Google's Infinite Drum Machine - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 08-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #21
BALLZ!
nob Twiddler
BALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MC
խելագար սեւահեր
MC Status: 11265264
Re: Google's Infinite Drum Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
So yeah. If any Max heads out there who might want to get involved with forking this project into a Max / Max 4 Live module over Christmas / New Year and beyond... Well... I think the project it might have some legs...
I would love to contribute, but I'm not that good of a programmer (at least not yet), and I've done mostly Java, so not very familiar with JS (and certainly not Max). Can maybe help out with simpler modules or ideas for GUI.

Regardless of whether or not I have anything useful to contribute, should we get a thread rolling to discuss ideas for implementation? Maybe we want the ability load 16/whatever tracks and play them back using MIDI input, or a sequencer? For each track, options to load a specific sound, a completely random sound, or a random sound within a specified category, such as "kick-like", "snare-like", "beep", depending on the mapping?

Advertisements

------------------
tsxfgijhkt,ygt54esdy6hn
BALLZ! is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #22
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLZ! View Post
Maybe we want the ability load 16/whatever tracks and play them back using MIDI input, or a sequencer?
Okay so the source has four tracks and then you scroll around the sound map to hot load samples. I think this is really cool and if it were possible to create a device that worked as is on the website, that would be an awesome start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLZ! View Post
For each track, options to load a specific sound, a completely random sound, or a random sound within a specified category, such as "kick-like", "snare-like", "beep", depending on the mapping?
So basically the t-sne maps work is that they take a set of reference samples and then they "map" the "distance" of each sound from the reference samples. That is, how close in timbre the sound is to the reference samples. So if you check out the samples in the demo, you'll hear that they all sound 'similar' to the sounds around them.

I think it would be relatively easy to write a bash script that merges a collection of audio samples into a single file, maps them, chunks then out into separately mapped files and converts the t-sne to JSON, as the creators did.

From the Max docs, it's possible to perform file system operations using JS so it should be able to read the sample library from JSON.

The only issue with regard to the map display would be whether or not it's possible to do canvas drawings in Max. Although from the Docs it says that it supports OpenGL which means that it should be possible.

In terms of outputting sound, it should be pretty simple to hook up input for MIDI sequencing, output for audio, all of that.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 02:05 AM   #23
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
Wow that sounds pretty cool. If I was better at Max I'd surely give it a go.
Yeah I'm a total max newbie. I've done heaps of JavaScript interactivity / animation with Canvas / OpenGL and whenever I'm doing that stuff I think, 'Wouldn't it be great if you could code audio apps in JS' then one day I realised that Max lets you code a heap of shit in JS... so it's worth a shot to find out what can be done
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 02:43 AM   #24
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 124610
Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,461 Posts

I haven't touched that much of gen~ but best part is that you can open max devices and see how they've been built. My best bet would to be to check devices with gen~ implementation, thinking something like convolution reverb, to see how gen~ module is connected to the rest of processing. Building UI in max is nothing compared with making entire thing functional and stable.

Maybe there's a way to extract samples and create a massive drum rack for Live or something like that and set macros to switch between samples.

Last edited by ms_; 13-12-2016 at 02:53 AM..
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #25
s'liM
Granular Poster
s'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MC
MC Status: 8389235

This reminds me of timbreID for Pure Data.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
s'liM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #26
Matech
Granular Poster
Matech has a spectacular aura aboutMatech has a spectacular aura aboutMatech has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Really great concept.

You can do this in sampler but the limit is 127 as far as I know. Chuck a MAX LFO set to random on the select knob and you´re good to go.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
never too much, if a song doesn't sound right, delete what doesn't sound right or just keep it, add more then label it as experimental...
Matech is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #27
El°HYM
Learning The Ropes
El°HYM will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

surely one of the better uses of AI

Advertisements

El°HYM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote