppellorhead

Advertisements

------------------
My most recent track:
-

-
Vescor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #22
aLiner
Knob Twiddler
aLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond repute
Galway
MC Status: 2810

If there was a fully fledged DAW which was like the photoshop of music production, I would say it's Cockos Reaper.

Even though it's not from adobe, it has that adobe feel.
aLiner is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: D-Wayne & Leon Boiler - Detonate
Old 07-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #23
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholloway View Post
Calling Audition a proper "DAW" is inaccurate / misleading, because of the following:

1. It cannot load plug-in instruments.

2. It has no MIDI functionality whatsoever, because (see point 1).

What it is, is a high-end Audio Editor application that also happens to feature a multi-track section. The multi-track could certainly be "used like a DAW" to arrange audio files into full songs. You can edit them extensively using the editor, and apply plugin FX.

it's a great program, and I've been using it since back in the day of Cool Edit Pro Version 2. But Ableton is my DAW; Audition is my audio editor. I don't really use the multi-track function of it, though I used to quite extensively back when it was CEP.

-M

Absolute twallop and misinformation

Audition is massively powerful, more so than ableton live. I've used it constantly since it being cool edit, upgrading each time too. Now, whilst i use it mainly as an audio editor i've also used it to make beds, ads and jingles for radio stations and stuff. Shit, everyone who wanted to be at the radio station i was at HAD to learn audition as part of their training.
YOU CAN use you VST's in it just by telling it the vst folder of yours and scanning it. I have everything available to me in Audition i have in live bar the native plugs.

screenshot from my own copy: It has full midi control if you bother to set it up. This is professional audio production software and really should be looked into further before dismissing it as the ill-informed user in that quote seems to. I personally couldn't do what i do without it. that simple.

I whole whole-heartedly recommend it

Last edited by Benwaa; 07-12-2014 at 05:25 PM..
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #24
Praxisaxis
Knob Twiddler
Praxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5810

I used to make a few tunes in Cool Edit years and years ago. I have to say, I don't know how you'd so easily make electronic music in it considering today's alternatives, but some producers swear by it (which I think is kinda cool.... it's like being really into biplanes or something).

Audition does have some extremely useful functions, a few of which actually do seem to be pretty unique to it (though I don't know what every DAW offers in those ways).

* Group Waveform Normalise. Even if you don't want to normalise, it has a great offline loudness analysis tool.
* Opens a crapload of media, including ripping audio direct from CD
* Really excellent batch processing feature (for various tasks)
* Great spectral view, and cool ability to import bitmaps as audio (see the video I linked below)
* Surround sound editor
* Rudimentary video support
* Very good CD burning utility
* excellent, universal shortcut key assignment

I did this - just a quick little experiment - using Audition:

edit: For the features mentioned above I'm talking about Audition 3, which might be pretty dated by now....

------------------
-----------------------------
PRAXIS AXIS
Praxisaxis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #25
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post

Audition is massively powerful, more so than ableton live. I've used it constantly since it being cool edit, upgrading each time too. Now, whilst i use it mainly as an audio editor i've also used it to make beds, ads and jingles for radio stations and stuff. Shit, everyone who wanted to be at the radio station i was at HAD to learn audition as part of their training.
YOU CAN use you VST's in it just by telling it the vst folder of yours and scanning it. I have everything available to me in Audition i have in live bar the native plugs.

screenshot from my own copy: It has full midi control if you bother to set it up. This is professional audio production software and really should be looked into further before dismissing it as the ill-informed user in that quote seems to. I personally couldn't do what i do without it. that simple.

I whole whole-heartedly recommend it
interesting!...i have had this without even realizing it!derp...i have adobe master collection cs 5 and 6,i got it for ps,illustrator flash fireworks etc.didn't realize audition was an audio thing.
cool!i will have to look around and see how it works.
Thanx Benwaa!!!
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Rixtr
Old 08-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #26
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtr View Post
interesting!...i have had this without even realizing it!derp...i have adobe master collection cs 5 and 6,i got it for ps,illustrator flash fireworks etc.didn't realize audition was an audio thing.
cool!i will have to look around and see how it works.
Thanx Benwaa!!!

i have a full tutorial thing for it somewhere if you want it, PM me if so
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #27
Histronics
Radial Developer
Histronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond repute
Bradenton, Florida
MC Status: 4110

That's really odd for music production. It can do it, but its so not geared towards it. I usually use it with Premiere when I bounce out the audio to Audition for the final audio pass. At the end of the day, do whatever works for you.
Histronics is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #28
polarforsker
Learning The Ropes
polarforsker is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I work in Audition 3 only and been doing it for +10 years (back in the Cool Edit days) and it is definitely possible to use it as a DAW, but you have to play to its strengths. Making music with Audition can be tedious and requires you to do a lot of things manually that other DAWs have automated. You have to make things sound good yourself...

If you plan to do a lot of sampling type stuff, it will fit like a glove, but if you want to layer a lot of midi tracks with virtual instruments, you're asking for a struggle and I seriously doubt you'll ever finish a track. However it is not impossible to add a few midi noodles to a sample heavy track. Be aware that all versions newer than Audition 3 has no midi support.

What I really love about Audition is the way you can chop up samples, turn them upside down and inside out and quickly build crazy grooves in the multitrack editor. Also the effects can really mash you sounds in a lot of different directions.

Over the years I've worked with Fruity Loops, Ableton Live, Presonus One, Logic, but I've always returned to Audition.
polarforsker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Autechre - Amber
Old 14-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #29
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1436359

Quote:

YOU CAN use you VST's in it just by telling it the vst folder of yours and scanning it. I have everything available to me in Audition i have in live bar the native plugs.... This is professional audio production software and really should be looked into further before dismissing it as the ill-informed user in that quote seems to.
Settle down, dude.

The OP asked if it was a full-featured DAW. I said no, and I said why, and despite whatever fantasy world you live in, that is still absolutely true. Bear in mind I'm also talking about Adobe Audition in its latest incarnation; if you're running some older versions of CEP, there are certainly differences in functionality, as you should know.

To repeat myself: it cannot load VST instruments. I don't give a crap about your screencaps of PSP fx plugins. I never said a thing about that. I said it has no Piano Roll, and it can't load VST instruments.

It has no piano roll, and when I said no MIDI capability, that's what I meant; you can't load VST instruments and record into a piano roll and edit the midi, because that is not what this program does. Does it do a bunch of other stuff? yes, it's a full featured audio editor and I use it on a regular basis.

As for saying it's more powerful than Ableton Live, c'mon -- apples to oranges. Live doesn't even have desctructive audio editing on board. It's a workstation for midi sequencing and audio-warping using their various tools. It's not an audio editor. I have Live configured to out-source to Audition when I click the "edit' button on an audio clip... as it was designed to do, since Live isn't built for that stuff, and Audition is. But someone looking to do midi composition in Audition, well, they are looking in the wrong place. Etc Etc. These two programs are not on any level of competition; they are designed for different purposes. But you surely must know all this.

------------------
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #30
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholloway View Post
Settle down, dude.

The OP asked if it was a full-featured DAW. I said no, and I said why, and despite whatever fantasy world you live in, that is still absolutely true. Bear in mind I'm also talking about Adobe Audition in its latest incarnation; if you're running some older versions of CEP, there are certainly differences in functionality, as you should know.

To repeat myself: it cannot load VST instruments. I don't give a crap about your screencaps of PSP fx plugins. I never said a thing about that. I said it has no Piano Roll, and it can't load VST instruments.

It has no piano roll, and when I said no MIDI capability, that's what I meant; you can't load VST instruments and record into a piano roll and edit the midi, because that is not what this program does. Does it do a bunch of other stuff? yes, it's a full featured audio editor and I use it on a regular basis.

As for saying it's more powerful than Ableton Live, c'mon -- apples to oranges. Live doesn't even have desctructive audio editing on board. It's a workstation for midi sequencing and audio-warping using their various tools. It's not an audio editor. I have Live configured to out-source to Audition when I click the "edit' button on an audio clip... as it was designed to do, since Live isn't built for that stuff, and Audition is. But someone looking to do midi composition in Audition, well, they are looking in the wrong place. Etc Etc. These two programs are not on any level of competition; they are designed for different purposes. But you surely must know all this.

first off, you come across like a total wanker, one who "knows it all but knows jack shit"
Nobody spoke of a specific version of Audition, therefore the possibility of using midi is there (if you use your brain, its simple enough to work around in CS6 too). second of all, so is using VST Instruments. (it's all actually usable in cs6 too)
As for saying it's more powerful than live, it quite simply is. you can do so much more in it - can you record and create mutli-channel sync for film audio with live? Can you edit the spectrum analysis with a "healing" tool in live? Nope. shall i carry on listing how much more powerful a prog Audition is than live? do i really have to do that?
Then onto the next bit of shite... Live does have destructive editing, you can edit audio in it pretty easily - a simple example of that wold be the "crop clip" command - but then being a know it all wanker you know that don't you.

and of course, VSTi's don't work in Audition do they, noooo because you really tried hard to find out how to do that didn't you? well... didn't you? you realise that MIDI capability means more than jst a piano roll, midi capability is the ABILITY TO USE MIDI COMMANDS TO CONTROL THE PROGRAM OR CERTAIN AREAS OF IT, not just wank over a piano roll.
The fact of the matter is, whether these things are different and designed for different uses is moot in this argument, what isn't moot is the BS you're talking without anything to back it up. Just because you don't know how to do something, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

AA CS6 screenshot (no doubt you'll not give a fuck about because yet again it proves you wrong)

and if you think i'm being horrible to you, you're the worst kind of know it all is why. You shout out how this is this and that is that, but truth is you're full of shit and piss and when it comes to proving you wrong you still won't accept how wrong you are - that's the bit that makes you a wanker. wanker.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #31
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts

^^........................:banana2:...... .....
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #32
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Just when you thought things were getting status quo on IDMf someone goes and brings up Adobe Audition

Seriously though, can someone explain in a few details how Audition is more powerful than Live? I'm not disputing that fact, I'd just like to know. I can't think of anything I've needed to do, or wanted to do for that matter, that I haven't been able to do, or know that I could if I knew exactly how, in Live.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
; would you kindly explain what this "Spectrum Heal" thing does?

remember using CoolEdit Pro back in my broadcasting school days, good times.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #33
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

^ spectral editing / noise cancellation. Loop creation. Audio editing. Batch processing. To name a few things that it does better than Live.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
RFJ (16-12-2014)
Old 16-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #34
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Just when you thought things were getting status quo on IDMf someone goes and brings up Adobe Audition

Seriously though, can someone explain in a few details how Audition is more powerful than Live? I'm not disputing that fact, I'd just like to know. I can't think of anything I've needed to do, or wanted to do for that matter, that I haven't been able to do, or know that I could if I knew exactly how, in Live.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
; would you kindly explain what this "Spectrum Heal" thing does?

remember using CoolEdit Pro back in my broadcasting school days, good times.

google is so hard to use isn't it

have a video RFJ (it says on mac, but this is the same on windows too)

Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
RFJ (16-12-2014)
Old 16-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #35
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote:

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #36
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Well I know from experience that sometimes I can type terms into Google and trawl through reams of information trying to find what I am looking for where someone who was more knowledgable in the topic I'm researching would probably be able to find something relevant, helpful and less confusing for me in a few seconds.

Unfortunately, Google et al haven't figured out how to abstract the meaning of our words yet. They're just arbitrary terms in a dictionary.

Don't believe me, Google How is Audition better than Live. Not very helpful. What about including the company names? Also not very helpful. Let's try comparing the products? Hmm, doesn't seem anyone's posted about that on the Ableton forums.

I guess we'll just have to search for people who use Audition and Live and ask them directly :badger:
Old 16-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #37
Benwaa

i love you jaded

my point is any muppet can input "adobe audition spectrum" into google (try it and see) and see what it comes up with, i think the point is that people should at least try to google first, then ask after they don't get the answer, which defeats the purpose of threads like this and so on and around :badger:
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
Jaded (16-12-2014)
Old 16-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #38
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
i think the point is that people should at least try to google first, then ask after they don't get the answer, which defeats the purpose of threads like this and so on and around :badger:
So wait. You're saying we should close IDMf? Dude I didn't realise shit was getting that bad. If you're sick of typing shit into Google for me, that's cool. I'll just send you fifty bucks and you can hire an intern so you can have a break over Christmas.
Thanks to Jaded
Old 16-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #39
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
So wait. You're saying we should close IDMf? Dude I didn't realise shit was getting that bad. If you're sick of typing shit into Google for me, that's cool. I'll just send you fifty bucks and you can hire an intern so you can have a break over Christmas.

an intern? i'm sold, i'll send YOU 50 bucks for one of those!
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #40
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Dude I'll do it for fifty bucks! I need the cash bro.

Advertisements