Bridging verses and choruses
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 29-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
nqcowboy87
Regular Freak
nqcowboy87 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Bridging verses and choruses

ive been trying to muck around with a trapish song (i dont care if people call me a bandwagoner, i do this for a hobby im a metalhead at heart) with a riff i came up with on guitar. its in c major using quarter notes with a delay carring over piano chords giving it a happy sound but then when i have the verse with those brassy stabs over a sparse drum line that are the norm in trap i sort of run an e phrygian mode riff over the top giving it a dark feeling. now e phrygian from my basic music theory knowledge is basically c major scale but the root of the scale is now e giving it a dark, eastern quality. now when i try and bridge these two parts together even though i havent changed key or anything they still sound like two different songs, im new to composing on both guitar and in daws so maybe im missing something here. jack u (skrillex and diplo) song take you there has a basic chord progression of emaj, fmin, c#min, then in the trap verse it has a sort of chromatic run where it runs c, b, c, c#, b and it sounds awesome and they manage to bring those two parts together even though youd think it wouldnt sound good

Advertisements

nqcowboy87 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31960
Re: Bridging verses and choruses

there's no reason you shouldn't be able to go directly from a c major sound to an e phyrigian sound.

maybe the reason it sounds like two different songs has to do with something else? You need more than just a chord progression that looks good on paper. The way I think of a composition evolving is usually by changing an element or two while keeping other elements the same.

for instance, if you are making a big harmonic change, you might keep the same rhythmic motif, or you might keep the same contour to the melody, this way the song will still have a thread to it. So, whenever there is a change in a song, ask yourself "what am I changing and what am I keeping the same". The areas I would consider are: melody, harmony, rhythm, texture, energy level, and density. Try keeping a few the same and changing a couple.

hope this helps.
mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Crude_beats (13-01-2015)
Old 13-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
floydianslip
Radial Developer
floydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

I can't really say anything that much more than what's already been said, but I can say that maybe if you run a single-note pad through both parts of the song, it would help tie it together.

------------------
floydianslip is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqcowboy87 View Post
ive been trying to muck around with a trapish song (i dont care if people call me a bandwagoner, i do this for a hobby im a metalhead at heart) with a riff i came up with on guitar. its in c major using quarter notes with a delay carring over piano chords giving it a happy sound but then when i have the verse with those brassy stabs over a sparse drum line that are the norm in trap i sort of run an e phrygian mode riff over the top giving it a dark feeling. now e phrygian from my basic music theory knowledge is basically c major scale but the root of the scale is now e giving it a dark, eastern quality. now when i try and bridge these two parts together even though i havent changed key or anything they still sound like two different songs, im new to composing on both guitar and in daws so maybe im missing something here. jack u (skrillex and diplo) song take you there has a basic chord progression of emaj, fmin, c#min, then in the trap verse it has a sort of chromatic run where it runs c, b, c, c#, b and it sounds awesome and they manage to bring those two parts together even though youd think it wouldnt sound good
(volcano dude said this better)

This can be due to sounds being used as well as fiddling with scales and melodies.
* Introduce some sounds used in other part to prepare listener.
* Change sound design slightly on some parts to make it more coherent.

Also composition maters. just having a proper rise, breakdown, more silent part for just a few seconds can be enough to make the transition acceptable.
* Try and make a single note melody bridge with one instrument that sound good. It can be slight variation of the two themes. When the single note melody bridge sound nice try and add the other instruments in whatever mix you want them.

Advertisements

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote