Logic 9 - Random Sustain & Missing Notes on MIDI Out?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
Opus Science
Soundwave Mangler
Opus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond repute
Brighton
MC Status: 3360
Logic 9 - Random Sustain & Missing Notes on MIDI Out?

Hey guys,

I've got a problem right now and wondered if you could help me out. Symptoms are missing notes & random sustained notes (like note-off hasn't registered) on MIDI send data. Recording in, the data goes in, but doesn't play back right. There are clear note on/off events in the events list and monitor in the Environment (and the sustain pedal isn't being used and not showing any misfires in the event window either). If I nudge the events in the piano roll then they work just fine.

I.e. the data's going in as it should, but the sound isn't coming out right unless I tinker with the MIDI events

So these notes are visible in the event window and the environment monitor. They clearly have note on/off values, yet the synths aren't responding to every note on/off and it's getting rather frustrating .

I've gone through and streamlined MIDI send data to just what I need, ensured nothing else is trying to use the MIDI channels and cluttering up the sent info. I have attempted sending MIDI now across multiple projects and the problem is universal. I've removed all control surface commands and control devices (such as my Presonus Faderport) and experimented with MIDI buffer delay to try and ease things. But nothing has cured it.

Setup is as follows:

MIDI interface is a MOTU Fastlane.

JV1080 is set to MIDI Channel 1 and is plugged into Port A Out of the Fastlane

MIDI Thru from JV1080 goes to the Novation's (set to MIDI Channel 2) MIDI In

MIDI Thru from Novation goes to the Nord which is set to MIDI Channel 3

The MIDI OUT from the Novation goes to Port A IN and Nord to Port B IN on the MOTU.

All cabling is tested and working. I've swapped out the Fastlane for another spare Fastlane I have. The problem persists.

If I remove one or more of the synth from the setup, the problem is still there (regardless of which keyboard is inputting data and which synth is outputting sound).

I'm almost certain the problem lies with Logic itself, but the damned thing is now so streamlined and clean in terms of MIDI send, I've run out of ideas.

I should note, I have no problem running Software Instruments. They're working as normal and behaving just fine.

Any help, tips or pointers, massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

------------------
Opus Science is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
Opus Science
Soundwave Mangler
Opus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond repute
Brighton
MC Status: 3360
Re: Logic 9 - Random Sustain & Missing Notes on MIDI Out?

Well, a mate just popped round with cheap Lexicon Audio/MIDI interface to test. The MIDI from that is fine. As I tried two MOTU Fastlanes, I can only assume there is a driver issue or something. Hey ho. At least I know what the problem is now and can get back to the drawing board on how best to run my MIDI setup.

Advertisements

------------------
Opus Science is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote