is this a ms20 "throaty" bass
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 16-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler
mic3756 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
is this a ms20 "throaty" bass

was hoping there would be someone who could help with to explain this bass. Its in my brain that its a MS20, and I think these artist play with the ms20 when I saw them live.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

both start around 24 secs

Advertisements

mic3756 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: is this a ms20 "throaty" bass

Sounds more like low-pass filter enveloped FM to me.

edit: Here, a short realtime recording of me playing/tweaking it.

Last edited by Evelon; 16-12-2014 at 03:07 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
mic3756 (17-12-2014)
Old 17-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Sounds more like low-pass filter enveloped FM to me.

edit: Here, a short realtime recording of me playing/tweaking it.
haha Thanks Evelon, you always step up to the plate and I appreciate it mate.

Yeah I'm figuring its not the MS20, That FM sounds nice, is that from FM8 or (operator) by anychance? because I would have no idea where to start on this one

FYI for some reason Fm bass always reminds me of bass guitar sounds lol.
Old 17-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

I used Vember Surge (which is a hybrid wavetable/FM/subtractive synth), but you can do this in FM8 to. I just prefer Surge, cause I can add "normal" waveforms to it. Haha.

FM is powerful. When it was first introduced in the earlier game consoles, the sounds and music switched gear.
There is a reason why Yamaha DX7 is the most popular/sold synth ever.

Was supposed to post a link to vintagesyntexplorer, but my damn smartphone is not so smart (can't post link with Firefox android).

------------------
Old 17-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
I used Vember Surge (which is a hybrid wavetable/FM/subtractive synth), but you can do this in FM8 to. I just prefer Surge, cause I can add "normal" waveforms to it. Haha.

FM is powerful. When it was first introduced in the earlier game consoles, the sounds and music switched gear.
There is a reason why Yamaha DX7 is the most popular/sold synth ever.

Was supposed to post a link to vintagesyntexplorer, but my damn smartphone is not so smart (can't post link with Firefox android).

Ok so Im in the studio now, I'm about to start having a go can I ask what you use to get the sound and how you shaped it. Im considering DL the Vember Surge demo if you can screenshot it then I can slowly figure out back on the FM8.

EDIT: I would normally say is a saw or square type waves shape but with FM now I don't know it could be anything
Old 17-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist

I can post the preset here, soonish. First breakfast with the kids.

------------------
Old 17-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
I can post the preset here, soonish. First breakfast with the kids.
Thanks Evelon, I have the demo this thing it pretty cool. Not sure you can load preset but I'll give it a go in the, might need to use a screen shot if not instead, demo also has Fewer wavetables but hopefully I can get the gist of it.
Old 17-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic3756 View Post
Thanks Evelon, I have the demo this thing it pretty cool. Not sure you can load preset but I'll give it a go in the, might need to use a screen shot if not instead, demo also has Fewer wavetables but hopefully I can get the gist of it.
Yeah, it's pretty cool. I don't know either if you can load presets, but I UL the preset (below the screenshot) anyways. Happy tweaking.

Also, the EQ curve above was used to get the sound a bit closer to the original.
Here's the preset (.fxp):

Last edited by Evelon; 17-12-2014 at 10:55 AM..

Advertisements

------------------