Can anyone help me find the key, chords, or notes to this sample?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 26-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Crooks
Learning The Ropes
Crooks has a reputation beyond reputeCrooks has a reputation beyond reputeCrooks has a reputation beyond reputeCrooks has a reputation beyond reputeCrooks has a reputation beyond reputeCrooks has a reputation beyond reputeCrooks has a reputation beyond reputeCrooks has a reputation beyond reputeCrooks has a reputation beyond reputeCrooks has a reputation beyond reputeCrooks has a reputation beyond repute
Savannah, Georgia
MC Status: 3721
Can anyone help me find the key, chords, or notes to this sample?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to sample a reggae skank guitar sample into one of my songs but I'm having a lot of trouble finding the key, the chords, the notes, or anything like that. Is there an easy way of finding it? If any of you would be able to help me I'd really appreciate it!

Advertisements

Crooks is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
yan_g
Radial Developer
yan_g is just really niceyan_g is just really niceyan_g is just really niceyan_g is just really nice
MC Status: 360
Re: Can anyone help me find the key, chords, or notes to this sample?

pause the song at each chord and sing the arpeggio of the chord you hear. go up and then down. while you're going downwards, stop on the note that seems to be the root, it's just supposed to come naturally, the one that seems good *is* the good one (if we're talking about a simple chord featured in the major scale which is almost always the case in reggae). So you have your root and your arp: you have your chord!

Note that in most jamaican oldies, instruments are often out of key, and sometimes the chords and melody don't match harmonically which makes the process a little difficult.

Last edited by yan_g; 26-04-2012 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Forgot smth
yan_g is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
shinkusodaparty
Granular Poster
shinkusodaparty has a spectacular aura aboutshinkusodaparty has a spectacular aura aboutshinkusodaparty has a spectacular aura about
London
MC Status: 210

add a pitch shifter onto your track and mess around with it until it fits!

------------------
shinkusodaparty is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802573
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,192 Posts

Why not post it here and someone could have a go at working out what it is. As a bonus maybe they'd even tell you how they did it!

Advertisements

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote