My dog eats weird food. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42408449
Thanked 5,489 Times in 3,568 Posts
Re: My dog eats weird food.

We normally won't give our dogs anything other than what they are supposed to get. Occasional treats but mostly treats are kept as rewards for doing things (coming when called, etc). We want our woofits to live as long and healthily as possible. Beagles have a tendency if not careful to become overweight so there has been a bit of trial and error along the way.

That said, Hugo loves Stilton. Unfortuantely for him, so do I and I'm quite comfortable with not sharing. If it hits the ground it goes to the hound but otherwise, nuh uh my little floppy eared friend, this is daddeh's food.

Advertisements

------------------
IDMf050: Its coming home.
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #22
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175278290
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZioMusic View Post
Yes we have a big garden and he runs around or sleeps. And we do take him out on walks, I can't say they are regular but prob 2-3 times a week. But a we have a big garden he doesn't really need to be walked or does he?
No offence dude but at a quick judgement you really don't sound like someone who should be responsible for a husky. The garden might be enough, probably not but it might be. Most dogs are walked about three times a day, but huskies pull sleds for hours on end and need more than most other dogs. He might use up all his energy in the garden but I imagine he's pretty bored.

Who sold you this dog that you don't know the breed, the diet it should have, or the responsibilities you have as an owner?

Read this, and more.
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnicho...ng_a_husky.htm
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to deadmau7
scyn (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #23
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

If it's a Husky it needs to have more than two three walks per week. Also, the way the dog eats is not good for him. Consult a vet if you don't know how handle him/her.

Sent from my novo7Legend using Tapatalk 4 Beta

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

If he begs, tell it to go and lay down. In fact, you should,t even have the dog at the table when you eat. Two things that dog do and do well: beg for treats/food/acknowledgement and they always try to take the top spot in the pack. If you can,t handle those two things you shouldn,t have a dog.

Sent from my novo7Legend using Tapatalk 4 Beta

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #25
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC

I still can't get over the idea of not walking the dog daily to be honest. When my gran was alive she had trouble getting around and doing things and she still managed to walk her pomeranian every day.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Yes we have a big garden and he runs around or sleeps. And we do take him out on walks, I can't say they are regular but prob 2-3 times a week. But a we have a big garden he doesn't really need to be walked or does he?
'Big' is rather subjective as I've got no idea at all what the average garden looks like where you live. If you can throw a ball from one end of your garden to the other - it's not big enough for a Husky (imo) and you really do need to be walking it more often, and if not walking it, then spending time in the garden playing with it (throwing sticks / balls / wrestling etc.).

And also not some lame walk around the block - try to find a nice big open space where you can unleash the dog and it can properly stretch it's legs and run free. That might involve getting into the car and driving somewhere, but really - if you want to keep a big dog of that nature, you've gotta put in the effort.

It pains me to walk around a place like London seeing Husky's peering out from within a small home without a garden at all. People shouldn't own dogs because 'they look cool'. It doesn't make you gangsta, it makes you an inconsiderate asshole. I'm not talking about you now ZioMusic - was just having a rant .
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
lolirl (09-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #27
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim7 View Post
Who sold you this dog that you don't know the breed, the diet it should have, or the responsibilities you have as an owner?
Dunno what it's like outside the States, but most people don't know shit about how to really take care of their animals here and there are no requirements to know anything. Pet stores will sell anyone any animal they have. Maybe the most they do is hand them a three page pamphlet on care.

Animal rescues are always over crowded because people have zero clue what they are getting into. Sad thing is there are probably way more abused/improperly cared for animals than there are animals in the shelters.

There is a stupid amount of stray cats in my neighborhood, to the point that I personally feel like it'd be better to capture most of them and put them down.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator

This is probably largely irrelevant, and it might be in the states this happens, I'm not sure, but did you ever hear the thing about Corgi breeders telling new owners they're not allowed to call their dogs Ein?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #29
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
This is probably largely irrelevant, and it might be in the states this happens, I'm not sure, but did you ever hear the thing about Corgi breeders telling new owners they're not allowed to call their dogs Ein?
I've never heard that nor do I understand it, lol. It wouldn't surprise me. People get weird about dogs here. Especially those shrill barking small breeds that snap at children...

So what's up with that?

------------------
Old 08-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #30
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator

People want to name their corgis Ein after the dog from Cowboy Bebop. Apparently it's a common thing. I've read online, people understanding the point, and people being like "fuck those breeders, u cant tell us wat to call are dogs" but I guess the (fair) point from the breeders' perspectives is that you want the dog to be loved and cared for for the life that it is rather than to enjoy the novelty of having your very own "Ein".

Someone asked me, jokingly, if dachschunds weren't allowed to be called -some American brand of hot dogs, I forget, I had to look it up at the time but it was actually pretty funny- and someone else chimed in with some nonsense about other animals as pets not being allowed to be named after other famous animals, a collie called Lassie etc etc but I guess the (irrelevant) point is that there must have been a whole trend of it.

Loads of people have huskies now. I don't know if they're just a more common dog to own nowadays or if I just notice more now since I first noticed, if that makes sense, but a lot of people have them.
Thanks to deadmau7
relic (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #31
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
People want to name their corgis Ein after the dog from Cowboy Bebop. Apparently it's a common thing. I've read online, people understanding the point, and people being like "fuck those breeders, u cant tell us wat to call are dogs" but I guess the (fair) point from the breeders' perspectives is that you want the dog to be loved and cared for for the life that it is rather than to enjoy the novelty of having your very own "Ein".

Someone asked me, jokingly, if dachschunds weren't allowed to be called -some American brand of hot dogs, I forget, I had to look it up at the time but it was actually pretty funny- and someone else chimed in with some nonsense about other animals as pets not being allowed to be named after other famous animals, a collie called Lassie etc etc but I guess the (irrelevant) point is that there must have been a whole trend of it.

Loads of people have huskies now. I don't know if they're just a more common dog to own nowadays or if I just notice more now since I first noticed, if that makes sense, but a lot of people have them.
Oh. Ok. I was never much into anime/manga. Oscar Myer Wieners is probably what you are thinking of.

But yea. We have a problem with bull dogs where I live, people think it makes them gangsta or some shit. So the shelters end up with a bunch of either aggressive or otherwise socially awkward bull dogs no one wants because they were either physically abused in the hopes of making them "tough" or generally mistreated. Fucking ghetto smurf assholes...

But yea...the whole pet as novelty item or pet as fashion accessory is getting out of hand!

------------------
Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #32
ZioMusic
Granular Poster
ZioMusic is a jewel in the roughZioMusic is a jewel in the roughZioMusic is a jewel in the rough
Sweden, Bastad
MC Status: 260

Thanks for all the responses guys. I maybe should have been more specific before but I'll try to explain pretty much everything now then. First of all, it's not really MY dog as it's my dads and I don't visit him that much since I live pretty far awway. But I've been here for like 2 months now and I've seen how he lives and stuff. And by the way, it's a malimute not a hutsky, even though they are pretty much the same thing. About the garden, yes you can throw a ball from one side to the other, but I play with him fairly often. But you might be right it might not be enough even if I think it's alot. And when I'm not around he might barely get excersise at all which after reading all this I feel pretty bad for him. But I'll talk to my dad and make sure he understands that he needs alot more excercise and that he tries to walk him at least twice a day.
---------------------------
Zio - Sapphire (Preview) OUT JULY 23rd!

ZioMusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ZioMusic
deadmau7 (09-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #33
mookster
peripheral being
mookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MC
The Moon
MC Status: 232876053
Thanked 1,199 Times in 793 Posts

My Dachshund has taken a serious liking to raw Swede and other raw vegetables, but mainly Swede...weird creature.

------------------
mookster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #34
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys. I maybe should have been more specific before but I'll try to explain pretty much everything now then. First of all, it's not really MY dog as it's my dads and I don't visit him that much since I live pretty far awway. But I've been here for like 2 months now and I've seen how he lives and stuff. And by the way, it's a malimute not a hutsky, even though they are pretty much the same thing. About the garden, yes you can throw a ball from one side to the other, but I play with him fairly often. But you might be right it might not be enough even if I think it's alot. And when I'm not around he might barely get excersise at all which after reading all this I feel pretty bad for him. But I'll talk to my dad and make sure he understands that he needs alot more excercise and that he tries to walk him at least twice a day.
Yeah, you should definitely talk to him. That's probably not enough for a normal dog, and a malamute needs more, definitely.

Two other things to bear in mind;

I think it can happen anyway, but I think it's a lot more likely if the dog becomes bored and restless, but they can escape. I saw a fox jump a six foot wall a while back and thought that was impressive. The other day I saw a video of a husky (could just as easily have been a malamute, I forget) escaping over the top of a fence about 11/12 feet with ease, and another that dig it's way out underneath.

They get destructive. I tried searching another video I saw but I can't find it. Dude's home was a wreck, sofa pulled apart, couch stuffing everywhere.

Also, why did I get what I thought was your signature when I quoted your post?

(sometimes when I wake up in the morning, if I feel grouchy or unhappy I watch videos of wolves and huskies because it makes me feel happy. Occasionally I'll stray over to videos of dogs, cats, sometimes even bears, and I have watched penguin videos too. Sue me.)
Old 09-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #35
ZioMusic
Granular Poster
ZioMusic is a jewel in the roughZioMusic is a jewel in the roughZioMusic is a jewel in the rough
Sweden, Bastad

Quote:
Yeah, you should definitely talk to him. That's probably not enough for a normal dog, and a malamute needs more, definitely.

Two other things to bear in mind;

I think it can happen anyway, but I think it's a lot more likely if the dog becomes bored and restless, but they can escape. I saw a fox jump a six foot wall a while back and thought that was impressive. The other day I saw a video of a husky (could just as easily have been a malamute, I forget) escaping over the top of a fence about 11/12 feet with ease, and another that dig it's way out underneath.

They get destructive. I tried searching another video I saw but I can't find it. Dude's home was a wreck, sofa pulled apart, couch stuffing everywhere.

Also, why did I get what I thought was your signature when I quoted your post?
Well from what I'v seen he seems pretty happy and he loves my dad, well pretty much all people. Don't think he hate it so much that he would escape to be honest, we're not THAT bad too him.

Prob because I write my signature out, not really sure how to make it so it shows in everypost I write auto, or can yo even do that?
Old 09-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #36
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42408449
Thanked 5,489 Times in 3,568 Posts

Quote:
Yeh, very trendy to have one. Very few owners seem to understand what is required to take care of that kind of breed properly. In my local area there's a few that seem to do it right but most don't. Working dogs, loads of energy, need long walks every day and huge amount of area to run.

Once the fad dies down I expect there'll be a lot quietly put down, allowed to escape or ending up at rescue centers and suchlike. Some days I really despair at the stupidity of our own species.

------------------
IDMf050: Its coming home.
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #37
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator

Quote:
Well from what I'v seen he seems pretty happy and he loves my dad, well pretty much all people. Don't think he hate it so much that he would escape to be honest, we're not THAT bad too him.

Prob because I write my signature out, not really sure how to make it so it shows in everypost I write auto, or can yo even do that?
Nah man, I know. It's not about how good you are too him. I'm just saying it can happen, if they get restless they have a huge amount of energy to use up and they're good escape artists.

For the proper signature go to control panel at the top on the left and scroll down, the bar on the left next to the list of different forums has an "edit signature" option.
Thanks to deadmau7
ZioMusic (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #38
ZioMusic
Granular Poster
Sweden, Bastad

Quote:
Nah man, I know. It's not about how good you are too him. I'm just saying it can happen, if they get restless they have a huge amount of energy to use up and they're good escape artists.

For the proper signature go to control panel at the top on the left and scroll down, the bar on the left next to the list of different forums has an "edit signature" option.
Alright thanks alot!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #39
Triton64
IDMf Artist
Triton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MC
Having fun
MC Status: 22350364
Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broton42 View Post
Well, yeah. Feeding a dog when it begs at the dinner table is one of the worst things you can do.
Yup. Classic conditioning.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The more you keep up w the board the less you'll want the OP at the top every time you open a thread you've been following and / or active in.
Triton64 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #40
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160

I know many people who who absolutely refuse to let their dogs get near any chicken bones, which was strange to me because I grew up with dogs that lived for chicken, and its bones; you couldn't treat them any better way.

We regularly ate chicken so the dogs regularly got bones also, perhaps once every two weeks or even more regularly. But they only got the bigger bones like from the drumsticks and thighs. To add to this, they both lived happy healthy doggy lives and died at an average age I'd say.

The one(named Verdi, after the composer) was a Pavement Special and lived about 16 to 17 years, was a year older than me. The other was a Corgi named Sebastian(most probably after Bach) and he lived to be about 15, died a year after Verdi.

So apart from the fact that the bones might splinter, people use other excuses as well like chicken bones are bad for the dogs' bones and stomachs and what have you more, which I think is crap.

Advertisements

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Xenon
ZioMusic (10-07-2013)