How to collaborate?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of
The Bay
MC Status: 1010
How to collaborate?

I just started making music and when I tell people that I am working on this kind of thing, and they also work on electronic music, they almost always want to collaborate. I tried once and it was pretty awkward. We just kinda took turns watching each other doing things.

How do you collaborate with other electronic music producers? Looking for advice because I would like something more interactive, but a lot of producing music is like headphones, clicking listening over and over and correcting.

Advertisements

1=1? is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
Re: How to collaborate?

I've done both long distance and in-studio collabs. I find it best to set clear roles for each person. Until you establish a report, its going to be awkward, you just met the person! Also, I find the use of hardware synths/drum machines or MIDI controllers helpful so you can jam together. As you say, watching someone click a mouse is kinda awkward.

I'd also suggest each of you showing up to the session with some already partially worked on, this can work too.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
1=1? (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
erik mitchell
Deep Underground
erik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 300691

I've done musical chairs with a group once.

We brought in 8 laptops. We would work on the project for 15 minutes and then hop over to the next one. After 2 hours we checked them all out

The results were pretty interesting haha

------------------

Follow me: soundcloud - facebook
erik mitchell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
fletchflash
Granular Poster
fletchflash is a jewel in the roughfletchflash is a jewel in the roughfletchflash is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Interesting thread. I've always wondered the same and had the same experiance of working together. I found it really annoying, either I wasnt in control of mouse or if I was i wanted the other person to go and leave me to it!
fletchflash is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948131
Thanked 5,799 Times in 3,642 Posts

The most collaborating I've done has been with vocalists. I hate my own voice (but not necessarily my lyric writing or word placement skills) so I often get other people to sing on my tracks. Oh yeah, well I forgot...I also work with other guitar players on solos since well, I suck at those too. Luckily I know a few great soloists around the world so I have that covered.

It's mostly a matter of having something laid out and just adding to it. I've done some vocal work for other people before, and a few guitar things here and there (Auto's open genre collab song being the most recent). Just dont be the guy who has to have it his way, it's a compromise on all sides.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik mitchell View Post
I've done musical chairs with a group once.

We brought in 8 laptops. We would work on the project for 15 minutes and then hop over to the next one. After 2 hours we checked them all out

The results were pretty interesting haha
Was this @ icomputer?

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Adam201
Soundwave Mangler
Adam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant future
Canberra
MC Status: 1960

I have always wondered this myself, I wonder how different it would be to jamming with a band (which I still do). Could be fun though, I am always keen for new things.

------------------
Adam201 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

The best way is to collaborate with someone who isn't also a 'producer' (lame term, but you get what I mean).
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of
The Bay
MC Status: 1010

Yeah. I feel like it would be easier to collaborate with a band or someone who played an instrument, but the two producer thing is what I'm wondering about. I know it can work because it happens all the time
1=1? is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Sound Knight
Radial Developer
Sound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud of
Belfast
MC Status: 1410

Yeah just found this out the hard way on Wednesday night. Dance music production is a solo kinda thing with a lot of trial and error and minor corrections on looping elements. We found it especially hard to focus as we where old mates and had a lot of catching up to do lol
On the plus side my new partner in crime is in a rock band and is a sound engineer so I am learning all sorts of great things, even if it is a bit awkward......
Sound Knight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Ian Brown
Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts

I prefer trading wav files. Like one guy starts then sends them over and the other guy adds something or changes what is there. Little to no pressure to having to come up with something right then while others are waiting. I dont like working like that too much at all really. Probably because I hate pressure.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269480808
Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,079 Posts

No matter what method you choose don't forget patience and understanding. Different people have different ways and needs, understand this and you're halfway there.

Last edited by Automageddon; 04-10-2013 at 05:02 PM..

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
Muse-ic (10-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Sound Knight
Radial Developer
Sound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud of
Belfast
MC Status: 1410

Agreed, can't imagine working with someone rushing me and being pushy, would be a terrible experience.
Sound Knight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: BBC radio1
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts

Yes rushed snd pushy would be less than desirable conditions for the creative process. Most of the time I've been in situations like this though is because I do that to myself not because anyone is rushing or pushing me. It all comes from my own mind which is fueled by feelings of inadecuacy and self doubt. I tell myself I had better do something quick else whoever it is might begin to lose faith.

It all comes down to a deep and core need to be accepted, and the fallacy that says the best way to gain it is by the things I'm able to do to impress you. This makes the face to face group collaberative process for me, not only forced but also, very dishonest in nature. It's impossible for it to be just about the music when all of these other contributing factors are present.

As such, as I said before, I prefer file swaps.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

trade off getting high and working on the computer.

when one has an a-ha moment they take over the computer, or the getting high.

been there done that, now i prefer working alone or directing/guiding people who play instruments to play on my material.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #16
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42408249
Thanked 5,485 Times in 3,565 Posts

In music, I have observed that some people confuse collaboration with wanting session musicians.

Collab is ideas flowing in both directions. You want a collab, gotta let go of control. How comfortable is any mostly-solo-creator with that? Its a bit of a test for anyone. It can test patience somewhat. This doesn't just apply to music but that's the arena we're in here.

Its about compromise, its about finding what you can accept that isn't necessarily optimal in your own little world. Its about expanding your world. Its about getting it wrong, seeing someone else do what you think may be wrong...

...and doing it anyway.

Because sometimes after you're done with this or that project and when you've managed to gain some distance and objectivity you realise that its more than you could ever have achieved on your own.

That's collab.

(For the record, anyone from these forums I've done pieces with, I'm completely happy with, even if nobody else has heard or will hear it)

------------------
IDMf050: Its coming home.
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #17
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

^ I agree with that. The online route is great, unless you're both in the same room with your own computer.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #18
kju6
Granular Poster
kju6 is a jewel in the roughkju6 is a jewel in the roughkju6 is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

First you should start and then you can start ing. Feel each other out. Let one person take over for a bit and then trade off. Show off your talents to each other. This will warm you up.

Now, think about all the different things that come into play when creating music and break them down. The list seems endless . BUT there is enough to keep everyone involved and busy. It comes down to how you manage all of it (ex. time) if you want to have a successful collaboration.

Your biggest issue will be being creative together. IF you don't feel the creativity flowing then I recommend .

Sir Kju :snob:
kju6 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
erik mitchell
Deep Underground
erik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 300691

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedestroy View Post
Was this @ icomputer?
Sho nuff!

------------------

Follow me: soundcloud - facebook
erik mitchell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

I think it's easier for musicians to collab in person as you just all play an instrument/sing jump in by playing by ear. I come from a family of musicians so it is common for us to on the spur of the moment jump on the piano, someone on the guitar and someone sing when the mood hits us.

When you bring in DAWS, patches, and effects it kind of makes an in person collab less intuitive. If each person can have access to a controller, instrument then it makes it more organic. My suggestion would be to just pick any sample and jam out something and change the sample/add effects later.

I don't like sitting on a computer with other people watching me work...it's a mood killer. Plus sometimes you let annoying beats and rhythms run and you sit there thinking is this annoying to listen to over and over when you wouldn't have to do that alone.

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote