Studio Headphones recommendations ?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 15-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Egocent
Regular Freak
Egocent has a spectacular aura aboutEgocent has a spectacular aura about
Ingolstadt, Germany
MC Status: 160
Icon9 Studio Headphones recommendations ?

Hey guys, need a bit of ideas

I'm in the market for a new pair of studio headphones, and am willing to listen to what experience and advice you could share with me. A little info, to clearify things :

I moved for my studies currently to a new place, and this place cannot be modified : I cannot add any acoustic panels on the walls and isolate it in any way. One part of the room is completely glass, so I have a not so good acoustic-sounding room, where i've put my portable studio to make techno in my free time.

I have a pair of KRK Rokit 6 active speakers, which i've been using for the last couple of years, and I find them to be comfortable for electronic music, and getting fast ideas.

HOWEVER, when doing mastering on these monitors with 0 acoustics in the room, the final mixdown turns to be not what I wanted it to be exactly. Also, i'm unable to make music at night because of sensible neighbours.

That's why I'm in the market of a pair of STUDIO headphones. I have an excellent pair of Xone XD-53 for DJ'ing, but they're too heavy on my head, and since they're dj headphones, too bass-heavy as well.

What suggestions do you have ? My main requirement is, that they are light to use on the head (working 3+ hours), and to have sufficient bass frequency for making techno.

for the record, my dad has a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 headphones, which have very good reviews on the net, and sound definitely not bad, but they are very strongly attached when put on your head, and cause me headache when I work for more than an hour.

I don't want to spend more than around 150-160 euros currently, as I'm student and cannot splash the big cash for 300+ headphones :/

P.S. some guys I know recommended me DT770 Pro 250ohm version, any feedback on those ?

thank you!!

Advertisements

Egocent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776
Re: Studio Headphones recommendations ?

I've got the 80 ohm dt770's and they're great, but honestly, unless you're recording vocals or can't have *any* sound spill, you might be better off with semi, or fully open-backed headphones like the 880's or 990's (though both are a bit more expensive) if you want a more accurate representation of the sound, which I assume is the case since you mentioned that you were having trouble specifically with mixing/mastering. I also don't know that they'd be significantly lighter than your dad's headphones. Also, if you're making music on headphones, you probably will be wanting to break regularly to avoid listening fatigue anyway, so I'm not sure there's any overwhelming reason to invest in new headphones for the possibly negligible difference they will provide, unless you have the opportunity to put them on your head before buying to see if they're actually drastically more comfortable (though I guess I should mention the velour padding on the beyerdynamics is pretty damn comfy)

Last edited by penguinoid; 16-10-2014 at 10:42 PM..
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Egocent
Regular Freak
Ingolstadt, Germany

Thanks for ur answer!
yeah, my main requirements are comfortable, and a true, realistic image of the sound, not something coloured like my DJ headphones.

and I do need to buy, since i don't have the HD280's at my disposal, studying in a different country now

I heard the 80ohm version of the BD770 is not as powerful as the 250? or am I mistaken?
Old 15-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA

If by powerful you mean louder, the opposite is true, higher impedance models need more signal to reach the same output level! but, like I said, if you're looking for more accurate monitoring, and a realistic representation of the sound, you should really be looking at semi, or open-backed models.

Last edited by penguinoid; 15-10-2014 at 09:57 PM..
Old 15-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565280
Thanked 7,487 Times in 5,286 Posts

I really love my AKG 702s (same as 701s except for their aesthetic design). Sennheiser make great headphones and I see them recommend around electronic music forums in particular. But there are lots of great options. I've heard fantastic things about the Focal Spirits as well, but they are closed back and as peguinoid stated, you'll want open back headphones if a little noise spillage isn't a concern.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
penguinoid (15-10-2014)
Old 15-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23210

What would you guys recommend for mixing and mastering tracks with a good low for bass and clear drums and just a great clear sound for mixing

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110600
Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,419 Posts

When it comes to impedance, consider your sound source. If you want to use say, your iphone or mp3 player, lower impedance is better. If you will be using a headphone amplifier, go higher impedance, like 600 Ohms. Running direct out of an audio interface, if you are mixing with quite a bit of headroom, you may find 250 Ohms impedance to be soft.

I will second thinking about whether or not you need closed or open back headphones in making your decision. I needed closed back because my "studio" space is noisey sometimes.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
penguinoid (15-10-2014)
Old 15-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
Egocent
Regular Freak
Ingolstadt, Germany

I see. Well I will be powering my headphones via my Motu Ultralite sound interface, would that be sufficient? And all in all, I prefer closed ones in general, simply used to that because of DJ headphones and I like to exclude myself completely from the world, when making music, I guess.

anyway, if open is way better, then I believe, then i would go for that.

Edit: why am I not allowed to thank you guys ? I mean, there's no button or anything. Is it due to my post count?
Old 15-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
Berkeley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egocent View Post
And all in all, I prefer closed ones in general, simply used to that because of DJ headphones and I like to exclude myself completely from the world, when making music, I guess.
is there a lot of noise in the room you work in? the advantages to closed headphones would be if you record vocals or actual physical instruments (you haven't mentioned it so I'll assume not?) or if you are in a noisy environment and actually need to be closed off from outside noise, or are planing to listen on them in public or with your significant other sleeping in the same room.
If none of those is the case, you are sacrificing a good stereo image for sound isolation.

Also, I forgot there was a headphones thread stickied in the forum:[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by penguinoid; 16-10-2014 at 04:33 AM..
Old 16-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
quantumcode
Minor Glitch
quantumcode has a spectacular aura aboutquantumcode has a spectacular aura about
Calgary

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ath-m50s. They're pretty good closed backs for the price.
Pretty accurate and has enough bass to monitor a bit of the lows

------------------
quantumcode is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

ath-M50s

There, happy?

(would love a pair, I've used them before but don't own them)
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #12
JD1112
Knob Twiddler
JD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to behold
Bristol, TN
MC Status: 660

Because nothing says fuck the elitist quite like a pair of beats headphones.

------------------

Sometimes, when I get bored, I grab a few beers and surf missed connections on craigslist to see if the waitress at Perkins knows if i'm creeping on her yet.
JD1112 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #13
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
Berkeley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1112 View Post
Because nothing says fuck my final mix quite like a pair of beats headphones.
*Fixed*

is it really now "elitist" to want an accurate reflection of your mix instead of a bass-hyped mess?

I would like to strike everything I said before and recommend these Skullcandy headphones, because nothing says "fuk teh h8rz" like a pair of fuzzy Hello Kitty Skullcandy headphones:

Last edited by penguinoid; 16-10-2014 at 11:47 PM..
Old 16-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #14
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110600
Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,419 Posts

That and the fact that Beats cost more because they are Beats yo. Beats are bling for the classless. Step up to some diamond-studded Ultrasones or Stax.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #15
JD1112
Knob Twiddler
JD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to behold
Bristol, TN
MC Status: 660

If you don't think this is the greatest you're wrong and i hate you.

------------------

Sometimes, when I get bored, I grab a few beers and surf missed connections on craigslist to see if the waitress at Perkins knows if i'm creeping on her yet.
JD1112 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #16
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Getting back on track...

Honestly I don't think closed back or open back really matters as you'll still need to check your mix on speakers to get an accurate representation of the stereo field. Sure open backed can, in some cases, mimic this but it's not going to get you all the way there by any means.

I use the M50's and find them a bit hyped in both the lows and the top end. I wouldn't dare make anything public after mixing anything down on those only but I'm thinking this would be the case with any pair of studio quality cans due to the stereo field issue I mentioned.

The biggest issue I've encountered when mixing with little speakers pressed to my ears isn't accuracy but width.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #17
SunkLo
SunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MC
MC Status: 132350

Look around for a pair of used Sennheiser HD 580s. Swap the plastic grilles for mesh ones or just take them off altogether. Maybe do a cable swap as well. Essentially an HD600 for half the price.
SunkLo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SunkLo
relic (17-10-2014)
Old 17-10-2014, 02:30 AM   #18
motox2121
Sample Destroyer
motox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MC
MC Status: 1118834

Got a pair of ath - m50x a couple months ago, really amazing producing cans, flat, closed ear, decent sound isolation etc.

They have really nice unique cam lock on their headphone cordS (Comes with 3 different styles) that lock your cord in so it doesnt pop out. This is a small detail but it shows that they put effort into making a quality product. These headphones are commonplace in the industry.

For mixing, ATH-m50 headphones are much better than low-mid level studio monitors in an untreated room - even sub, in my experience. If you don't have the resources or can't modify your acoustic environment, I would recommend headphones over monitors, and DEFINITELY do not buy a subwoofer.

------------------
motox2121 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 02:46 AM   #19
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

^Whats your opinion on how they translate? Like from the first play of the first reference check?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #20
motox2121
Sample Destroyer
motox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MC
MC Status: 1118834

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
^Whats your opinion on how they translate? Like from the first play of the first reference check?
Highs seemed a little bright but smooth, not too harsh, and the overall frequency spectrum sounded very seperated and detailed. You could hear that the highs were seperated from the mids and seemed to take up a different space in the stereo image.

The imaging is pretty damn good too but not the best I have ever heard. Still better than monitors in an untreated room where you will get phasing. I use the m50's for any micro/ detail work like subtle reverb / delays or any stereo fine tuning.

Advertisements

------------------
motox2121 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote