Synthpop Origin - Germany? England?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Techno Techno Techno Techno Techno

Old 22-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310
Synthpop Origin - Germany? England?

oi, wondering from what country did Synthpop start? I believe it could have been Germany cuz of Kraftwerk's music, but became popularised in the UK...
can somebody clarify for me? thx!

Advertisements

Kozmotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts
Re: Synthpop Origin - Germany? England?

synthtopolis, obviously

ruled by his Lordship Analogious of Mididom the fourteenth he is a wise ruler when he has the proper...connections
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

The answer is quite obviously planet Earth, or Sol III. Come on gimmie a tough one.

In all honestly though I want to say that synthpop evolved from an era where the UK had kind of the resources and one of the first kind of "electronic music" studios, the [correction: BBC Radiophonic workshop dunno why I said polyphonic radio]. I'm sure people all over Europe and the UK had "futuristic" ideas of what music was going to become, and tons of work was being sent to the BBCRW from all over the area. (I was mainly interested in what the Netherlands was sending them - fantastic tape works from )

I want to say that synthpop is an era where analog synthesis was hitting it's prime and digital synthesis was coming into it's own "musique-concrete" era. Now, don't quote me on that. I'm no historian, but have looked briefly into those eras before for their tonal aesthetics.

I will say without a doubt that musical culture is something we all contribute to, it seems vain to assume that any one genre of music (or any art, or philosophy for that matter) originated in a region even though it's quite obvious some do belong to particular regions.

For instance: the divide between Traditional Western and Asian musics, is confined culturally and chronologically. However, we can't assume that someone living with traditional Asian compositional aesthetic never had thought of what "defines" traditional Western composition (or vice-versa).

I like that a lot of electronic music tends to be based more on a prediction of a time and place, rather than defining a time and place. Music is a kind of universal communication for us, where the cultural divide between words can fail, music is the language.

/liberal pansy thoughtfulness and philosophy

Last edited by PROton42; 23-12-2013 at 01:31 PM..
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

I ask for a specific country cuz I have a series made up of various EDM genres as humans, and most of their bios state that they originate from 1 nation -- a couple of characters I have only jotted down more than one country origin because they were a more worldwide type of genre (such as Eurodance, Dark Ambient, Spacesynth...)
if Synthpop is one of those kinds of genres that people in various countries have thought up their own sounds for in the same era (but all called it "synthpop" music)... then I will make him originate from both Germany & the UK (unless there are also other countries that are known for making synthpop~)
Kozmotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kozmotron
PROton42 (23-12-2013)
Old 23-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

I see! Well, in that case I will say it doesn't matter where someone is from when it comes to what music they are writing.

For story's sake I will say synthpop is more "accepted" in Europe and the UK, whereas here in Canada and more in the US it tends to be ridiculed - and tends to be darker because of that (Industial/EBM).

Yeah, if you want the characters to have an easier life as synthpop musicians, I would say you are safe putting them in the UK or Europe (like Germany or the Netherlands - HUGE electronic pop scene in Holland!)
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

yeah gary numan is from the UK

so yeah the UK
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krautrock

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote