Ugly transients are actually not always bad
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
Bluesh1ft
Sample Destroyer
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2710
Ugly transients are actually not always bad

I am making a song and I have this bassy synth percussion sound that is way gross if you listen to it by itself. However, in the mix so far it sounds good. I am thinking that my ears or anyone's for that matter have a threshold of when they can tell if a transient is out of tune, or unpleasant.

It makes me think what I might be missing when I sift through sounds or create sounds; what if I pass something up because it doesn't sound good at all solo? I think i might have to toggle more often between solo and mix for each sound audition.

Last edited by Bluesh1ft; 06-08-2015 at 04:07 PM..

Advertisements

Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bluesh1ft
deadmau7 (08-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: Ugly Transients Actually Not Always bad

I think that's part of the mixing process. The only problem with that is that if your instrument is ever performing solo (or near solo), it'll stick out to the listener.

You have to find a balance. If your drums sound great in the mix but ugly on their own, don't ever let them start out a song or finish it on their own. Conversely, make sure they aren't too ugly if you do want flexibility.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
deadmau7 (08-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728
Re: Ugly Transients Actually Not Always bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I think that's part of the mixing process. The only problem with that is that if your instrument is ever performing solo (or near solo), it'll stick out to the listener.
Then you just make a copy of the track and remix it so it can stand on its own.

Funny thing is when you have this mash of stuff that just sounds real cool together, then you start cleaning it up and afterwards it sounds real boring.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts
Icon3 Re: Ugly Incidental Sounds May Actually Not Always be bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesh1ft View Post
I am making a song and I have this bassy synth percussion sound that is way gross if you listen to it by itself. However, in the mix so far it sounds good. I am thinking that my ears or anyone's for that matter have a threshold of when they can tell if a transient is out of tune, or unpleasant.

It makes me think what I might be missing when I sift through sounds or create sounds; what if I pass something up because it doesn't sound good at all solo? I think i might have to toggle more often between solo and mix for each sound audition.
"transients"... I guess you mean, like incidental sounds.
most sound engineers when they talk about transients mean the usually high amplitude spikes at the beginnings of waveforms in the early milliseconds. they are the reason why peak limiters were invented; they are the peaks.

but i still understand what you mean. i'm always amazed by the sound choices tipper uses. the sounds by themselves would probably be ugly, but composed and mixed together creatively it can really turn into a masterpiece.

i guess it's liberating to know that sound design isn't everything, but maybe context is...

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
vashima (12-12-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: Ugly Incidental Sounds May Actually Not Always be bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
i guess it's liberating to know that sound design isn't everything, but maybe context is...
This.
Transients are almost always ugly on their own but lovely in the right context.

What was the question again?

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: Ugly transients are actually not always bad

That's why starting the mixing process with drums (not scratch) has the potential to fuck up your whole week.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31960

the lower something is in the mix, the more room it has for big nasty transients. Maybe seem obvious, but it is true.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #8
Yikole
Minor Glitch
Yikole has a spectacular aura aboutYikole has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

In general, ugly anything can be put to good use. It's just difficult or more niche than more melodic or general-sounding noises.

A ton of things sound terrible to me by themselves, but eh, they're almost always meant to supplement something else or possibly form a new, strange combination altogether.
Yikole is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:37 AM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
That's why starting the mixing process with drums (not scratch) has the potential to fuck up your whole week.
What's drums? Oh you mean those things you put down after you've written so,e music so bros can understand you...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
White Noise (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #10
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38947

those ugly atonal things become part of the soundscape when everything is smashed together. I like to make subtle offtone stuff going with the melodies, it creates this eerie feel if you know how to make it actually sound good with the mix, defy explore and experiment always even if you know it might sound awful.

Advertisements

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mctoast
vashima (12-12-2015)