Getting too "attached" to your work
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
suΛve
Learning The Ropes
suΛve is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Getting too "attached" to your work

Always trying to perfect your work, when it only starts to lead to frustration.

A good friend of mine and fellow producer told me to "let go" and not get so attached to my productions.

Anyone else have this issue as well?

Advertisements

suΛve is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478858
Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,054 Posts
Re: Getting too "attached" to your work

Your music will hardly be up to your standards, you will always think it can be improved.
Let go.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
cat_rancher
Analog Lurker
cat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MC
Midwest
MC Status: 655318

Same thing or something similar happens to me all the time. I'll get a little too "into" something, lose all sense of proportion and start having anxiety about how to continue. From that point on, any new note, phrase or tweak makes me think the song is in need of massive revision, and what started off as a great idea turns to dog meat from overworking it.
cat_rancher is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Kill your darlings.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
cat_rancher
Analog Lurker
cat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MCcat_rancher is a savage MC
Midwest
MC Status: 655318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Kill your darlings.
But they mah baby-luvs!
cat_rancher is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

I know. But it's still just a saying that applies to many forms of creativity.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
fluent2332
Soundwave Mangler
fluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

I approach it like this. I never sweat a piece. I get the idea out in my head and build a song very quickly, just doing the first thing that comes to mind. When I'm done building the song, I move on to the next and forget about it. Later I'll come back and maybe tweak something, but for the most part I finish it very quickly. Then I record it, move on and forget it. I get albums worth of material done this way in a very short time.

You have to understand that if you stress over a song, you will never be satisfied with it. You're actually doing more damage by poring over a song for endless hours. 99% of the time I find that my initial idea that I did quickly was the best, and further revisions don't really improve my first idea. Sometimes little tweaks do improve it, but for the most part, that first idea I get out is the best one.

Just try not to stress over one piece. They are just songs. Get your ideas out and move on.
fluent2332 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: George Marauder - The C64 Sessions
Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
FrequentC
Learning The Ropes
FrequentC is currently spamming hard
Seattle

It's hard having to waste countless hours of work on a piece, because you make one too many tweeks.
FrequentC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Jake Andrews
Regular Freak
Jake Andrews is currently spamming hard
Buffalo, NY

I spend way too much time on a song and I almost always end up trashing it because I've "overworked" it. I finally wrote a song as fast as possible and concentrated a bit more on the mix and I'm happy enough about it. I'll be posting it as soon as I'm able to make a new thread in the listening booth.

So I agree that you need to just let go!
Jake Andrews is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suΛve View Post
Anyone else have this issue as well?
I do. Completely so.

I refuse to let go.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
jVs (04-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #11
dontpanic917
Regular Freak
dontpanic917 is currently spamming hard
New York City

It should be said working through your ideas until they are finished is pretty important. Holding on to things can have a benefit, as they can come in handy later when you need inspiration, but knowing when to move on to something else can also be an important skill
dontpanic917 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #12
BassKill0r
Learning The Ropes
BassKill0r is currently spamming hard
Oklahoma

This is easily my biggest problem. Since I primarily use Ableton, I have this bad tendency to endlessly jam tweak. And if I do ever "finish" something, I critique it so hard that I kill it before bothering to let others kill it for me The bright side to all of this is that I have about 500 Live Sets for Ableton on my hard drive with a lot of ideas and diversity. So if I ever do choose to revisit them for song ideas, I do have plenty to spare.
BassKill0r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
FatPucker
Savage Mad Cunt
FatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18707383

Yeah I get attached, but it usually wears off and I let go by the time I'm starting a new tune. That's the idea though, to keep striving for perfection on the next track.

------------------
FatPucker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
.Moe.
Minor Glitch
.Moe. is currently spamming hard
BERLIN

"letting go" is not so easy when it comes to tracks... but i guess just laying a project into some folder and pick it up weeks later or combine with new ideas can help to not loose yourself in one special track. And it makes you hear it different. Don't you know that special feeling of routine-blinded "overhearing" ?

------------------
.Moe. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318139
Thanked 1,000 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
I do. Completely so.

I refuse to let go.
I have the "overthinking it" complex. Though, I may stop working on a composition, I never completely dump it. I may take an extended hiatus before opening the file again, but usually when I do, Its like creating it over again simply because I am going with a fresh approach as well as new and innovative ideas to complete it. Sometimes I will put a piece together within a few hours, and sometimes it will take months. Its all about finding the "sweet spots" in my workflow.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
Karmanistic
Knob Twiddler
Karmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MC
▌▌▌ ▌▌ ▌▌▌ ▌▌
MC Status: 617698

I agree with the 'move onto something else for awhile' idea, in fact, I will switch around from music to pictures and back, it's like a mental reboot or something
Karmanistic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
Triton64
Triton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MC
Having fun
MC Status: 22350264
Thanked 1,170 Times in 674 Posts

I won't let go... fuck that... this is not work/career/job for me, .. I can afford to be a perfectionist. But yeah, sometimes you need time away. Often all it takes is a little work in another genre to get refreshed enough to come back.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The more you keep up w the board the less you'll want the OP at the top every time you open a thread you've been following and / or active in.
Triton64 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
Koffie
Regular Freak
Koffie will become famous soon enoughKoffie will become famous soon enough
I visit N.H.
MC Status: 110

I was like that a log time ago, reworking old compositions. But I wasn't coming up with new songs, I really needed to practice experimention (that's not a word but it sounds cool though).
Koffie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
rlax
Learning The Ropes
rlax is currently spamming hard

I see it as venture into something you enjoy, learn how its made, and then apply it into your own technique

Advertisements

rlax is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote