The Official™ Modern Techno Bass Drum Thread
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 22-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
fraza
Soundwave Mangler
fraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to behold
Windsor/Detroit
MC Status: 897
The Official™ Modern Techno Bass Drum Thread

Now, I know you may be thinking not another 'bro, how to make my kick drum sound phat' thread! However, I wanted to reach out to the people that maybe can share some knowledge in the bass drum department. For myself, I produce techno and such a massive portion of what carries a techno track is indeed the thundering, punchy and jacking kicks.

Currently, I will typically begin with a hi quality GoldBaby 808 or 909 kick sample. Then for reference I select a track with what I think has an excellent kick and open it in Traktor. This allow me to visually see the waveform and zoom in. Now, I'm not trying to copy someone else's kick but I am just interest in seeing what proper kick waveform looks like. I compare the waveform with the hundred of kicks available in the GoldBaby pack.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

First off, I can't seem to find any similarly enveloped kicks. They usually have a massive tail or aren't condensed compact sine waves. I am assuming this is where compression comes in. What compressor setting guidelines should I be following? I'm also assuming some of these kicks use distortion but not a fuzzy bright distortion... almost distortion with a lower tone and the high end EQ'd out. What other plugins/tool could I be using to give it the condensed punch with short tail.

Another type kick I've noticed is one with reverb. Basically the low end is hovering non-stop while you can still hear the condensed kick pounding in the background. The main things I am looking for are compression tips, distortion tips, EQ tips and envelope shaping tips.

If anyone can lend a hand or some advice that would be really helpful. If I sounded completely out to lunch then let me know and guide me in the right direction. Another option may be to synthesize my own kicks but I would like to use the sample I own if possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by fraza; 22-02-2012 at 08:16 AM..

Advertisements

fraza is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
fraza
Soundwave Mangler
fraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to beholdfraza is a splendid one to behold
Windsor/Detroit
MC Status: 897
Re: The Official™ Modern Techno Bass Drum Thread

Looks like I answered my own questions. Used the compressor, maximizer, distortion fx send and gate in maschine and was able to dial in the settings I was looking for.

Advertisements

fraza is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote