Turn it off or not?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 21-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 961 Posts
Turn it off or not?

Probably a question that's been asked at some point before and I missed it, but when you have been toying around with your gear for a while and decide it's time for a break and you intend to come back in a few hours, do you leave your rig powered on? My concern here isn't the electricity consumption, but what might be better for your gear. We are mostly talking newly manufactured analog gear and it may be a different answer for that tube compressor I have.

Any informed guidance/answers?

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #2
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 75724
Thanked 1,263 Times in 781 Posts
Re: Turn it off or not?

Well it would really depend on which gear (cheap components, defects faulty solder points) but you shouldn't have a problem from a continuous supply of electricity for any amount of time as long as dust or failing parts aren't involved. While it probably is not the answer I think you're looking for, I can say in my experience, turning hardware on and off is what wears components out after long periods of time. In fact the only machine I can think of that died, died upon start, and I'm guessing of course, but I believe it was the sudden surge on a fragile circuit.

So my short answer is no.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:51 PM   #3
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 40810

I'd leave it on, personally. I have about four computers running 24-7, all of which use the same sort of caps and resistors and ICs and transistors and whatnot as any other modern tech, audio gear included. They're made to last forever, or until you buy and new one and throw it away. The heat generated by the voltage spike of power up/power down is likely more damaging than it just sitting there idly, but even then the circuits are moderately protected from that.

The exception might be things like tubes, which have a short lifespan and are exceedingly fragile compared to their more modern counterparts (as well as being horribly more expensive). Even then, I'd worry about a lot of on/off action for the same reason as before - lighting those filaments up and then cooling them repeatedly isn't great. You know how light bulbs tend to go when you turn them on? Yeah, that initial voltage spike can be brutal to thin little wires...

In general, I'd not leave things on all the time, but I don't think there's any reason to be anal about shutting everything down because you're stepping out for a few hours here and there. In the end, I doubt it really makes much difference to the longevity of the equipment.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:56 PM   #4
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948131
Thanked 5,799 Times in 3,642 Posts

You leave 4 computers on 24/7?

Holy shit I'd hate to see your electric bill. That is, unless somehow those computers are making you money by being left on...what other purpose does having 4 computers and then adding the fact that they're never off serve?
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 12:09 AM   #5
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 40810

One is my desktop/workstation, one is a file server, one is a virtualization server, and one is this little piece of shit I use as a testbed for things I don't want on the rest of the computers. They're all designed around low power usage except the desktop, but it's major power draw comes from having a graphics card (the rest don't), and thus the usage is only bad when the card is doing stuff, which is mostly not at all since I gave up gaming.

The file server and virt host runs my home automation, my backups both local and cloud, my routing (pfSense), the wife's Plex and my music streaming, video surveillance, as well as a whole host of other crap for work and learning (lots and lots of databases, mostly). I could turn my desktop off, but I'd just turn around and turn it back on, as I use it daily. The piece of shit Optiplex probably just needs to be thrown out instead of being turned off, but I'll chalk that one up to lazy.

All in all, it probably adds $15-20/mo to my bill. Considering that I use most of those things for work at one point or another, that I write it all off on my taxes, and I'm paid stupidly well to be able to do the things I do for a living and having that stuff facilitates that ability means I'm generally ok with it. Honestly, replacing all my old CFL and tungsten bulbs with LEDs more than made up for the computers.

It's also worth noting that any computer made in the last 5-10 years has some pretty bitchin' power saving tech going on. Even serious workhorse machines can idle at low power due to things like STEP. It's not until you get into the big rackiron with dual or quad CPUs and dual 1300W PSUs and stacks of RDIMMs that power usage becomes noticeable. If you're constantly turning your computer off and it's not a) completely old as balls or b) a rack server, you can probably just leave it on and you'll not notice it.

Last edited by Artificer; 22-12-2016 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: mee spel gud
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
Numerical (22-12-2016)
Old 22-12-2016, 05:31 AM   #6
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948131
Thanked 5,799 Times in 3,642 Posts

Welp consider my question answered. You are connected, I'll say that!

I also replaced all the CFLs with LEDs in the place I'm at. Technically we have one desktop and two laptops (one's mine- hardly ever used- it's mostly for if I need it elsewhere and does not fucking keep a charge for shit...one's the wife's who really doesn't use hers all too much) so our electric usage is negligible to begin with. The AC unit in our place is the main power suckage culprit since it's always fucken 80+ around these parts.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Daff Vibes
IDMf's latest spammer
Daff Vibes is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Save, turn it off.
Daff Vibes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 01:17 AM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

If I know I'm coming back I leave it all on.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 02:31 AM   #9
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32910

I leave it on usually, until the wife tells me to turn it off.
I want to get better at time management wrt music making/ guitar playing etc.
Pomodoro technique or others seem like something i should try and implement.
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #10
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

i try to turn everything off before i save it.

makes for more consistent output, and saves all that pesky time actually finishing stuff.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
i try to turn everything off before i save it.

makes for more consistent output, and saves all that pesky time actually finishing stuff.
This is the one secret professional dance producers DON'T want you to know. Learn now for only $99.95! We will send you a complete list of the ghost producers David Guetta and Steve Akoi use when they turn off their cracked FL Studio w/o saving because hey "coke and chicks".

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Br/ainfu+ked (01-06-2018)
Old 22-12-2017, 12:29 AM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
I leave it on usually, until the wife tells me to turn it off.
I want to get better at time management wrt music making/ guitar playing etc.
Pomodoro technique or others seem like something i should try and implement.
Yeah, the lovely wife. “Is this going to continue to time away from us-time?” Then you’re made to watch something on the tube and you gotta put the phone away, otherwise it doesn’t count.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #13
afterhours
IDMf's latest spammer
afterhours will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Leave it on
afterhours is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:12 PM   #14
HalfTrek
Granular Poster
HalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860

If it was a conscious break for > 1 hour I would turn it off. But also would depend on how much gear. For me it is just one computer, some controller(s) and occasionally a synth or two. In practice, the computer is on all day. A 1 hr break where I leave the house would be a better criterium for turning it off. I think it is better for the components to turn them off if you are not using them, and power consumption. But it is not worth it for a short time.

Those breaks don't happen very often here though, a more likely scenario would be a short break that turns in to a longer break, that turns in to doing something else, that becomes a distraction..everything is on for half a day but I did not do anything
HalfTrek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #15
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534551

I always turn my gear off when I'm not using it.

I can make music in the box without powering up any of my hardware,

The guys that make me laugh are these ones on youtube making music in the box whilst they have a room full of hardware powered up behind them that they never use.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #16
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O)))
MC Status: -2147481947
Thanked 1,173 Times in 775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
The guys that make me laugh are these ones on youtube making music in the box whilst they have a room full of hardware powered up behind them that they never use.
Some people just really like to go all-out on decorating
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #17
bu.re_
Minor Glitch
bu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to behold
los angeles
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Some people just really like to go all-out on decorating
. those are some expensive-ass decorations.
i can't see owning hardware for the sake of owning it.
bu.re_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bu.re_
Vault O))) (07-06-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:39 AM   #18
KnobGobllin
Minor Glitch
KnobGobllin is a splendid one to beholdKnobGobllin is a splendid one to beholdKnobGobllin is a splendid one to beholdKnobGobllin is a splendid one to beholdKnobGobllin is a splendid one to beholdKnobGobllin is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

When taking a break for an hour or so I leave it all on.
Some gear needs to warm up properly before use. I try to keep as a rule that tube gear only does one power cycle a day. I let it warm up for 20-30 minutes before I even send any audio to it. And my mixer has pretty much been on since it was installed 5 years ago. Most gear does seem to fail at startup as someone pointed out earlier and I don't ever want to be without my mixer...
KnobGobllin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #19
azf1712
IDMf's latest spammer
azf1712 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Save all and turn in off

Advertisements

azf1712 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote