How many tracks do you make per week/month/year? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

View Poll Results: On average, how many tracks are you making?
1 a day 7 7.22%
1 a week 29 29.90%
1 a month 49 50.52%
1 a year 5 5.15%
Hardly ever 7 7.22%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-04-2014, 01:42 AM   #21
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565080
Thanked 7,483 Times in 5,283 Posts
Re: How many tracks do you make per week/month/year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAudioAnimals View Post
Is the question for starting tunes or finishing them lol
Right?

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 01:46 AM   #22
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200160
Thanked 4,003 Times in 2,978 Posts

I took it to mean how many you actually start and finish..but I guess it's kind of an individual thing really.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 01:58 AM   #23
DanAudioAnimals
Granular Poster
DanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of light
London
MC Status: 460

Yeah, I used to 'finish' tunes all the time, and by finish I mean prematurely upload lol

------------------
DanAudioAnimals is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DanAudioAnimals
relic (23-04-2014)
Old 23-04-2014, 02:23 AM   #24
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Sitting on at least a dozen 16 bar efforts at the moment. Most of them have some pretty cool sounds inside but i just get discouraged while trying to arrange em into something half decent lately.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #25
5th Spear
Knob Twiddler
5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute
Cardiff
MC Status: 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAudioAnimals View Post
Is the question for starting tunes or finishing them lol
Yeh I was ideally meaning finishing a track completely. I know that people will often start tracks one month and finish months later, but my workflow currently lets me start and finish a track in a couple of days, but that doesn't mean I'm writing one every couple of days, because I have a day job that won't allow me to do that.

I've probably mentioned else where in the forum that I've picked up the habbit of starting and finishing a track relatively quickly. This means that I'm in the same 'headspace' whenever I'm producing/writing it, rather than starting with one emotion then coming back to it a month or two later when I have no clue how I was feeling then. Kinda like the people who are writing albums in a couple weeks. That's my next phase is to book a couple weeks solidly off work and plan to do that.

I haven't taken holiday for about a year or so >_<

So I'm kinda looking at how many tracks do you render/bounce out to master a... [fill gap here]?

I'm not wanting to go into the 'I don't bounce out to maser' conversation. Purely workflow/output. How many tracks would you say are 'finished'. I found this out mainly through looking in my bounce folder and it showed me this. My mastered folder is a little different some tracks weren't suggested to be mastered etc etc.

------------------
5th Spear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #26
miikesher
Granular Poster
miikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nice
Naas, Kildare
MC Status: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilitez View Post
Sitting on at least a dozen 16 bar efforts at the moment.
I'm the exact same! Constantly starting things, then coming back to find they sound like shit!
miikesher is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #27
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

I go through some really long and boring dry spells, but I always try to stay active mentally doing SOMETHING musical every couple of days. Lately I've been more productive, or at least salvaging the bits of different projects into coherent tunes has been more successful.

Back when I was at the top of my game, I made about 2 tunes per week. And this lasted for a few weeks and then would slow down for a few weeks. But those days are over. I just don't have that kind of focus or working environment.

Ironically that was back when I was living in my parents basement. They pretty much just let me work on music day and night and the acoustic isolation was good enough that I could play around or mix or master or sample or do whatever without interruptions. It was a pretty creative time actually. The room acoustics were even good too.

Living on my own now, I always got to worry about being too loud and getting kicked out of my apartment. Also, one apartment I used to live in had horrible horrible acoustics so my music making kind of suffered that whole time. Even though my gear was possibly best then.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #28
mrsouth
Analog Lurker
mrsouth has a spectacular aura aboutmrsouth has a spectacular aura about
Chicago, IL
MC Status: 160

I tend to start projects and lose interest with them. Most of the time when I come back to them, they aren't very good, but every once in a while I find a gem that I don't know why I walked away from it. I've had some long periods of writers block, but when I'm really into it and working hard, I tend to finish one to two tracks a week.
mrsouth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #29
maestro_Zach
Minor Glitch
maestro_Zach is currently spamming hard
Miami
MC Status: 10

bout tree fiddy
maestro_Zach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:26 AM   #30
fluent2332
Soundwave Mangler
fluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

I make about one or two a week.

I used to work even faster but I've since learned about the finer details of making tracks, so I pay more attention to the mix, the mastering, the EQing, etc. So, it takes longer to finish a track now. I also like to listen to a track multiple times over a few days and pick out things I missed the first few days listening.

I do finish everything I start, though. I rarely leave a track alone until it's finished, and if I do, I come back to it eventually and finish it. Takes some discipline but it's the right thing to do if you ever want to progress.
fluent2332 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #31
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

About 1 maybe 2 a year..maybe..do not really write much anymore..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #32
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Jaketed View Post
About 1 maybe 2 a year..maybe..do not really write much anymore..
Any particular reason why other than doing mix / mastering (?) for others?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:40 AM   #33
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Any particular reason why other than doing mix / mastering (?) for others?

For the most part. I have some idea tracks sitting around but nothing I would release. I like being on the other end has always felt more natural to me. I am sure I will get a few tracks of my own done here and there.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
RFJ (04-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #34
XanderBlake
Radial Developer
XanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Good to know I'm releasing at a common rate. I was worried I was releasing tracks way slower than most... Feel a bit better, I do. :3
XanderBlake is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #35
M4R71N
Granular Poster
M4R71N has a spectacular aura aboutM4R71N has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I try to stick to 1 order-unrelated track a month (my personal stuffs). After that it depends, for example i have to work on a video game soundtrack and finish it for end of august, so the three months to come will be more productive.
M4R71N is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #36
Ametrine
Granular Poster
Ametrine is a jewel in the roughAmetrine is a jewel in the roughAmetrine is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I think I average around the same as the OP. (1 or so a week).

Although those tracks are never really "finished" per se. There's no mastering done and there are still some things to do in the mix. It really depends on how I feel. I always find it harder to go back to older tracks and finish them haha.
Ametrine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #37
hedominemusic
Learning The Ropes
hedominemusic is currently spamming hard
Warsaw
MC Status: 10

I try to do 1 per month. Although i spend more time on learning, than actual producing.
If i look at my project time, i spend around 35-40 hours per track till the final master.
hedominemusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #38
Ogonen
Minor Glitch
Ogonen has much to be proud ofOgonen has much to be proud ofOgonen has much to be proud ofOgonen has much to be proud ofOgonen has much to be proud ofOgonen has much to be proud ofOgonen has much to be proud ofOgonen has much to be proud ofOgonen has much to be proud of
Stockholm
MC Status: 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332 View Post
I do finish everything I start, though. I rarely leave a track alone until it's finished, and if I do, I come back to it eventually and finish it. Takes some discipline but it's the right thing to do if you ever want to progress.
This.

I'm getting better at it, but I still pile up my hard drive with tracks that are finished to about 2/3rds. I absolutely agree that there is a lot to gain by forcing yourself to make those boring finishing touches on a song you long since grew tired of. I mean, if you never do that last polishing while making tracks that more or less suck, how do u expect to know how to apply those things when you finally have a song that u actually like?
Ogonen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Ogonen
A.M (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #39
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
Kvlt O))) makes albums in one day, true story.
Those are the self-indulgent ones d00d.

I don't make tracks every single day, but I've made over 61 albums just in the span of a year (tomorrow will be my one year mark with this alias, time flies) and that's not counting all of the compilations and shit I've been on.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
A.M (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #40
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200160
Thanked 4,003 Times in 2,978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogonen View Post
This.

I'm getting better at it, but I still pile up my hard drive with tracks that are finished to about 2/3rds. I absolutely agree that there is a lot to gain by forcing yourself to make those boring finishing touches on a song you long since grew tired of. I mean, if you never do that last polishing while making tracks that more or less suck, how do u expect to know how to apply those things when you finally have a song that u actually like?
Really solid point this, from both of you..and one everyone should at the very least try to take on board, if they want to become serious about making music. Note I said "serious"..if it's just a hobby, then sure you can get away with doing things just however you like and want..but it will do you no harm to develop the habit of finishing stuff before moving on to new work. After all, every track inspired you and excited you when you started it..so why drop it, just cause the novelty have lost is luster a little?

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Ogonen (06-05-2014)