Bitchin' 3rds and 4ths
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
HyperTrough
Analog Lurker
HyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MC
MC Status: 40016
Bitchin' 3rds and 4ths

Hello people,

Does anyone here actually play chords without any inversions? I find that pretty much ALL chords sound flat and lifeless, BUT, if you raise the perfect 3rd/4th by an octave or two, the chord sound really REALLY nice!

I'm just wondering if anyone doesn't do this with every single chord they play. And if they could shed some light on how they make their chord progressions sounds so nice!!!

Thanks, I'm pretty baffled by this.

Advertisements

------------------
Signatures are overated
HyperTrough is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283184
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,759 Posts
Re: Bitchin' 3rds and 4ths

i usually always start with chord, then go up 1 and down 2. works a treat.

i use my ears

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
HyperTrough
Analog Lurker
HyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MCHyperTrough is a savage MC

[QUOTE=FunkMasterBrown;877833]i usually always start with chord, then go up 1 and down 2. works a treat.

So you raise the 3rd/4th?

------------------
Signatures are overated
Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5746543

I don't know what this 3rd 4th stuff is, but I'm just starting to use chords, and even before going up and down octaves, I'm finding that taking the middle key from the chord, and going up an octave or two, is sounding pretty cool.

I'm sure there is a term or technique name, but I'm too lazy to read about chords, kind of playing/guessing stuff.

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
HyperTrough (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
HyperTrough
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx3 View Post
I don't know what this 3rd 4th stuff is, but I'm just starting to use chords, and even before going up and down octaves, I'm finding that taking the middle key from the chord, and going up an octave or two, is sounding pretty cool.

I'm sure there is a term or technique name, but I'm too lazy to read about chords, kind of playing/guessing stuff.
It's called an inversion I believe (don't quote me on that though, I'm a music theory noob). And yeah, raising the "middle" note in a standard minor/major chord is what I'm getting at And yes, it does sound pretty fucking sweet

------------------
Signatures are overated
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTrough View Post
It's called an inversion I believe (don't quote me on that though, I'm a music theory noob). And yeah, raising the "middle" note in a standard minor/major chord is what I'm getting at And yes, it does sound pretty fucking sweet
Ha, yea I saw a chord progression with inversions, it didn't look anything like that. I really need to sit down and learn chords more properly though.

------------------

Old 09-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Feral_P
Radial Developer
Feral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MC
MC Status: 967577

It's not technically an inversion, (that would be raising the bass - lowest - note of the chord to the top) just a weird 'voicing'. Not that it matters

Raising the third does sound pretty nice; it emphasises the 'quality' of the chord ie. whether it's major or minor.

Also, small thing, but there's no such thing as a perfect third
Feral_P is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Feral_P
HyperTrough (10-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
bbb
IDMf Artist
ATX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral_P View Post
It's not technically an inversion, (that would be raising the bass - lowest - note of the chord to the top) just a weird 'voicing'. Not that it matters

Raising the third does sound pretty nice; it emphasises the 'quality' of the chord ie. whether it's major or minor.

Ah sweet.

------------------

Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
HyperTrough
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral_P View Post

BAH! Wrong again! hahaha Bloody music theory is so hard. Thanks for the explanation, always wondered why raising the 3rd/4th sounded so sweet ;D

------------------
Signatures are overated
Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802573
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,192 Posts

An inversion is just a different voicing of the notes of the chord. Basically the most simple configuration of a chord is what we consider to be the main structure, and different configurations of the notes in the chord are the inversions.

Look at a simple triad chord for example:

C Major. Notes are C (root) - E (major third) - G (fifth)

First inversion (C/E): E - G - C

Second inversion (C/G): G - C - E

The voicing of a chord helps to emphasise different elements of it - whichever note you stick on the top tends to be more prominent. I wouldn't worry about this over much...if it sounds sweet to you, then just go with that.

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brn20
HyperTrough (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
PouyaDH
Granular Poster
PouyaDH will become famous soon enough
Los Angeles
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Hello people,

Does anyone here actually play chords without any inversions? I find that pretty much ALL chords sound flat and lifeless, BUT, if you raise the perfect 3rd/4th by an octave or two, the chord sound really REALLY nice!

I'm just wondering if anyone doesn't do this with every single chord they play. And if they could shed some light on how they make their chord progressions sounds so nice!!!

Thanks, I'm pretty baffled by this.
of course everyone does that my friend... and never say root triads feel cold, u could be playing 4 different chords in 8 bars n squeezing one root chord in there sounds pretty good (one thing i've learned in art is that u also can make an amazing impression out of sth so klishe or boring IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT n trust me I've seen n heared that a looooooot , be creative, dont limit urself )... back to playing, it all comes down to how you feel when playing, one chord's 1st inversion would go smoothly with some other chord's +7...I would say stop being lazy n read/practice then u'll see how ahead it will get rather than JUST EXPERIMENTING
good luck
''V''
PouyaDH is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PouyaDH
HyperTrough (12-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Son of Akira
HyperTrough (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
HyperTrough
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PouyaDH View Post
of course everyone does that my friend... and never say root triads feel cold, u could be playing 4 different chords in 8 bars n squeezing one root chord in there sounds pretty good (one thing i've learned in art is that u also can make an amazing impression out of sth so klishe or boring IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT n trust me I've seen n heared that a looooooot , be creative, dont limit urself )... back to playing, it all comes down to how you feel when playing, one chord's 1st inversion would go smoothly with some other chord's +7...I would say stop being lazy n read/practice then u'll see how ahead it will get rather than JUST EXPERIMENTING
good luck
''V''
Thanks for the insight my friend I didn't say root triads feel cold; just bland and interesting And all this isn't experimental, I've actually been researching music theory but it does get quite confusing at times. 8-notes have got a very extensive and in-depth music theory course online - for free! It's awesome!

------------------
Signatures are overated
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283184
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,759 Posts

[quote=HyperTrough;877853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
i usually always start with chord, then go up 1 and down 2. works a treat.

So you raise the 3rd/4th?
all the freekin time

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

personally 5ths are my favourite.
but yeah, augmenting/inverting a chord sounds way better than the root chord.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to gbsr
HyperTrough (13-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

Quote:
Originally Posted by PouyaDH View Post
chord's +7
also, this.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
PouyaDH
Granular Poster
PouyaDH will become famous soon enough
Los Angeles
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Thanks for the insight my friend I didn't say root triads feel cold; just bland and interesting And all this isn't experimental, I've actually been researching music theory but it does get quite confusing at times. 8-notes have got a very extensive and in-depth music theory course online - for free! It's awesome!
Gr8, don't worry it will pay off sweeeeeet @ the end, totally worth it
Good Luck mate
''V''
PouyaDH is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #18
Lito
Granular Poster
Lito has a spectacular aura aboutLito has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

perfect 5th* lollol

------------------
Lito is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #19
Ogrilla
Granular Poster
Ogrilla is a savage MCOgrilla is a savage MCOgrilla is a savage MCOgrilla is a savage MCOgrilla is a savage MCOgrilla is a savage MCOgrilla is a savage MCOgrilla is a savage MCOgrilla is a savage MCOgrilla is a savage MCOgrilla is a savage MC
MC Status: 988306

Quote:
Close! If my music theory classes serve me right along with my memory a true inversion is taking the highest note of the chord and making it into the Root, and that would be the FIRST inversion, with the 2nd being the top being moved down, along with the 2nd and so on and so forth..

for example a C Major is CEG, a C major First inversion would be a GCE, followed by the 2nd inversion which would be EGC. Its the same chord, but the order is inverse.

hope this helps

Advertisements

Ogrilla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote