Accidentally copying melodies - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 17-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #21
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts
Re: Accidentally copying melodies

I was just repeating what stem collector posted about it being clever.

My best advice would be to ignore it unless it's what amounts to a cover. I'll cite one of my own songs as an example and let you decide...

Play this song and listen to the riff @ around 0:47.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Now listen to this song and pick out the riff that sounds like mine:

It's the first one. The tone is way different and the tempo isn't the same but it's almost to the point where someone could call me out on it and I couldn't defend myself.

Advertisements

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #22
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by stem collector View Post
i thought it was kind of clever
you thought what was clever? im lost lol
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #23
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I was just repeating what stem collector posted about it being clever.

My best advice would be to ignore it unless it's what amounts to a cover. I'll cite one of my own songs as an example and let you decide...

Play this song and listen to the riff @ around 0:47.

Now listen to this song and pick out the riff that sounds like mine:

It's the first one. The tone is way different and the tempo isn't the same but it's almost to the point where someone could call me out on it and I couldn't defend myself.
Wtf this music is killing my ear drums no offense...this is death metal or something? Not my thing at all..

That riff is quite short common sounding thing tbf
Old 17-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #24
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMSay View Post
I guess any help on how to get away from this would help and be discussion worthy.
Focus on atmosphere not melody and you'll be free and clear from copying melodies because you won't have one.

There...

/thread

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
Numerical (17-02-2014)
Old 17-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #25
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

No it's Caribbean jazz-reggae. Very island-inspired. :problemofficer:
Old 17-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #26
chiptraxxx
Soundwave Mangler
chiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

Quote:
whats the song in sig copied from sounds familiar i used to listen to rave music in the 90s..im from scotland we had big raves, reseruction, fnatazia etc...
James brown is dead by la style, one sound is sampled from the original, the rest from various sample cds and my elecribe + 1 nexus preset

------------------
chiptraxxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chiptraxxx
JayMSay (17-02-2014)
Old 17-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #27
HypnoticImplant
Analog Lurker
HypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

I once copied drum patterns from Godflesh. I mean that was more or less intentional, as in terms of drum programming this is my biggest inspiration, but I copied a piece of "Regulator" by Devin Townsend and that was surprising.

------------------
HypnoticImplant is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #28
Akiak
Sample Destroyer
Akiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to behold
Napoli
MC Status: 960

Quote:
Even if it does trigger some memory of a song that exists...what is the purpose of this thread? What are you asking? Or are you asking anything? That's what I don't get about many of your threads. It seems like you say "This happens? Discuss." I'm just wondering if it's a roll-call thread again where people say yes or no and that's pretty much the info we get out if. My answer would be yes (of course). What else there is to say about it, I have not figured out quite yet.

Yes another post where I come off as slagging the OP. But really, Maybe I'm just not understanding why these threads exist, because as clever as it may be to some of you, I can't see the cleverness here. Is it an agreement thread? Yes I agree, then. But my question is, what do we get out of it other than the agreement? That one guy who doesn't have this issue? He's not here yet, apparently. BTW, I'm not trying to start an argument with anybody. But can someone at least see my point?
have to agree with you there, but here it's more like "does this happen to anyone else?"

It's actually kind of curious. I remember coming up with this melody while playing the sax over a basic chord progression, and it felt way too "perfect" to be mine. So I was pretty much convinced that I had subconsciously gotten it from somewhere else since this kind of thing happens so often to me. Turns out it actually was mine, or at least I never found the original song if it ever existed (but i doubt it).
Akiak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #29
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565180
Thanked 7,485 Times in 5,285 Posts

I once played a C note and it instantly reminded of 17,346 pop songs.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #30
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

I just think its annoying that you or I at least start a riff or melody with a few notes then as I rack my brain or just play away to come up with something it auto starts playing already known melodies with similar start.

Maybe its not a question but an interesting discussion but hey if anyone reading dont wanna discuss this topic you know what you can do
Old 17-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #31
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Go to a better thread? I kid, I kid.
Thanks to Numerical
relic (17-02-2014)
Old 17-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #32
Scottnofx142
Analog Lurker
Scottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MC
Santa Barbara, CA
MC Status: 20225

This happens to me a lot. What's really frustrating is when whatever you wrote sounds familiar, but you cannot identify what it sounds like, and neither can your friends, but they agree it sounds familiar. Then you have to decide for yourself if you are imagining things and should keep going, or should try something else.

------------------
Scottnofx142 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #33
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote:
Go to a better thread? I kid, I kid.
Or you could gouge eyes out with a spoon. Either way you'll come out a winner in this case.

I kid, I kid.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
Numerical (17-02-2014)
Old 17-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #34
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I once played a C note and it instantly reminded of 17,346 pop songs.
Hilarious!

Is it really accidental is what I want to ask. We are fine tuned to always look for patterns, and we not are always aware we are doing it. In that light what we play will be influenced by the things we listen to. It's not rocket science.

Sometimes I PURPOSEFULLY steal something I find inspiring to get me started on a new tune. I may use the key it is in, or the chords and then I make it mine.

There are only so many notes and sounds.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 01:23 AM   #35
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200160
Thanked 4,003 Times in 2,978 Posts

Quote:
That riff is quite short common sounding thing tbf
..not as common as just one note..apparently.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Numerical (18-02-2014)
Old 18-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #36
glideros
Analog Lurker
glideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

I am absolutely paranoid of unintentionally using an already-existing melody. Every time I come up with something catchy, I think it has to exist somewhere.

The thing is though, change enough notes and it no longer sounds just like something else (unless it does).
glideros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #37
N8499q Music
Learning The Ropes
N8499q Music is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

haters gonna hate
N8499q Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #38
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Naw.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, I don't want to discourage you from posting, that's not my intent. Just try to word your posts a bit more clearly, that's all I'm asking from now on.
Old 19-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #39
Bluesh1ft
Sample Destroyer
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2710

If you have a good ear and a decent memory it can really annoy YOU! I made a melody the other day and i thought it sounded familiar so I ended up rummaging through some Star Trek Movies to find the similar melody. Luckily it only had a few similar intervals but not as close as I was afraid of. I wonder sometimes as well if playing all those 8-bit games as a kid kinda fried my melodic brain. Gasp! Maybe subconsciously I am simply writing down my music memories as a kid?!
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #40
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

This happens all the time. I don't think there are many melodies/chord progressions within our western music system that haven't been played at some point during the relatively long history of western music.

In my opinion you should stop worrying and overthinking so much (after reading through some of the threads you recently started) and just make music... You are at a point where your goal should simply be getting better so it shouldn't matter if the melody you found is similar or the same as another one... And even if it's the same meldoy you could still arrange it differently and make it a completely new song

Advertisements

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to professurreal
Muse-ic (19-02-2014)