Keys and Chords from Samples
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 17-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
LateNightSwagg
Soundscaper
LateNightSwagg is a savage MCLateNightSwagg is a savage MCLateNightSwagg is a savage MCLateNightSwagg is a savage MCLateNightSwagg is a savage MCLateNightSwagg is a savage MCLateNightSwagg is a savage MCLateNightSwagg is a savage MCLateNightSwagg is a savage MCLateNightSwagg is a savage MCLateNightSwagg is a savage MC
In The Land of Treble and Bass
MC Status: 843844
Keys and Chords from Samples

Hey guys so I've been trying to get my sampling skills up but ran into a consistent problem; I'm not too strong into music theory and have run into the issue of a) not knowing what key the sampled song is in, and b) not knowing the chord progressions used.

Currently I've fell in love with [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and wanted to sample it in a song but I've run into problems a and b from above. Can anyone help guide me into how I would start to figure these things out from listening to the song and what exactly is the key and chord progression of that song. Tips are welcome since I'd like to be able to start doing this with my own knowledge as well.

Advertisements

------------------
LateNightSwagg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Ivan Lins
Old 17-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts
Re: Keys and Chords from Samples

Best thing you can do is just jam it out on your instrument of choice over the original and take note of your findings, then translate it to the sampled tones. Learning your Notes, basic Key signatures, and chords is ESSENTIAL to music-writing, so I would brush up on that. :3

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710

melodyne
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
zeyoungz
Minor Glitch
zeyoungz has a spectacular aura aboutzeyoungz has a spectacular aura aboutzeyoungz has a spectacular aura about
in rouen
MC Status: 210

ablerton audio to midi
zeyoungz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565480
Thanked 7,491 Times in 5,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Shit42 View Post
Best thing you can do is just jam it out on your instrument of choice over the original and take note of your findings, then translate it to the sampled tones. Learning your Notes, basic Key signatures, and chords is ESSENTIAL to music-writing, so I would brush up on that. :3
This.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80996330
Thanked 4,122 Times in 2,676 Posts

when trying to decipher the chords from a song/sample, I go with the things that you hear the easier : bass and higher note.

Here, in the start, before he starts singing, you can clearly hear the bass makes the same two notes D# C#
then the higher notes of the arpeggios go C# B
and then there's that middle line

try to think of a chord progression as a few melodies on top of each other.

Advertisements

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote