Whats a good way to expand my synthesis knowledge?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
chebiva
Knob Twiddler
chebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant future
San Francisco
MC Status: 1965
Whats a good way to expand my synthesis knowledge?

Ive read a few articles, seen that video in the sticky above and most important of all do experiment all the time but I'm looking for a little more direction. Anyone have any links, books, or tips that can help me out?

Advertisements

------------------
chebiva is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538
Re: Whats a good way to expand my synthesis knowledge?

Watch youtube videos, read synthesis articles, try to create sounds yourself, pick a preset and analyze how the patch was made, use many different forms of synthesis, etc etc.

Here are a couple sites you can use:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to YoMyEX
chebiva (22-06-2012)
Old 20-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
jBam
Radial Developer
jBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud of
Melbourne
MC Status: 1413

I absolutely love synthesis... There's certainly a learning curve involved, but I'd suggest that the simplest way to get a better understanding of how things work is to use a really simple synthesiser. Start with subtractive styles, and wait until you have a full grasp. If you don't recognise the term "subtractive synthesis", type it into your favourite search engine and read about it - hopefully a good and scientific article with diagrams pops up pretty high on the search list.

With so many synths these days that can do SO much, it may be quite confusing to jump on one of the mega-synths to learn. Ideally you'd start with a one oscillator synth, with a filter, one LFO and a single envelope, but I doubt there's a soft synth out there like that - you can always just use one oscillator of several I guess! If you have the cash and want a hardware synth, buy a Juno 106 which are lovely. Otherwise... hmmm... I'm not really sure of any super basic soft synths, but there must be some out there! Maybe you have one bundled with your DAW that is very basic? Once you start to get your head around the basics of a single oscillator, then the world of two oscillators is next - soft/hard sync, am and fm etc... fun fun fun! I guess the point is that the sooner you have a full understanding of the basics, the sooner you'll be able to master the complexities of deep synthesis!!

If you have any questions about what things mean on a synth (e.g. ADSR, cutoff, LFO) then this is the place to post it!

-------------
jBam Music
jBam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jBam
chebiva (22-06-2012)
Old 20-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
redgly
Minor Glitch
redgly will become famous soon enoughredgly will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Learn how to recreate all sounds, kick snare hit bass lead arpeggio and so on, youtube is your friend.
redgly is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to redgly
chebiva (22-06-2012)
Old 22-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
chebiva
Knob Twiddler
chebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant futurechebiva has a brilliant future
San Francisco
MC Status: 1965

yeah I know what all of the various parameters do I just feel like the basic timbre of each sound I create(for the most part) sounds either cheap or simple, or when I do spend the time to get a decent sound it doesnt end up fitting. I was wondering if there was like an in depth theory of some sort for synthesis to help guide my exploration in sound design but idk...Thanks for those links!

------------------
chebiva is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Lghtsnshwdwn
Knob Twiddler
Lghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MC
MC Status: 292483

I've been pondering this for a while now but I'm just too busy to look into it. Like a cook book for basic synthesis. Sometimes I scroll through the absynth presets and wonder how the original programmer even came up with the idea for some of the sounds.

------------------
Lghtsnshwdwn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478858
Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lghtsnshwdwn View Post
Like a cook book for basic synthesis.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
marsdrums
marsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MC
Turin
MC Status: 13535

Listen-Practice-Practice-Practice-Practice-Practice-Listen-Practice-Practice-Practice-break-Practice-Practice-Practice-listen-Practice-Practice-Practice-weed-Practice-Practice-Practice-Practice-buy FM8-Practice-Practice-Practice-Practice-Buy alchemy-Practice-Practice-Practice.

You're now the jedi of synthesis

------------------

Composer & Sound Designer
marsdrums is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

I found 'How to make a noise' by Simon Cann one of the better resources around on sound synthesis. You can download a free version here:

Another good one is Howard Scarr's Virus tutorial. Even if you don't own a Virus, it's still an excellent read, as he really outlines the idea of what kind of patch he wants to build first. And then starts to build it out piece by piece. You can still probably get pretty close to those patches with just about any synth based on subtractive synthesis. You can download it here:

iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBam View Post
Ideally you'd start with a one oscillator synth, with a filter, one LFO and a single envelope, but I doubt there's a soft synth out there like that - you can always just use one oscillator of several I guess!
is made exactly for that. It comes with a bunch of presets, which show the user what knobs do what. And it's really minimal.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Lghtsnshwdwn
Knob Twiddler
Lghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MCLghtsnshwdwn is a savage MC
MC Status: 292483

..touche ..

------------------
Lghtsnshwdwn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #12
Vogait
Granular Poster
Vogait will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

[quote=YoMyEX;900820]Watch youtube videos, read synthesis articles, try to create sounds yourself, pick a preset and analyze how the patch was made, use many different forms of synthesis, etc etc.

Here are a couple sites you can use:
/quote]

good stuff

Advertisements

Vogait is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote