How many tracks do you make per week/month/year?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

View Poll Results: On average, how many tracks are you making?
1 a day 7 7.22%
1 a week 29 29.90%
1 a month 49 50.52%
1 a year 5 5.15%
Hardly ever 7 7.22%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
5th Spear
Knob Twiddler
5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute
Cardiff
MC Status: 2460
How many tracks do you make per week/month/year?

I was sorting through my current folder of work today, and realised that since January I've been averaging around 4 tracks a month. For me, this is a massive achievement comparing it to how many I used to make.

I was wondering where other people are at. How many tracks do you make on average, from start to finish. Lets exclude mastering as this is done either by yourself, label or whoever you send it to.

So lets say, from starting the track to finishing you composition and being happy with the mix before the first mastering stage (exluding changes after if needed).

Gunna pop a poll up on here out of interest.

Advertisements

------------------
5th Spear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200210
Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,979 Posts
Re: How many tracks do you make per week/month/year?

I just went back and checked my drives and I've finished 95 tracks in the last 12 months..excluding remixes of works by other artists. So that's around the 7 to 8 tracks per months mark..or 2 each week on average.

If you include the remixes, then that number would go up a little..not much..to maybe 3 tracks per week.

Having said that, I went with 1 per week in the poll above, simply because some weeks I won't do anything and others I bang out a track or two in a single day...so "1 per week" is a rough guide of where I'm at right now, I guess.

Last edited by A.M; 19-04-2014 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Typos..what else?

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Alert (22-04-2014)
Old 18-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Leelius
Radial Developer
Leelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond reputeLeelius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4460

Roughly 12 per year seems like my average, although some tracks can take more than a month to make. I don't bother with mastering, I only try to focus on getting the mix as right as possible.

------------------
Leelius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Leelius
Alert (22-04-2014)
Old 18-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
5th Spear
Knob Twiddler
5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute5th Spear has a reputation beyond repute
Cardiff
MC Status: 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
I just went back and chanced my drives and I've finished 95 tracks in the last 12 months..excluding remixes of works by other artists. So that's around the 7 to 8 tracks per months mark..or 2 each week on average.

If you include the remixes, then that number would go up a little..not much..to maybe 3 tracks per week.

Having said that, I went with 1 per week in the poll above, simply because some weeks I won't do anything and others I bang out a track or two in a single day...so "1 per week" is a rough guide of where I'm at right now, I guess.
Are you doing this professionally or around your day-job etc? That's pretty impressive whichever way it is

------------------
5th Spear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
mail1234
Master of the LFO
mail1234 is a savage MCmail1234 is a savage MCmail1234 is a savage MCmail1234 is a savage MCmail1234 is a savage MCmail1234 is a savage MCmail1234 is a savage MCmail1234 is a savage MCmail1234 is a savage MCmail1234 is a savage MCmail1234 is a savage MC
MC Status: 1513190

I'll go through phases where I'll make 2 in a month one month but then go on a 6 month period where nothing happens (writer's block, busy with work/personal stuff, boredom etc) so I hover around 1 every 3 months on average

Have just finished my first in 5 months as it happens (in my sig if you fancy a listen). My gf was away for 2 weeks and I guess that let me get on with music with no distractions

------------------
mail1234 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200210
Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Spear View Post
Are you doing this professionally or around your day-job etc? That's pretty impressive whichever way it is
Yeah..more or less full-time..from around 10 in the morning until about 7 or 8 at night, sometimes longer. Keep in mind I'm based at home, so those hours are not really as long as they might lead you to think, as there's other stuff going on around me with the family..and breaks for meals, trips to the loo and everyday kind of stuff as well. But I guess you could say it full-time every day, with usually one day a week off.

As for it being impressive..thanks for that, but trust me when I say not everything I've produced is something I would release to the public..some are full "test tracks", where I'm basically seeing how some vst or effect sounds in a mix, with me playing with settings and sounds in general.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 12:55 AM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

It varies. I get into spurts of creativity for a month or so, then it's a barren desert for over a year. At best I could maybe pull off 10 songs in a year if I kept my spirits up and kicked myself in the ass.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Mister_Lister
Minor Glitch
Mister_Lister has a spectacular aura aboutMister_Lister has a spectacular aura aboutMister_Lister has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

For me it fluctuates, sometimes I will get a song done in a week. Having said that, university often gets in the way, and I don't make any full tracks for a while. The better one gets at music, the longer the tracks seem to take
Mister_Lister is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
agreth
Master of the LFO
agreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MC
Sydney
MC Status: 1465792

I just want to know if I'm the only one who never finishes anything.
agreth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
Mister_Lister
Minor Glitch
Mister_Lister has a spectacular aura aboutMister_Lister has a spectacular aura aboutMister_Lister has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreth View Post
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, you are not the only one man, I struggle too :/
Mister_Lister is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
slugvision
Knob Twiddler
slugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond repute
Tampere
MC Status: 3560

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreth View Post
You are not the only one.
[thread]When I'm productive, I might make 4 songs(or WIP's) per month and sometimes I make only one track a month.[/thread]

Last edited by slugvision; 22-04-2014 at 05:18 PM..
slugvision is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to slugvision
Alert (22-04-2014)
Old 22-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
Alert
Soundscaper
Alert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond repute
Oblivion Fringe
MC Status: 4271

About 24 a year.

:banalama:

------------------
Alert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460

It's changing all the time, but over the past year, I've probably started between 50 and 60 tracks, but I actually finished about 26. The previous year, I started about 120 tracks, and finished about 14. I couldn't tell you how many per month, because it's so all over the place haha. I'll have months where I don't really finish anything, then I'll have like a week where I finish 3 or 4 tracks, one right after the other.

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
ari1029
Regular Freak
ari1029 will become famous soon enoughari1029 will become famous soon enough
SoCal
MC Status: 110

For a pretty long time I hadn't made ANY finished tracks, and then I decided I would finish one a month regardless of how crappy it ended up, just to teach myself to finish stuff... I'm in awe of people who can just churn out multiple tracks in a week.. That's not natural!!
ari1029 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
Zero Flux
Learning The Ropes
Zero Flux will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I've never finished a track but I start one everyday almost. Then pick bits out of each or come back to them. I've around 50 saved set's with about 20 with full structure and 10 that needs cleaning. About 5 on my Soundcloud are almost done and 1 could probaly be considered finished. So, everyday almost.
Zero Flux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #16
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648618
Thanked 4,987 Times in 3,206 Posts

I'm in with the one per month crowd but this year it seems just a tad more than that being as we're in the 4th month and I've finished 5 tracks and am laying the ground for track 6.

As related to finishing tracks, over the last two years I've finished every track I've started. As such I'm of the opinion there's a piece of music in anything you begin you just have to be willing to find it. Sometimes it requires drastically changing the nature of the track via resampling / resequencing / what-have-you, but I'm a firm believer it's always waiting in there somewhere to be drawn out.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
Muse-ic (23-04-2014)
Old 23-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #17
StephenCozzone
Knob Twiddler
StephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

I've been working on one for about the past two months... Been working on an edit and a mash up tho and I have had a hard drive failure that kept me from producing for about 2 weeks.
StephenCozzone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 01:01 AM   #18
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 124610
Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,461 Posts

It depends on season, I can't do anything when there's a good weather or really hot outside, so summers are least productive. I'm currently doing one a week, start and finish(?) the same day, sometimes in two/three days. Can't work in other way.
Kvlt O))) makes albums in one day, true story.

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 01:26 AM   #19
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565530
Thanked 7,492 Times in 5,291 Posts

I have no clue...I start a ton of shit, finish only the cream of the crop. I also just noodle a lot : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 01:36 AM   #20
DanAudioAnimals
Granular Poster
DanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of light
London
MC Status: 460

Is the question for starting tunes or finishing them lol

Advertisements

------------------
DanAudioAnimals is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DanAudioAnimals
relic (23-04-2014)