Good headphones? - Page 22
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 18-02-2018, 07:29 AM   #421
Vault O)))
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 70910
Thanked 1,418 Times in 917 Posts
Re: Good headphones?

Wow, that's interesting. I wonder if it actually makes for better listening (I'd also be terrified to begin mixing with those)

Advertisements

------------------

Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #422
glober
IDMf's latest spammer
glober has a spectacular aura aboutglober has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Thinking of finally getting a pair of nice headphones.

A friend of mine recommended Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO-250 (these require a headphone amp right)?
Is this slightly better than the PRO-80 version? (which doesn't require a headphone amp)?

In addition, what are some other good alternatives at this price range I should perhaps look into?

Audio-Technica ATH-M50X?
Sennheiser HD280PRO?

I've often heard these names being brought up, but how do they compare to beyderdynamic dt 770?
glober is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to glober
Iyashi Sound (21-02-2018)
Old 21-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #423
Iyashi Sound
Master of the LFO
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 21660

Quote:
Originally Posted by glober View Post
A friend of mine recommended Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO-250 (these require a headphone amp right)?
No, you don't need a separate amplifier - they'll work on any normal headphone output. On low impedance outputs, like an mp3 player or a smart-phone, you'll just not get the full sound potential out of them.

Headphone output impedance is usually listed in the "technical specifications" section of the manual for your mixer or soundcard - or whatever you're using.

One thing about Beyerdynamic phones is that their design doesn't fit everyone. I personally have a relatively big balloon shaped head and can't wear them for very long before it becomes painful (and distracting). They also tend to be very warm, so if you're a sweaty lard-ass like myself, open designs like the ones from Grado Labs are worth checking out as well.

In any case, if you order your headphones online wihtout having tried them on first, it's a good idea to be very critical about how well they fit you, - not only about how good they sound.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #424
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6510

Quote:
Originally Posted by glober View Post
In addition, what are some other good alternatives at this price range I should perhaps look into?

Audio-Technica ATH-M50X?
Sennheiser HD280PRO?
I got both. If I had to only pick one, I'd go with m50x. Before buying, I compared them to around dozen different similary priced headphones (including three pairs of Beyerdynamics) in the store.

But whatever you pick, seriously that Sonarworks plugin mentioned above is gold like @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
said. I've been using the demo version of Ref 4 for two or three days now and hate life for me not knowing about it earlier.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #425
Plague
Analog Lurker
Plague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud of
Munich
MC Status: 1310

I have Shure SRH1440 which are fantastic
Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #426
Dumit
IDMf's latest spammer
Dumit will become famous soon enoughDumit will become famous soon enough
Americana, SP
MC Status: 110

I have AKG K414P is a very good sound
Dumit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #427
xxi
Minor Glitch
xxi has a spectacular aura aboutxxi has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

the t.bone HD 200 for 19,60 euro,you won't have the perfect sound to "fool" your ears but the amount of bass is right and you can get a clear image of your mix.I had senheiser (and still have but don't use them anymore) worth 200 euro and i use t.bone....
xxi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #428
bu.re_
Granular Poster
bu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to behold
los angeles
MC Status: 810

if you're looking for a pair of headphones for under 200, i suggest the audio technica ath-m50s or the m50xs. i use the ath-m50s, which i've had for a few years. the frequency response is solid and they've held up extremely well. they're great for producing, as well as general listening.
the only downside is that ear cups can get a bit uncomfortable if you wear them for long sessions— especially if you wear glasses— but i got used to them after a week or so.
i've also heard shining experiences about the beyerdynamic 770s. they're apparently super comfy!
bu.re_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #429
Bretzky52
IDMf's latest spammer
Bretzky52 will become famous soon enough
Palm Springs
MC Status: 60

I used AudioTechnica M50x and I've really enjoyed them. They are super affordable for the quality of sound they give. I've had my current pair for about 2 years with no problems.
Bretzky52 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bretzky52
Stich (03-06-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 PM   #430
Theoctavist
Regular Freak
Theoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really nice
MC Status: 360

M50x with the sonarworks correction curve vst. Superb

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
Theoctavist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #431
mcuhsaircu
Regular Freak
mcuhsaircu is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Although the optimal setup would be with a set of monitors, you can make your headphones somewhat more like speakers by using certain software. I use Goodhertz Canopener to get crossfeed through my headphones. Adding crossfeed is a small change but I think it really does make it "feel better" to produce on headphones.

Not sure if it's just placebo lol
mcuhsaircu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #432
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 21010

Very good info about the crossfeed. I'll have to try that out sometime.

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #433
vo1k1
Regular Freak
vo1k1 will become famous soon enoughvo1k1 will become famous soon enough
Chicago
MC Status: 109

I’ve been using Toneboosters Morphit on the main bus when I’m using headphones. It is not a substitute for good studio monitors, but I use the eq curve matching to reduce fatigue over long listening periods, or to better match good headphones to studio monitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
vo1k1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #434
Mea Thrills
IDMf's latest spammer
Mea Thrills is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Sennheiser HD 650's work great in the production for me.
Mea Thrills is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #435
afterhours
IDMf's latest spammer
afterhours will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I like Sony and Pioneer
afterhours is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #436
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269487308
Thanked 3,274 Times in 2,149 Posts

I swear by AKG, K171 for production, K702 for mixing

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #437
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8590080
Thanked 7,983 Times in 5,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I swear by AKG, K171 for production, K70 for mixing

AKG anything really. Live and die by my 702s, still use my 240s as well. Will have to look into these others.

I thought spending $300 on headphones would end up being a mistake, but I took the dive. For just listening to music, I actually prefer the sound of cheaper headphones (I've had a pair of Sony MDR V-150s for ever, and have what ever the newer version is as well). But when I actually need to hear, listen and think critically about frequencies of different elements interacting, I need something like my 702s.

I also really prefer open back, not sure if they are supposed to be better or worse than closed back for mixing (according to the internet snob gurus), but for me open headphones make the sounds exist in real space--they don't just blast it directly into your ear holes.

Also AKG have easily replaceable cords.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #438
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269487308
Thanked 3,274 Times in 2,149 Posts

Edited: I actually meant K171 and K702.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #439
HalfTrek
Analog Lurker
HalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2060

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I also really prefer open back, not sure if they are supposed to be better or worse than closed back for mixing (according to the internet snob gurus), but for me open headphones make the sounds exist in real space--they don't just blast it directly into your ear holes.

Better, at least according to said internet headphone snobs. Forgot why though. I have some cheap knockoff of an open AKG headphone, which should be decent according to some internet headphone forum. Internet forums, ha

But I hardly use them anyway, monitor speakers will do fine.
HalfTrek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #440
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 38460

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post

Also AKG have easily replaceable cords.
Open back should be better because closed back will reflect some of the frequencies from the inside of the shell back onto the back side of the driver. That's what messes with your spacial perception among other things. There are exceptions of course, but they're all going to make some sort of compromise to get where they're going with a closed design. I have three sets of open headphones and one set of closed. I almost always use the open ones for mixing and find that as long as I keep my bass clean, it sounds like I want it to on my closed ones.

Advertisements

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote