Bitwig: Share your findings & experiences - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 27-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #21
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts
Re: Bitwig Studio (new DAW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1=1? View Post
Here's my list of notes from 4 hours (actually more like 7) using it. I am too fatigued to continue. I'm glad I tried it out before buying it. I think it'll eventually be the DAW for me, but there's some key things that should be resolved first.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I hope to clean this up and keep it up to date, mostly for myself to track their software and when it will be good for me to use. If I'm wrong in any place on there please tell me
Your notes are great, very cool. There seems to be many reasons, in my brief glance at your notes, why I wouldn't want to invest in this right now!!

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #22
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of
The Bay
MC Status: 1010

I think depending on where you are it could be a good DAW for you, I think eventually it'll be amazing. For me I'm pretty proficient at Ableton and Bitwig is not similar enough to Ableton or complete enough where I feel like switching over. I'm going to continue to play with it though. That's the beauty of the unlimited demo.

I am going to give it another almost full day and adjust the notes as I go.
1=1? is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 1=1?
Muse-ic (27-03-2014)
Old 27-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #23
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

I'm fairly new in the production game. Although I have had Reason for a few years I have only started really digging in and learning production lingo. I would like another DAW to use with Reason. It makes logistic sense to use Cubase as it was made to go with Reason. However, at the moment I am learning LIVE (9 lite). I have been keeping up on all the Bitwig news and it has caught my eye for sure. I figure I have time to wait and see how it pans out.
Old 27-03-2014, 06:18 AM   #24
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of
The Bay

If you want to use it with Reason, keep in mind that Bitwig do not support re-wire and according to their website "have no current plans" to support re-wire. Which I assume is how you'd use them together.
Old 27-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #25
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
If you want to use it with Reason, keep in mind that Bitwig do not support re-wire and according to their website "have no current plans" to support re-wire. Which I assume is how you'd use them together.
Yeah, evidently you would have to use Jack. I have heard it's not an easy setup to use with Reason.
Old 27-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #26
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

I just learned a crap load more about it. Some of the issues comes from the redundancy and verboseness of the interface, it makes it not easy to figure out how to use. The edit menu is dealt with as a separate interface, but it's just a bigger version of the detail editor with no extra functionality, but jumping around is confusing because there's so many "interfaces". I wish they could take edit out and just make an "expand detail editor" that slid it up, or just reorganize the navigation so it's simpler.

Anyway, I am going to give it a solid day tomorrow and then decide where it fits in for me. I also am starting to learn that I should write out conceptually what is different in those notes because that's slowly becoming more clear to me. I just finished the manual, let me know if any of you are having troubles, there's a chance I picked up the solution on the way.
Old 27-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #27
scyn
IDMf Artist
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883006
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Re: Bitwig: Share your findings & experiences

If you want to insert an arbitrarily lengthed midi or audio clip - select a region with the Time Selection tool and consolidate (ctrl+j). I'm finding the in-clip audio editing quite neat as well - it kinda keeps the workflow right there in the clip & seems to encourage more experimentation as opposed to when warping and clip editing are separate processes.

The selection tools are a bit finicky still. I find that using the Time Selection tool is a bit hit & miss - especially when trying to split a clip or select regions of time.

The Bounce option is nice - but they they need to allow you to select a region of a clip and only bounce that down. I don't need to bounce a whole clip every time.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #28
scyn
IDMf Artist
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Can't name clips! This kind of goes in conjunction with the Cmd-R thing I will add later, but you can't name the clips, it's very annoying coming from Ableton where you are used to being able to organize and label everything.
Clips can be named in the inspector. A context-click or ctrl-r would be nice though, but I find using the 'i' inspector shortcut key brings it up quick enough.
Quote:
Can't seem to bring down selection of automation. In Ableton you can highlight a second of automation, hold shift and drag the selected automation up or down. Doesn't seem to be any way to do this in Bitwig nor can I figure out how to show it not working. Here's ableton:
+1 the automation lanes are finicky and the selection tools suck a bit.I kinda agree with most of your blog post.

Also I can't seem to map a lot of controls (transport, track mute, arm) to midi or keyboard. Seems that if you don't get the 'Learn Controller Assignment' option when context-clicking then you can't map it? I see no options for any kind of keyboard mapping.
Old 27-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #29
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 38110

I can't tell if this is a glitch or not:

When you create a note in the piano roll I'm not hearing an audition. Glitch or did they decide to go back to the Stone Age?
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #30
scyn
IDMf Artist
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
I can't tell if this is a glitch or not:

When you create a note in the piano roll I'm not hearing an audition. Glitch or did they decide to go back to the Stone Age?
Or there's a third option. Click the audition button. The little speaker - bottom left.

Thanks to scyn
mnkvolcno (27-03-2014)
Old 27-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #31
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744052491
Thanked 7,703 Times in 4,749 Posts

Quote:
TheBlackDog ‏@TheBlackDog 4m
Just spent 10 minutes trying to get a WAV into Bitwig, gave up.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #32
scyn
IDMf Artist
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Lol @ blackdog. It took me 2 seconds to drag it from my desktop in Bitwig. Or a bit longer to locate it in my bitwig Library and drag it in.

Noobs.

(Unless there's an issue with samplerate or something. I dunno. Works fine for me.)
Thanks to scyn
lolirl (27-03-2014)
Old 27-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #33
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744052491
Thanked 7,703 Times in 4,749 Posts

Yeah, just seemed like a silly thing for such experienced folk to say and sounds like they weren't really that interested in giving it a fair go.
RTFM? Tuts? Forums?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #34
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Clips can be named in the inspector. A context-click or ctrl-r would be nice though, but I find using the 'i' inspector shortcut key brings it up quick enough.
Yeah I am adding that to my notes from last nights playing. Even more annoying that there's a 3rd way to rename. Very inconsistent.
Old 27-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #35
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Or there's a third option. Click the audition button. The little speaker - bottom left.

Yea I did that. Guess it's glitching on me.
Old 27-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #36
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

Does that button also reset to off all the time like the one in the browser does?
Old 27-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #37
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

OK.. it's not glitching on me. It's just not a feature. Wow.

What the fuck? This was a feature in Cubase like 20 years ago. Still can't get my head around how the piano roll is such an often neglected aspect of DAWs. That's where many of us write the fucking music!
Old 27-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #38
spejs
Minor Glitch
spejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nice
Koper
MC Status: 410

Quote:
Just the fact that the crash reporting is right inside the DAW rather than having to manually email them files from my computer is a huge plus in my mind. I email ableton about that every month or so. Why do I have to go find the file and open my email to tell you what broke?

Big Minus: did not restore my project (maybe because it's demo mode?)
i have ableton 9 and when it crashes it creates a crash report and restores my project....didnt fail once& it crashes a lot(i have a shitti viewcon midi to usb interface & have to use an old generic driver)

anyway i havent had the chance to try it yet, but reading trough the features i find that open controller api could be a nice feature for DAW geeks

Last edited by spejs; 27-03-2014 at 07:56 PM..
spejs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #39
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by spejs View Post
i have ableton 9 and when it crashes it creates a crash report and restores my project....didnt fail once& it crashes a lot(i have a shitti viewcon midi to usb interface & have to use an old generic driver)
I am not sure I understand your post, but when Ableton crashes it generates a report and restores your project. Then you go in your file system, locate the crash report, open your email, attach it to the email and send it to them.

When Bitwig crashes, in stores the report and when you open it again a dialog comes up that says "Bitwig crashed what were you doing?" you enter what you were doing in the box and hit send. WAY nicer. I have been telling Ableton about this in every other crash report and Bitwigs already got it.

Also I updated by doc. Going to work with it more today, check all the issues I listed and update it again.

Last edited by 1=1?; 27-03-2014 at 08:10 PM..
Old 27-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #40
spejs
Minor Glitch
spejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nice
Koper
MC Status: 410

Quote:
I am not sure I understand your post, but when Ableton crashes it generates a report and restores your project. Then you go in your file system, locate the crash report, open your email, attach it to the email and send it to them.

When Bitwig crashes, in stores the report and when you open it again a dialog comes up that says "Bitwig crashed what were you doing?" you enter what you were doing in the box and hit send. WAY nicer. I have been telling Ableton about this in every other crash report and Bitwigs already got it.

Also I updated by doc. Going to work with it more today, check all the issues I listed and update it again.
aaa...got it...i understood wrong :ph34r:

Advertisements

spejs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote