songwriting: whats your approach? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
Ni-Kulo
Soundscaper
Ni-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Re: songwriting: whats your approach?

if you got an idea, write it down as fast as you can (most important thing for any kiond of art)

because creativity comes and goes pretty undcontrolable ^.

so if you dont know how to write down a melody (notes) just sing and record it on your smartphone, so you'll remember it.

i cant tell you how many times i had an idea (or heard) a great melody/whatever walking around in Vienna, and when i got home it was gone. ^^

than its just a matter of practice, how fast you can bring the melody in your head to your DAW /midi notes.

gl ;D

Advertisements

Ni-Kulo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
bahadorQ
Granular Poster
bahadorQ is currently spamming hard
Tehran
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni-Kulo View Post
if you got an idea, write it down as fast as you can (most important thing for any kiond of art)

because creativity comes and goes pretty undcontrolable ^.
exactly,i couldnt agree more

------------------
bahadorQ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
classicaldubs
Minor Glitch
classicaldubs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Two ways I write a song...

If a good melody pops into my head, I write it down and then I can always fit the chord progression and accompaniment with it later.

If I want to write a song but a good melody does not immediately pop into my head, I create a good chord progression, then I base my melody off of the chord progression.

Everything about making a song is easy for me after I find the right melody.

Last edited by classicaldubs; 02-08-2012 at 04:41 PM..

------------------
My latest track, turned out amazing thanks to my new computer that actually works
classicaldubs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #24
I.D.E.D.
Learning The Ropes
I.D.E.D. is currently spamming hard
Orlando, FL

I may not be the best song writer, because the way I 'write' is technically asynonomous with the definition of writing...lol

I prefer to 'jam' (if you call playing with vst's and midi jamming) with my DAW first. I typically make a beat that is definitive to a specific genre and is pretty basic (this is basically just a glorified metronome), then I open up my vst's/synths and make sounds. This is the most difficult part to me because it's completely free form and, like someone else said, writer's block probably comes from poor planning. Since I rely on my creativity and intuition during this process to suddenly 'hear' something good, my songwriting at this point is completely devoid of planning.

Once I have my sounds/instruments (I'll make an average of three: Bass, Lead, and Arp), I then take what was sounding good during the last process and try to make a draft of different lines/riffs for each instrument. I tend to keep these riffs chronological, in that I make lines for intro, body(drop), and outro.

Next I develop the beat, I find better samples, roughly mix and master, create fills and variate the loops for intro, body, and outro (to match the instruments), and start to throw it all in the playlist. Next is the 2nd most difficult process...Finding the transitions. Many tracks stop at this point (not to say they are done, but that I lose interest because I'm exhausted) because this part of the process requires just as much, if not more, creative energy as in the initial process of patching my instruments.

If I complete the transitions process, I'm as good as done because all that's left is to sprinkle on the garnish and plate. I'd simply add in some extra sound effects to give deeper atmosphere or emphasize the rhythm in parts, whichever I felt needed more strength, then completely mix and master.

Like, I originally said...I don't actually write. I jam. My songwriting is probably hindered because it relies heavily on my creative energy to get anything started, but requires that same energy (after a good amounnt of energy is spent on mundane tasks) to also finish the song. I fail to finish a lot of tracks because either, a) my creative energy is not flowing for whatever reason, or b) my process of writing is flawed because it relies so much on my creativity

Whether I fail because of a or b doesn't matter to me because I know when I do actually complete a song, I am 110% satisfied with it and find myself wanting to hear it over and over. I think that's because I rely on my creativity so heavily. If the sounds are there my creative side will let me start a project and if the project has merit my creative side will let me finish the project, but if the whole is not great, my creative side won't allow me to waste energy on half of a great idea. Does that make sense?

Last edited by I.D.E.D.; 13-08-2012 at 11:54 PM..
I.D.E.D. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
macropsia
Granular Poster
macropsia is a jewel in the roughmacropsia is a jewel in the roughmacropsia is a jewel in the roughmacropsia is a jewel in the rough
Malaysia
MC Status: 310

I once watched this great video where he explains that waiting around for inspiration is a farse of an idea. If you wait around then you'll never be able to make anything out of it, all creation of art stems from spending an hour or so getting into the flow and then staying there. I stopped my production of music for 2 years because of something similar to you, my best advice is that maybe you're TRYING to make music & thinking; that is the biggest mistake to ever make in creativity, let ideas flow & commit to finishing a song no matter how crap it is. put your phone on the other end of the earth and unplug your internet until a song is done. start a song with the notion of writing something crap & see where it takes you, if you're anything like me, you're not writing because its never turning out 'good enough'.

------------------
macropsia is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
_robert
Learning The Ropes
_robert is currently spamming hard
North

Mess about in sound design for an hour or so, and once I've got a decent sounding bass or melody sound, I'll try and fit it with a progression.
Then comes beats and percussion..
Quite an arbitrary strategy, mine, but it means I produce tunes that vary in complexity.

Advertisements

_robert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote