Off The Grid - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:19 AM   #41
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts
Re: Off The Grid

I actually prefer quantised music, just at a higher/smaller increment... like at 1/64th or 1/32ndresolution instead of quarters or 8ths.

But back when I had an all hardware DAW, I used to jam overdubs over my sequencer/drum machines. And one fun thing would be to play along to the beat and then pause the beat while doing freeform gridless solos. Technically they would still be in time somewhat... I'd tray to make sure every measure was on beat, but I might do fluttering type of sounds. And then right before it got outta control, I'd resume the quantized rhyhtms and go back to jamming over that.

It was a really cool style.

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #42
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
One thing I'm doodling with now is iZotope's Breaktweaker. It's a six track drum sequencer that allows for variable pattern lengths and speeds on each track. That way you get evolving beat patterns that change position as you loop the sequence.
With micro edits you can also modify the timing, which is akin to swing, albeit very specifically for an individual hit.
It's very easy to make a cacophony, so making something interesting will take me some time.

I wonder if anyone else has played around with it.

Andy
I've been using breaktweaker for about a year now. I love it.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #43
f r
Minor Glitch
f r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

so using the grid means to choose a certan tempo in bpm and then put layers on it following that rythm?

i never use a metronome or a grid. for every track i make i start with a melody on a piano or any other melody making instrument, and when im happy with what i played i lay a simple drum on it, not necessarily also, sometimes i add drum tracks after many other tracks. but i never felt like puting on a metronome to follow the rythm, it was always more natural to put my own rythm and then build on it. biggest problem with this is that when someone wants to remix a track of mine people usually have problems, but i just tell em to make it slower or faster to match a bpm they want..
f r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:24 AM   #44
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Lately I've been doing some grid/snap-based composing in Reaper with the grid set to 1/8T (triplets). You can get into some interesting rhythms that way when you mix it with non-triplet grid/snap settings.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
badmotor (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #45
f r
Minor Glitch
f r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikole View Post
I tend to throw away basics in establishing these sort of things and do what you doŚ I make a melody, I add a drumline, and I build from there. Sometimes that melody may be off and imperfect (especially if I record directly from my piano), but it all adds to the learning experience and the charm.
i really hope it adds to the charm

Advertisements

f r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote