ADD and music - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #41
RottenToTheGore
Minor Glitch
RottenToTheGore has a spectacular aura aboutRottenToTheGore has a spectacular aura about
Maryland
MC Status: 161
Re: ADD and music

Yet another ADD'er here. Diagnosed when I was...15? (12 years ago). Definately found improvement when medicated, but was always paranoid of OD'ing or something on speed.

Took a few years off and on using adderall, doing pretty bad without it, but just coasting through.

About a year or two ago I decided to really look into it and see what I could do, researched alot, read a few books, really understood more about it and went back on medication. One thing I always found interesting is that I've always felt lazy in everything I do, but in my mind, things are going a freaking mile a minute.

I've never been able to put pen to paper, brush to canvas, whatever you want to call it when it comes to creative things, even with music I haven't done much at all. But inside my head, I've got all sorts of ideas buzzing around, especially for music!

So I'm going to keep working on learning how to work with ADD more because I know I can do great once I'm able to work with it better.

End rant, sorry

Advertisements

RottenToTheGore is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #42
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

Maybe I'm weird, but I think add is something completely natural and the fact that people think we have to " fix" it is rather sad.

You'd probably have nearly as many responses if you asked about bipolar disorder and music.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #43
jtregoat
Soundscaper
jtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MC
New York City
MC Status: 3115731

i've been diagnosed with ADD for a few years now. it's weird to think of it like this..it's also crazy how i just kind of zone in on things. at the same time, it's frustrating not being able to focus in school because i just don't give a shit about what they're teaching
jtregoat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #44
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname View Post
Maybe I'm weird, but I think add is something completely natural and the fact that people think we have to " fix" it is rather sad.

You'd probably have nearly as many responses if you asked about bipolar disorder and music.
^^ This, so much. I was going to bring it up myself but I see no point in repeating what has already been said.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #45
redblackwhite
Radial Developer
redblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improve
MC Status: -100230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname View Post

I see your point as someone with strong add

dont forget there are multiple ways of 'fixing' add
medications and therapy. many people actually have add but have figured out lifestyles/daily choices that cope well and keep them functional.
so i respectfully disagree with your statement that it's wrong to fix it (i feel somewhere in the middle)
i have a very strong case and need to take medications. it doesn't change my though processes it just allows me to control them. before i'd literally not be able to stay on the subject i was doing for any time. anything happens or someone walks by and im toast. i start maybe 30 things in a day and leave them all two steps in. now i can actively control what i am doing. although i do understand that the medications i take are serious, but it makes me so much happier to be in control of my actions/thoughts and be able to finish things. It's very frusterating to be doing something and then realize you were doing something completely different only 30 minutes ago and that other thing was far more important to you/what you wanted to finish.

my 2c
redblackwhite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #46
Starspawn
Regular Freak
Starspawn is currently spamming hard
Oslo
MC Status: 10

Lets see, I kinda got a few points to cover ...

Talked my way into the diagnosis last year, have known it fits me since forever.
But I have strong misgivings of the whole affair.

Main one being victimizing oneself.

Think of the criteria, theyre just words ... reinterpret them.

1: Youre fast! Theres certainly problems with complicated tasks, but simple ones? Youre the man!
2: Distraction makes you intelligent. How many viewpoints can you handle compared to others? Lots!
Combine with conscious selection, rolemodels and thinkers that fit you.
3: Workflow. Once you get immersed in a creative task, others will be left standing and gaping.

Thats not to say theres serious problems that can arise from slacking, from comparing oneself to other personality types, trying to do things like others, believing they know your interests better than yourself.

And the drugs are shit.
Taking stimulants is begging for paranoia, and the other chemicals fuck your feelings up.

So yeah, theres problems, like anyone not fitting the mold youll have to stand up for yourself AND take responsibility as well.

But music, art, these are your domains
You may be more likely to become the wild creative part of a group rather than the bandmaster, and so what?
In these communities theres schizophrenics, bipolar people, broken people, silly people, etc etc
And they function well. Or as well as can be expected, still far beyond the probable outcome out in the "real world"

Guess this was a embrace it, deal with it, get your head out of your arse and look at the world, type of speech.

Anyway, since simplicity is the only language theres time for in discussions and forums:
Engage the world whenever you can, and dont let a few letters hinder you.

EDIT:
Finally, to illustrate my point.

If you have ADD, got this far, along the way thinking: Bullshit, coverup, lie, bullshit.
GOOD! Thats your strength.
Do you really think everyone can do that? Most will go Oooooooh! Shiny!
A significant factor of this is intimate knowledge of how creativity works, how people apply it, not only in projects but in everyday life.
Because its an unavoidable part of your life.
Makes you no more RIGHT than anyone else, but you do have uncommon strengths.

Good luck

Last edited by Starspawn; 26-08-2011 at 08:26 AM..
Starspawn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #47
redblackwhite
Radial Developer
redblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn View Post
Lets see, I kinda got a few points to cover ...

Talked my way into the diagnosis last year, have known it fits me since forever.
But I have strong misgivings of the whole affair.

Main one being victimizing oneself.

Think of the criteria, theyre just words ... reinterpret them.

1: Youre fast! Theres certainly problems with complicated tasks, but simple ones? Youre the man!
2: Distraction makes you intelligent. How many viewpoints can you handle compared to others? Lots!
Combine with conscious selection, rolemodels and thinkers that fit you.
3: Workflow. Once you get immersed in a creative task, others will be left standing and gaping.

Thats not to say theres serious problems that can arise from slacking, from comparing oneself to other personality types, trying to do things like others, believing they know your interests better than yourself.

And the drugs are shit.
Taking stimulants is begging for paranoia, and the other chemicals fuck your feelings up.
No offense but I don't think you have add if that's what your life is like! Haha or at least anywhere near as strong as I do
For me simple tasks are hard to complete because I can't stay focused on them. Intense ones are hit and miss depending on my interest in them (an add phenomenon called superfocus is the reason behind it)

Drugs- it's been shown that methylphenidate (ritalin, which essentially is pharmaceutical cocaine) calms people with add, and makes non add patients hyper. Of course, some add patients don't like the way it makes them feel, but the drug increases frontal lobe activity, which in sever cases is what the patient lacks. The frontal lobe is in charge of immediate tasks, consciousnesses, decision making etc all of which are related to add symptoms.

I thought my creativity would be hindered by taking drugs, but the opposite was true. Instead of just having a barrage of ideas bouncing around (none were staying long enough to grab ahold and extract) I could use the regular ideas I had and just expand them and finish something. Besides, there are hours in the day where you aren't medicated so you can see the difference...
Old 27-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #48
Starspawn
Regular Freak
Starspawn is currently spamming hard
Oslo

Thats the bullshit part
Like any good motivation speach I took a wide detour around the obvious problems.

How about this then:

Cheer up mate!
Starspawn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Bo Hansson
Old 27-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #49
redblackwhite
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn View Post
Thats the bullshit part
Like any good motivation speach I took a wide detour around the obvious problems.

How about this then:

Cheer up mate!
haha i am plenty cheerful, im 'coked' out on ritalin :banana:
i like my meds if you dont thats ok too
Old 27-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #50
wausz
Minor Glitch
wausz is currently spamming hard
Rotterdam

That's true, but i also found out when i take ritalin my music sounds better then without the drugs. So when i'm listening to my track a few days later, it most often sounds bad instead of making the track in a normal state of mind (chaos mode).

------------------

And remember: Sky Is The Limit!
wausz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #51
redblackwhite
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wausz View Post
That's true, but i also found out when i take ritalin my music sounds better then without the drugs. So when i'm listening to my track a few days later, it most often sounds bad instead of making the track in a normal state of mind (chaos mode).
I found the exact same thing and got bummed out, then I listened to music of other artists and I liked them more too . So then I felt ok about it.
Old 29-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #52
Ghost Snake
Granular Poster
Ghost Snake is a savage MCGhost Snake is a savage MCGhost Snake is a savage MCGhost Snake is a savage MCGhost Snake is a savage MCGhost Snake is a savage MCGhost Snake is a savage MCGhost Snake is a savage MCGhost Snake is a savage MCGhost Snake is a savage MCGhost Snake is a savage MC
Italy
MC Status: 125448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Main problem is frantic goal shifting. I've lived in 22 different places in the last 15 years including jumps from Spain to England and Scotland back and forth several times (they should call me by first name at the Calais-Dover ferry).
With music, yeah I see your point, I can get obsessively interested in some technology or other, read the manuals line by line all the way through like I'm reading a novel, but then... the goal shifts again and I don't want to hear about that ever again... and so forth...
I've made music since I was a kid in the mid 80's, but I've never kept the interest in any specific subject long enough to achieve anything worth it. And that, to me, is disastrous.
GOAL SHIFTING Man,I have exactly the same problem,when I stop and think about it it's scary.Every 2-3 days (sometimes even overnight) my goals shift.I started with playing guitar when i was 13 (26 now) and i studied it in a super-compulsive way (playing for entire afternoons and even after dinner)then after some years I got bored of it and decided i was a bass player and started playing bass sometimes until dawn. Then i started with electronic music for a couple of years.Then i started taking piano lessons.Then i decided i had to be a singer and started taking singing lessons. Now all these "passions"shift like a wheel,sometimes I manage to keep one for max.a week,one or twice I even managed to make a mini-album / ep. Do you think I suffer from ADD or something similar ? I'm going to get my brains checked anyway,'cause it's getting unbearable now

------------------
Ghost Snake is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 05:09 AM   #53
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
rewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MC
Sacramento, CA
MC Status: 21834366

I've never been diagnosed but I have a lot of the symptoms
I used to take adderall for studying or recreational...having a shitload of that in my system turned me into a producing powerhouse, I'd keep going for hours and hours and everything just came together so easily

However, there is an extreme crash (particularly after a day or so without sleep) and then the shitty feelings, paranoia and visual/auditory twitches are far worse than the high that preceded it

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbledecker View Post
Rewriter's advice on listening to the track in the car is sage and godly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
rewriter made me cry once when i was drunk lol
rewriter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #54
Siens
Regular Freak
Siens will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

How many people with ADD does it take to change a lightbulb?

Wanna go ride a bike?
Siens is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #55
Silver
Radial Developer
Silver is currently spamming hard
VanCity

hey peeps,

I was diagnosed with having ADD in grade one (am 23 now) not until just recently have I been interested in really getting a handle on it.

For the past year Ive been getting into this frustrating funk every time I make music electronically.
I start my track, get into making the patches drums ex.. and that seems to go well, but soon after I start the music writhing part it gradually starts to go down hill. I get side tracked with EVERYTHING it seems. Im putting a line down and I notice it sounds stupid and ammeter so I go back and try making it bigger, harsher whatever. That takes a million years to do and then i'm back to composing and I notice I need some more glitch samples, making the kit takes sooo long, so on and so on then 3 hours go by and I have 42 seconds of a track. (not an over exaggeration)

Getting side tracked and becoming overwhelmed with all the ways I could go about getting my sound is hurting my workflow BIG TIME and thus giving me so much stress that I've started subconsciously avoiding making music!

Does anyone have any sort of workflow organization info, pdf book they know of? anything you think that can help me I'm open to.
I gotta put a stop to this asap!

Thank you.
Silver is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #56
steffensen
Regular Freak
steffensen has a reputation beyond reputesteffensen has a reputation beyond reputesteffensen has a reputation beyond reputesteffensen has a reputation beyond reputesteffensen has a reputation beyond reputesteffensen has a reputation beyond reputesteffensen has a reputation beyond reputesteffensen has a reputation beyond reputesteffensen has a reputation beyond reputesteffensen has a reputation beyond reputesteffensen has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
hey peeps,

I was diagnosed with having ADD in grade one (am 23 now) not until just recently have I been interested in really getting a handle on it.

For the past year Ive been getting into this frustrating funk every time I make music electronically.
I start my track, get into making the patches drums ex.. and that seems to go well, but soon after I start the music writhing part it gradually starts to go down hill. I get side tracked with EVERYTHING it seems. Im putting a line down and I notice it sounds stupid and ammeter so I go back and try making it bigger, harsher whatever. That takes a million years to do and then i'm back to composing and I notice I need some more glitch samples, making the kit takes sooo long, so on and so on then 3 hours go by and I have 42 seconds of a track. (not an over exaggeration)

Getting side tracked and becoming overwhelmed with all the ways I could go about getting my sound is hurting my workflow BIG TIME and thus giving me so much stress that I've started subconsciously avoiding making music!

Does anyone have any sort of workflow organization info, pdf book they know of? anything you think that can help me I'm open to.
I gotta put a stop to this asap!

Thank you.
OMG. This is me. I thought i was alone in the world having this, until i found this thread.
Havent been making music for 3 years, since it all got so bad. Desperately trying to change my approach and view on things, must be a way!

Some things that helps me, is to limit myself real hard, to only a narrow choice of effects/synths/samples, and do things in stages. Like, dont even bother with effects until i have some groove going already, and also to make synthpatches one day, and music the other. Its still hard to stay away from the knobbing-endlessly mode, but this helps.
Ive only just started doing it like this, but i can already feel its working.
Also, dont worry if the sounds ure using, and the whole sound have been done before, you will always learn something, that might make your next track a killer. (easier said than done tho!)

Last night i spent 3 hours trying to replicate a waveform from a sample. Didnt make me feel any good that i only got halfway, and i know my synths inside out, since 15 years back.

Forget the world, and lock yourself inside your little room (whats outside? you dont know, uve never been there.), have fun and create those beats completely dry. Trust you gut, dont get hung up with all the do's and don'ts.

(trying to follow this myself)

We are not alone!
steffensen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #57
toadeater
Minor Glitch
toadeater is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffensen View Post
Some things that helps me, is to limit myself real hard, to only a narrow choice of effects/synths/samples, and do things in stages. Like, dont even bother with effects until i have some groove going already, and also to make synthpatches one day, and music the other. Its still hard to stay away from the knobbing-endlessly mode, but this helps.
Ive only just started doing it like this, but i can already feel its working
Yeah, for me it happened involuntarily when I lost the use of my desktop. I was stuck with a crappy laptop, so all I could do was run crap on it. But I decided I'd make the best of that crap. Surprisingly I got more done that way than with all the countless options of my fully-loaded DAW. At least as far as getting grooves going. It's like working with retro equipment, just the basics. When I had my desktop I'd always get caught up in tweaking and revising, now I've learned how to keep things simple and stay focused.

It also helps to have things prepared in advance so that when you want to write a part you don't have to do anything except record. You should have some sounds prepared in advanced (at least a drum kit), and a template (some basic effects buses, etc.). Stay focused on ideas rather than sounds. When you want to experiment do that in another template, not in the song you're trying to finish. If you get new ideas record them to other templates, don't revise older ideas endlessly.
toadeater is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 01:27 AM   #58
Silver
Radial Developer
VanCity

Wow, Yeah guys. I've started saving my drum kits in the esx24, man that thing is great!
Along with setting up my sound design one day and actually writhing the music the next. lifting lots of stress off me.
I give my self a bunch of preset synths and only 2 that have no preset that I only allow my self to build one sound on each if I need something ells.

I've just started this and it seems to be going well.

Another thing I do is try and be conscious of flow, if I find my self stuck on something for 30 min I'll stop make a note of it and move on to the next thing.

I still find getting over whelmed is easy, but thats the case for most things when you have ADD.
Old 27-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #59
shiggedyshwa
Microknight
shiggedyshwa is a savage MCshiggedyshwa is a savage MCshiggedyshwa is a savage MCshiggedyshwa is a savage MCshiggedyshwa is a savage MCshiggedyshwa is a savage MCshiggedyshwa is a savage MCshiggedyshwa is a savage MCshiggedyshwa is a savage MCshiggedyshwa is a savage MCshiggedyshwa is a savage MC
MC Status: 309671

I love vivance

------------------
"I think you actually manipulate people with music, and that is definitely what we are trying to do." - Mike Sandison
soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/ianpluplu/
Music and Production Blog: http://pluplupluplu.blogspot.com
What I'm listening to: http://last.fm/user/shiggedyshwa
shiggedyshwa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #60
Silver
Radial Developer
VanCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggedyshwa View Post
I love vivance
Why?
Is it different than other a.d.d. stimulants?

I've never had anything besides Concerta and one other fast acting drug (can't remember name) before.
It does help me concentrate on boring stuff better, but I can still get side tracked and it only works for about 4 hrs and during that time Its hard to eat anything. I force my self to eat something most of the time but some times I forget and my blood sugar plummets, then its 6 hours of feeling stale and down in spirits, like drinking to much coffee and burning out.

YUK!

LEARN about your disorder!!

It Helps SO MUCH, just understanding what your brain is prone to doing and not doing is a big help in dealing with life. It helped me so much in my everyday stuff. I can strategize with MAX efficiency most of the time with the knowledge I have now.

If your not into all the group help crap just learn about the Biology and psychology of it.

I'm not telling you to stop taking drugs, if they work the best for you then keep it up.
In most of my experience though people hate the drugs. The ones who start just eating the right stuff are happiest. The right food makes impulsivity almost completely gone.

Just remember the drugs are just a bandage, they don't cure it, they just take away some of the symptoms for a short time and they cost money. Only you can find the real solution to your add.

If you want to learn and talk to others with add try [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Its pretty good but just google anything on add and you'll find tones.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Also if your in the States or Canada try looking into CHADD. They got meet ups and tones of helpful info on add.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

%20 of all inmates in Canada and the US, after being tested, were diagnosed with add or adhd.
people need to get educated on this stuff.

Advertisements