Best software for recording mixes/ legality of posting mixes
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
BB11
Regular Freak
BB11 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Best software for recording mixes/ legality of posting mixes

I am about to launch my website and thought it would be a cool idea to post a monthly mix of my favorite new tunes that are out at the time. I use Logic Pro 9 for my productions, but from my experience - the time stretching algorithms aren't the best and it can be a pain in the ass so sync tempos. I'll most likely go with Logic anyways, but if there are any great suggestions for what I'm trying to accomplish let me know.

Now on to the important issue, legality. I was planning on making these mixes available for download with track listings. I was going to do some blending/ mash ups sparingly. These are all copyrighted works, what's the deal? Assume I blow the hell up in 3 months (wishful thinking but I just want to have all bases covered). Thanks!

Advertisements

BB11 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
The Snark
Minor Glitch
The Snark is currently spamming hard
Dayton, OH
Re: Best software for recording mixes/ legality of posting mixes

The legality of posting sets has been a gray area for years.

For the most part, people consider it a "necessary evil" and don't seem to care.
The Snark is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
BB11
Regular Freak
BB11 is currently spamming hard

OK cool, that's good to know. I guess I should ask then: Is there a good website to help explain the technicalities of these set lists? For instance if you take a remix and replace the drop with your own drop, or take a remix and combine it with an acapella. I've seen things like "ID" "Re-Edit" "Remode" and would like to know exactly what I'm dealing with
BB11 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
The Snark
Minor Glitch
The Snark is currently spamming hard
Dayton, OH

There's no real "official standard" to those sorts of things, you just sort of get a feel for them over time. People do them differently, anyways.

I've heard some remixes which sounded nothing like the original, I've heard some remixes which made one or two basic changes (adding an intro, removing a breakdown) and I would consider it an edit. I've heard some "remakes" or "covers" which I would call remixes.

Now, from my personal perspective on the examples you gave:

- if you take a remix and replace the drop with your own drop
I'd call this an edit.

- take a remix and combine it with an acapella
I'd call that a mashup.

"ID" just means that the track is unknown, or the selector is unwilling/unable to share what it is. "Re-edit" is probably just a redundant way of saying "edit", heh. Remode is just a remix. Sometimes people just like to call it something else to put their own creative spin on the title. ("Respray" is another one.)
The Snark is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
Mobilio
Soundscaper
Mobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MCMobilio is a savage MC
Los Angeles
MC Status: 3997473

Logic is good but with PT 9 now taking universal AD converters like MOTU devices, PT 9 may be the way to go as far as ease of time stretching. I'm used to DP because I work with MIDI.
Mobilio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
Inofaith
Sample Destroyer
Inofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MC
MC Status: 2299606

Wait, you're suggesting of making mixes with logic?

You want to just make a dj mix right? I'd suggest something like traktor, or ableton if you want to keep it digital. Otherwise get cdjs or serato to really make a mix. /

Or do you just want to fade in and out of a selection of songs?

Advertisements

------------------
Inofaith is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote