How many tracks do you make per week/month/year? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

View Poll Results: On average, how many tracks are you making?
1 a day 7 7.22%
1 a week 29 29.90%
1 a month 49 50.52%
1 a year 5 5.15%
Hardly ever 7 7.22%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #81
Vescor
Granular Poster
Vescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of light
Earth
MC Status: 460
Re: How many tracks do you make per week/month/year?

Hmm. Reading this threads been a big eye opener for me, I thought I was working pretty slow.

Usually I start about 20 tracks a week, which are usually either an almost done, fully mixed down track or an 8 bar breakdown/intro/drop/etc.

So since I started (early April) I've finished/mastered maybe 30 tracks (the more recent ones are obviously better), so about 3 or so tracks a month.

Also: I often combine parts of one WIP with another (usually the drop from one with the intro/break from another) so I'm not sure how exactly that plays in.

Regardless,

- V

Advertisements

Vescor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #82
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC
MC Status: 30760

If making that many improve your song writing/composition/arrangement/production skills etc then go for it.

------------------
** UTTERLY FECKIN' BRILLIANT TUNE **
https://soundcloud.com/windfallen/kernow

coming soon on my label ....I wish
Yzarc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #83
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown
MC Status: 2147483647

Dunno how you can make a track a day, on the past few projects I've been working on it took me 45min-1h30 minimum (then there's like finetuning) to complete each individual bass... In a day I roughly have all the sounds I want in my song done and like a main idea. When I finish the project I've used like 25% more of those original sounds and made 15+ along the way :/

------------------
Mizuchi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 02:55 AM   #84
floydianslip
Radial Developer
floydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiSho View Post
My longest track - at 30minutes - took a day. One of my shorter tracks - 3-4minutes - was pissing me off for couple months.

Really depends on the process and how I'm feeling.
I agree, I think the time that it takes to make a track varies depending on the track, if you are experiencing writer's block, and where you are in you're life (maybe you're super busy and can only do music stuff for an hour a day, or maybe music is your entire life and you spend 13 hrs a day on it, depends on the person), as well as a lot of other factors that affect the creative process.
floydianslip is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 03:16 AM   #85
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357173

Ive thought about this thread a lot, I think I've given more than one answer but I think it was more relevant to how I made music several years ago..

I think everyone can have this period where they just pump out one song after another..when I first started making music with computer software (tracker programs and chip-tunes it was the year 2000 or 01') I remember I organized the songs I made numerically and went from 001 to 1000 by 2005 or 2006. Sorry it's a little fuzzy.

After I got to 1000 though I changed a lot of the methods that I used because through the course of that I found that a lot of practices didn't really work, or promote artistic growth or something. There is something to be learned about being able to actually summon your talent and make a tune, but if you force yourself to do it by the numbers and on a regular basis like that you force yourself into very predictable routines and patterns that can often get more pronounced without you, the artist, realizing it..

Anyways, the way that I do it now works more like this..I don't work on anything most of the time and then for 2 or 3 months I'm immensely focused on writing songs..You have to be able to seperate yourself from it like that, though. So that you can see what you're doing.

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #86
Vescor
Granular Poster
Vescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of light
Earth
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscion View Post
Ive thought about this thread a lot, I think I've given more than one answer but I think it was more relevant to how I made music several years ago..

I think everyone can have this period where they just pump out one song after another..when I first started making music with computer software (tracker programs and chip-tunes it was the year 2000 or 01') I remember I organized the songs I made numerically and went from 001 to 1000 by 2005 or 2006. Sorry it's a little fuzzy.

After I got to 1000 though I changed a lot of the methods that I used because through the course of that I found that a lot of practices didn't really work, or promote artistic growth or something. There is something to be learned about being able to actually summon your talent and make a tune, but if you force yourself to do it by the numbers and on a regular basis like that you force yourself into very predictable routines and patterns that can often get more pronounced without you, the artist, realizing it..

Anyways, the way that I do it now works more like this..I don't work on anything most of the time and then for 2 or 3 months I'm immensely focused on writing songs..You have to be able to seperate yourself from it like that, though. So that you can see what you're doing.
Geez, 1000? Some people don't even make that in a lifetime. Any chance you could throw a few up and link it?

------------------
My most recent track:
-

-
Vescor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Harvey McKay - Lost
Old 13-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #87
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vescor View Post
Geez, 1000? Some people don't even make that in a lifetime. Any chance you could throw a few up and link it?
Yeah I was planning on doing this..I still make music but I feel like there's a lot of History missing just looking at what Ive released since 2008

I uploaded some of it to archive a while back, when I start releasing these again I'm going to add album art and assemble it better but to give you an [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

mostly it was something along the lines of chiptunes, the modplug tracker program that I used was slightly more advanced, for the time, because it could use directx audio effects which were like a precursor to vst plugins, invented by steinberg. It was all sample based until after 1000 (I stopped counting)..

really it was a lot easier to write music with tracker programs, because they all worked in a way where you could play everything on the keyboard, like a keyboard, and record it all as you played. I wish modern DAW's could do that..

fucking piano roll bullshit..

------------------
Old 13-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #88
SpinVector
Soundscaper
SpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MC
melbs
MC Status: 6892084

You know most modern DAWs have qwerty keyboard midi devices, right?

I know for a fact ableton, cubase, logic and studio one have support for qwerty midi.

Last edited by SpinVector; 13-12-2014 at 09:04 AM..
SpinVector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #89
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

FL Studio does it too
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #90
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC
MC Status: 30760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
FL Studio does it too
Yes. When I want the note G, I press the letter K. Wonderful stuff.

------------------
** UTTERLY FECKIN' BRILLIANT TUNE **
https://soundcloud.com/windfallen/kernow

coming soon on my label ....I wish
Yzarc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #91
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
NJ

It doesn't work the same, though. There is a reason trackers were called trackers..The midi control in modern devices, even a midi controller, only works to record in real-time. And you can't select say a kick and quickly set a number to 3 or 4 and quickly tap-out the beats..it's all copy-and-paste..

------------------
Old 15-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #92
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown

Quote:
you can't select say a kick and quickly set a number to 3 or 4 and quickly tap-out the beats
That's why you have launchpads I guess

------------------
Old 15-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #93
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuchi View Post
That's why you have launchpads I guess
Or an actual drum-set..

------------------
Old 16-12-2014, 02:48 AM   #94
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Beertown

Quote:
Or an actual drum-set..
ughhh, I hate using acoustic drums in my songs unless it's "shadowing" the digital ones... and that is frankly too much effort (have to go to a studio for that... not gonna do that). And electric drum set was on my list but now I just use launchpads for that "authentic" dynamic feel when you do swings or what ever kind of funky groove. :/

------------------
Old 10-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #95
jamison
Regular Freak
jamison will become famous soon enoughjamison will become famous soon enough
Austin, Texas
MC Status: 110

I oscillate between once a month and once a week. Obviously striving for once a week, but shit it's hard.
jamison is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #96
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

Depends what I'm trying to achieve. Painting by numbers is really more a question of discipline and technical skill than creativity IMO. I made an LP length demo in one night once because someone was waiting for it. And I've had songs sit on my HD for more than a year.

Your mileage may vary, but in my experience streamlining your workflow means making a lot of definitive choices and never questioning them again.

Last edited by lebeux; 10-02-2015 at 11:32 AM..

Advertisements

lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote