Contests!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 15-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Bylno
Learning The Ropes
Bylno is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Contests!

Do you have contest on this site? Since I'm pretty new to the forum do I not know the answer to this question. I thought it'd be cool to, for example, choose a specific genre which every producer have to work with. Then get a group of people who'll act as judges, rating all sorts of things. And as I said, I'm new so I don't know if contest like these already excist. :3

Advertisements

Bylno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: My stupid skype buds
Old 16-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Suiyoubi
Savage Mad Cunt
Suiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MC
MC Status: 24584798
Thanked 1,560 Times in 950 Posts
Re: Contests!

You can't compete in music/art man.
If you want to take the beauty and soul out of your work of art then these are the guys for you:

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
But that's just my personal opinion.
Suiyoubi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Bylno
Learning The Ropes
Bylno is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiyoubi View Post
If you want to take the beauty and soul out of your work of art then these are the guys for you:

But that's just my personal opinion.
That's kinda true though. I just thought it would be a fun thing to do.
Bylno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiyoubi View Post
If you want to take the beauty and soul out of your work of art...
If you want to get into soundtracks and other commission based stuff, it's not about beauty and soul... just getting something that people will enjoy and meets the brief. You don't need to worry about losing the soul, because (in the sense I think you mean - your personal creative vision coming to life) it never had it! So it could be useful for someone who wants to practise that sort of approach.

I often set myself challenges like this if I've got no real inspiration, I'll just see how close I can get to a particular sound in a few hours. I don't normally look to share the results, but sometimes I get an idea out of it. I guess it's more of a check on my production skills than anything else.

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Suiyoubi
Savage Mad Cunt
Suiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MCSuiyoubi is a savage MC
MC Status: 24584798
Thanked 1,560 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_crow View Post
If you want to get into soundtracks and other commission based stuff, it's not about beauty and soul... just getting something that people will enjoy and meets the brief. You don't need to worry about losing the soul, because (in the sense I think you mean - your personal creative vision coming to life) it never had it! So it could be useful for someone who wants to practise that sort of approach.

I often set myself challenges like this if I've got no real inspiration, I'll just see how close I can get to a particular sound in a few hours. I don't normally look to share the results, but sometimes I get an idea out of it. I guess it's more of a check on my production skills than anything else.
Making music professionally (getting payed) and writing something by request is not the same thing as competing.

Let me make a ridiculous example: Someone might think Skrillex is a better producer that Deadmau5 someone else might think the opposite. So what you end up with in the end is just someones opinion of how good they are musically compared to one another.
It's not like sports where one team can beat the other doing the exact same thing, may it be chasing a ball around on a grass field or skid around on the ice after a puck.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Again, this is just my personal opinion.
Suiyoubi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

The answer is yes, we sometimes do this already.
We're currently mulling over the idea of adding a section where outsiders could also post their remix contests and stuff like that, if that's something that interests people?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
We're currently mulling over the idea of adding a section where outsiders could also post their remix contests and stuff like that, if that's something that interests people?
I would like it I think or at least try some contests out IF it wouldn't get flooded with all the EDM stuff.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
kellabelle
Regular Freak
kellabelle is currently spamming hard
Atlanta, GA

I think contests are healthy external motivational factors that would be nice to see on this site.
kellabelle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
RecoatP4nda
Granular Poster
RecoatP4nda has a spectacular aura aboutRecoatP4nda has a spectacular aura aboutRecoatP4nda has a spectacular aura about
<--
MC Status: 210

I think it would be fun if there were contests like "make the coolest transition sound effect" or "make the best beat with 32 note kick drums" or things like that. Not full tracks, but just little fun things to get the creative juices flowing. Sorry for the massively overused cliche right there, BTW.

------------------
A blog about music and other stuff, courtesy of a friend of mine and me. Look at it if you want. Don't if you don't.
RecoatP4nda is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I'm assuming this is a serious post (if it's not, lol at me) but I hope this happens. I also hope that people drift away from offering bogus 'prizes' so we can all see what each artist has made out of a track. Could be a lot of fun and a growing experience for everyone.

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote